My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really there's only one big curveball in Voyager.. and no you're not there yet.

2. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

The Rise

Voyager is trying to help a planet avoid being destroyed by asteroids. There is a scene in the beginning where they try to explode them, but it does not work….why don’t they just use a tractor beam and set them on another course?

I like it that Neelix is so excited to work on his Star Trek training. He does have good ideas, and tries to be useful. He did go get extra medical supplies before going on an away mission; this is a good idea. I get the feeling that I am in the minority, but I am a Neelix fan!!

Another shuttle bites the dust! Seriously, is this an ongoing joke? The writers do realize that this is silly right? Neelix goes with Tuvok to the planet, they are stranded (when the shuttle breaks), and Neelix sees the Seattle Needle Thingy that will bring them high enough up to contact Voyager. Neelix works hard to get the carriage working, and he tries to keep moral up! He even yelled at Tuvok, so he would listen to him! He made a great comment, “It’s strange I really like him (Tuvok), I just wish the feeling was mutual”. I really liked this statement. I think it shows that Neelix is not as dumb as some people think. He knows he is not necessary liked. I like Neelix’s part in this episode. He really is a good character. He is loyal, resourceful, and kind. I do admit he is a bit quirky! I like it that he is being trained to have a more active role on the ship.

Favorite part: Neelix to Tuvok: “I am glad to see your interpersonal skills are improving. You are learning to motivate people”. Badass, Neelix sticks up for himself in this episode, and doesn’t fall all goggley eyes around Tuvok, and I like it that he quite calling him Mr. Vulcan or Mr. Tuvok….I never decided if that was patronizing or an innocent comment.

Least favorite part: The Frankenstein walk that Tuvok does when Neelix lets him back into the carriage after the one guy tried to kill him. It was pretty ridiculous when the guy Tuvok fights goes backward out of the carriage screaming…it was pretty cheesy graphics.

3. Qutluch

Favorite Son

They really should be embarrassed over this one! Kim hears things, fires on a vessel without permission, has weird flashbacks about his family and childhood, and gets tricked into thinking he is from a different planet. When Voyager is attacked a Tarisian ship comes to their aid and claim that Kim is one of them. They claim he was conceived there and taken to Earth to be implanted into an Earth woman. They claim that their DNA helps them to return, and that the goal is to bring new DNA and cultures into their society. The society is filled with mostly women, there are few men. They are fawning over Kim….(my intimal reaction after the first Tarisian scene was to vomit. My secondary reaction was, “please let them all be black widows and kill him”). The men on the planet get to marry multiple women, and then the women eat him (or close enough). At least they are kind enough to blindfold them and tie their hands first!

The women try to convince Harry to join with them and procreate on the planet. Kim keeps refusing, even after all of the sexual innuendo that is thrown at him! This was a truly horrible episode, and all it did for the series was make everyone look gullible and silly. I guess I could say, at least Kim showed a little backbone and tried to run away.

Favorite part: B’Elanna to Harry: “What happened to your face?” (He was born with it….)

Least favorite part: The episode. Thus far my least favorite episode!

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I the only person who likes Favorite Son?

The Rise was very old school feel, could have been a TOS ep.

5. Qutluch

Teacake, why do you like that episode?

6. teacake

I like the whole sci fi idea that you aren't who or what you always thought you were, that you are now ready to wake up to your real species. Yes they made all that up but what you see through Harry's eyes is someone who lives that reality, however briefly.

7. Qutluch

Okay, I agree the premise could be interesting, but it was badly executed!

8. Qutluch

Before and After

I watched this over a week ago, so I am just going to say that I liked this episode. Kes is one of my favorite characters. I like the mix of sensibility and "character" that she has. She is one of the most caring and forgiving characters that I have seen on Star Trek. I like the quick look into the future, the this-is-what-could-have-been-but-will-never-be glimpse. Kes and Paris...this would have been an interesting combination, and I think I would like it. I think Kes would be good for Paris, I would guess that she would "calm" him down and make him strive to be helpful and good. The whole thing with Kim becoming Paris' son-in-law was quite funny!! Paris a grandfather at 30ish...his parents would never have guessed!! It was sad that Janeway died, but it was also interesting to see a glimpse of Voyager without Janeway. They seemed to have done a decent job without her, at least after their "year of darkness". Overall, I liked the episode. One of my favorite parts was Kes' smirk when everyone tried to get information out of her pertaining to thier futures. My least favorite part is that we will never see this affecting Kes again, but it would logically...no one would see their future, their kids, grandkids, etc., and not have lasting emotion or feelings because of it...

9. Qutluch

Hopefully, I will have a few episode posts today. It is my annual, "2nd Thanksgiving" so while I am cooking today I am going on a Star Trek marathon!

10. Qutluch

Real Life

The opening of this scene was kind of creepy. The woman who played the wife pulled off a creepy, I’m-going-to-melt-down-and-pull-a-Bobbit-on-you type of persona. So, the Doc, made himself family. How very cute. Blond children, blond wife, too Aryan race for me, why didn’t they give him a Vulcan family or at least kids that did not look so plastic…at least it got better!!

The Doc invited Kes and B’Elanna over for dinner, which was hysterical. He has a NAME!! Kenneth, it actually seems appropriate; I like it, but I don’t feel like it will last past the episode…. I was counting down the time it took for B’Elanna to freak out; the constant compliments and fervent “I love our Dad/Husband” was driving me nuts too! Kes has a much more natural knack for giving advice, and when Kes agrees it really does see the sensible thing to do; time to change the program!

So Paris is actually openly hitting on B’Elanna now…I like the sexual innuendo. When the light started to flair in front of the ship, (when they were flirting) I kind of feel like Paris and B’Elanna would have been on their way to the bridge before Janeway called them down.

When the Doc set down his rules why would it have been dangerous for his daughter to be playing with kids two to four years older than herself? I like the 2nd-version of the son, he wants to be a Klingon warrior, and at one point he insults the Doc in Klingo! The Docs daughter was injured, and when he was on the point of crying, he ended the program.

I like the continuity of the A and B stories in this episode. The bridge and Paris are working on the eddies and Kes, B’Elanna, and the Doc are all involved in the Docs search to understand humanity via family life. Toward the end, the two stories merge together when Paris has a head injury and it reminds the Doctor of his daughter’s injury that she was dying from. The end, when the daughter dies, almost made me cry, it was truly sad. That was probably the second saddest part of Star Trek that I have seen, after Jadzia died in DS9.

Favorite part: QUTLUCH dagger! The Doc’s kid’s friends have a Qutluch dagger! My namesake! Woo Hoo, this was the first episode I have actually seen the dagger in!

Least favorite part: I really think their shoes/boots should be magnetic or something so when they have disturbances and the ship shakes all over people would not fall down and get knocked all about.

11. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Being a Paris fan, I've always liked this one -- from the flirty scene in the mess hall (also the little detail of Tom being out of rations; we don't get enough reminders of the logistical problems caused by them being stranded in the DQ) to the delicious irony of both him and B'Elanna being the ones to give the Doc advice on family dynamics. After all, they're the ones with the most childhood baggage on the crew ...

Liked the Tom/Doc dynamic, too -- funny how the Doc keeps turning to his assistant for advice and help (see also Lifesigns, later stuff you haven't seen yet) and how Tom delivers. Their back-and-forth of mutual disdain and reliance continues throughout the series, and it's a lovely thing to watch, much under-appreciated.

12. Qutluch

Distant Origin

It is never a good sign when my husband shakes his head at the beginning of an episode and tells me I am going to hate this episode…he knows me well...

An alien race finds a human skull, and a professor from their race speaks to the government officials to try and convince them that they were not the first species in their area. The government does not like their heretics, and they the two professor types go out and find Voyager. When they find VOY they walk around observing and making analyses about them…the mating rituals of Paris and B’Elanna were humorous. However, the Professor was too egotistical and thought they could walk around cloaked and undetected, but the crew found them.

The professor got away, and Veer was captured. Veer took Chakotay with him. Turns out the aliens originated on Earth and were closely related to the dinosaurs. The particular dinosaur must have lived and evolved into a new highly evolved species.

Okay, problem with this episode: they are changing the creation story/evolutionary doctrine of Earth. By changing a core element of history and evolution, it should have effects throughout the entire Star Trek realm, including the other series, but it doesn’t and I am sure that it will not continue over throughout VOY either… It is hard to make such a strong and sweeping change in one episode and not examine it again. This is what I dislike most about VOY. It is episodic, and rarely contains any story arc. Some of the episodes that they are creating logically should have lasting effects, but they do not. Apparently, they need a Vulcan in the writing crew!

Also, if the dinosaur species was just evolving and finding language, etc., how did they make the great leap to having good enough technology to launch them into space?

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved this ep. The biggest "problem" with the ep is that we the audience forget that "our" Voyager will continue to be affected by temporal echoes from the future (that year of darkness you referenced), hence "we will never see this affecting Kes again..."

:p

JANEWAY: Time travel. Ever since my first day in the job as a Starfleet Captain I swore I'm never let myself get caught in one of these god-forsaken paradoxes. The future is the past, the past is the future. It all gives me a headache.

:guffaw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9x7_IC4Mg&feature=player_detailpage#t=19s

Things I liked? Janeway & Torres didn't stay dead, for one. ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9x7_IC4Mg[/yt]

Watching Kes age backwards, garnering information and deducing what/where the problem was, for two.

Actually seeing kes give birth AND be born, for three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbZnoGJR1Zs

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbZnoGJR1Zs[/yt]

And as much as I am a STAUNCH paris/Torres shipper, I really liked the Paris/Kes love story... and because I'm such a STAUNCH Paris/Torres & Janeway/Chakotay shipper, I liked the nods towards their relationships (although one needs a magnifying glass to see the J/C nod.)

After getting the casuality report from the krneim attack, where 13 people died including Janeway & Torres, Chakotay commiserates with Tom...

CHAKOTAY: Tom, I'm going to need you to stay here and treat these people. When this is over we're all going to have a lot of grieving to do.

I liked seeing the Doctor come up with not one but two names for himself... Dr. Van Gogh and Dr Mozart. :rolleyes:

Overall, a wonderful ep which will have

:eek: SPOILER ALERT :eek: SPOILER ALERT :eek: SPOILER ALERT :eek:

an interesting reprise in "the future".

:bolian: :bolian: :bolian:

14. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Although the holoprogram makes me cringe along with B'Elanna and Kes, and the end makes me cry, I still think THIS is my fav part of the entire show. Remember, it comes just 6 eps AFTER "Blood Fever"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX7QE7nWZTk

PARIS: A beautiful woman should never have to eat alone. What are you reading?
    TORRES: It's nothing important.
    PARIS: Women Warriors at the River of Blood? :bolian:
    TORRES: It's just escapist reading.
    PARIS: 'Rork turned his fierce eye upon her, and B'Neah felt her heart begin to quicken, even as her hand went to her dagger. She had intended to plunge it into his throat, but something about him made her hesitate.' B'Elanna, is this a Klingon Romance novel?
    TORRES: Klingons do have what you might call a romantic side. It's a bit more vigorous than most. :klingon:
    PARIS: I think I'll read it. Maybe it'll give me some ideas how to make your heart quicken. :drool:
    TORRES: It's not a technical manual, Tom.
    PARIS: Well, that depends what you mean by technical.
    TORRES: To an engineer that means specializing in particular systems.
    PARIS: I think that definition works.
    TORRES: I can't promise I won't put a dagger in your throat... :guffaw:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX7QE7nWZTk[/yt]

15. Alpha Flyer

YES! Agree 100%.

16. Qutluch

Displaced

Another opening with Tom and B’Elanna…we may have a relationship devolving!! While they are arguing an alien visitor appears in front of them, while they are trying to figure out how that happened they realize that Kes disappeared as soon as the alien appeared. After that a multitude of people began disappearing and appearing.

B’Elanna figures out that the aliens are not accidently switching places with the crew, and she is attacked and sent to the planet where the rest of the crew is. There is another species through a portal there too. It looks like the aliens take over ships for their own purposes, and put them in a holographic worlds similar to theirs…basically they are put into a “nice” prison. They use the Doctor to scan the biosphere to find a way out, while doing so they find ways to get from one spot to another, and they outsmart the aliens and take control of their technology. They send them to the cold biosphere where they will freeze to death. Turns out that they are on a ship and there are at least four separate biospheres where other races are also being held. Janeway takes over and returns the other imprisoned groups to their own planets, and puts VOY back on their way…it is unclear what happens to the aliens. Janeway makes a threat that they will leave them on a planet to their liking if they do not cooperate, but it is unclear if that is what happens.

There is fun interplay between B’Elanna and Paris in this episode. They get in a fight, work through it, and were (in my opinion) close to kissing on the planet when they were arguing, but they were transported out of the cold biosphere before they could. At the end when they are back on VOY in the holodeck I kind of wish B’Elanna would have reached over and either held or squeezed Paris’ hand. I like the ongoing B Story with B’Elanna and Paris. I cannot wait for them to get together (and if they don’t, I am going to be pissed)!

I like this episode for a couple of reasons, 1. I like the continued arc with the B story. 2. This episode showed their heavy reliance on the Doctor and I like that. I think he is an integral part of their crew and they do not admit to that enough. 3. This episode showed how well they get along and work together as a crew. 4. This episode had a positive interaction with the other species being held captive. I think many of the interactions with aliens ends up being negative, and I like it that they helped another race out. Plus, I found it funny that the other fellow loved what appeared to be a carrot!

Least favorite part: Kes was the first to disappear, but when they begin showing the other planet Kes did not play a large role. I would like to have seen her do more.

17. Alpha Flyer

My, you're busy today! Yes, a wonderful ep, one of my favourites (of course I am a Tom/B'Elanna fan). That whole B-plot, and the temperature theme it plays with, was wonderfully done.

The one thing that will never cease to bug me though is, after they shoot that Nyrian in the ice cave with the one shot they have, THEY DON'T PICK UP HIS $%^$# GUN!!!!

Humpf.

18. Qutluch

Great point, they were trained better than that...maybe it was hypotherma kicking in...

19. Qutluch

Worst Case Scenario

Chakotay brought up the Marquis (it has been so long since they had a mention, I forgot how to spell it and had to look it up). I immediately raised an eyebrow. Chakotay asked B’Elanna which side she would be on when the shooting started…yeah, I am not falling for it. Something “off” is going on! To start with, Chakotay is too smart to ask that question if he did not know the answer, and he definitely did not know the answer. It would be a huge risk otherwise because all she had to do was tell Janeway if she was not with him; Chakotay is too smart to allow this to happen.

Seska is there! Welcome back, it has been far too long!! OH, OH, OH, Neelix would never leave Janeway’s side; not even for Chakotay….not a chance!! Neelix is a bigger Janeway fan than JanewayRulz!

Things become much clearer when we figure out that B’Elanna is in the holodeck living a holodeck novel that she found, but could not figure out who wrote it. Paris talks B’Elanna into letting Paris join her in the novel to figure out the author. HMMMM….my guess is Tuvok. (Keep in mind I write my posts as the show plays) I think Tuvok would make a great candidate. Maybe he wrote this early on as a training security exercise in case anything happened, or there was a problem with the Marquis….it would also be pretty cool if Janeway wrote it, but I am not seeing that. Turns out B’Elanna blabbed to the Doc and now everyone knows about it!

YES, WOOHOO!! When I heard what I suspected affirmed I actually jumped up and down and yelled WOOHOO!! Awesome, awesome, awesome!! It made more sense than anything else!

The scene between Tuvok and Paris was excellent! Their bickering had me in tears. I love the continued story arc between B’Elanna and Paris “Maybe a steamy love seen between the Starfleet con officer and the Maquis engineer…” “Oh yeah, that’s realistic!”

They enter the holodeck, and the moment they engage the program, Seska’s hologram takes over and they have to run. The com system and the transporters are down, and the doors are locked. The power grid is rigged to explode. Janeway’s hologram disintegrates herself trying to fire a phaser. The doctor beats them both up. The Jeffries tubes fill with a plasma leak…on and on with the booby traps that Seska engaged when she happened to come across the program.

Meanwhile, Harry and B’Elana figure out what is going on, and start helping out through the sub-routines. With every piece of helpful news, though, Seska adjusts to re-compensates. A few small items show up to help out. A plasma extinguisher shows up in the Jeffries tube. Messages are sent through the wall panels, but Chakotay appears out of nowhere. Chakotay’s personality gets tweaked, but Seska kills him. The Rucani attack and Tuvok gets the phaser from her. Seska sets off the self-destruct, threatening to blow up the actual ship if they don’t give up. Tuvok passes her the phaser rifle, but when she fires, it disintegrates her the way that it did to Janeway earlier

Great episode, love the whole thing, and I truly appreciate the continuation of the B’Elana Paris thread. I cannot wait to see how they keep that story line going. This is it for today; my turkey is almost done…now, for Thanksgiving Part II!

20. teacake

A fantastic episode :)

Thanksgiving II?