How did the Nero, his crew and ship escape Rura Penthe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Sep 17, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

Sadly, I never did see Trek 09 when it was in the movie theaters, but I've always had on question about the movie. How did Nero and his crew escape the prison planet Rura Penthe, and then get back aboard his ship the Narada?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another convienent plot device that doesn't stand up to scutiny.

3. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

So it was never explained???

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

In fact, the movie covers neither Nero & Co.'s imprisonment nor their escape from (never-identified) prison planet. Such scenes of capture, prison, interrogation and escape as were filmed do not appear in the finished film. (A tiny exception: there is one very brief shot of Nero's face which appears in the mind-meld sequence which I believe was taken from film shot for the interrogation scene, but OldSpock's meld narration says nothing about it.)

Well, no. In the movie as released, the Klingon thread doesn't exist, and what does not exist cannot be scrutinized (because that would be an examination of nothing.)

Never explained, correct.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since it was all deleted, the whole Rura Penthe subplot involving the capture of Nero is non-canonical. From the point of view of canon, it never happened, and so Nero and his crew never escaped, because they never spent any time on the prison planet in the first place.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I could be wrong, but I thought the shot of Nero during the mind meld showed him out in the open on the prison planet ( in the "yard", so to speak ) and the shot taken from the interrogation scene was used in a different part of the film, when Nero is on the Narada and about to be approached by Ayel.

There are remnants of the Klingon thread in the released film: the dialogue to the effect that the Kelvin incident took place near the edge of Klingon space, the reference to the distress call from the Klingon prison planet, assumed to be the Narada's handiwork, the aforementioned mind meld shot, and in Nero's closeup we can see that one of his ears has been damaged.

But it still could have happened. The final film does not confirm it, but also does not preclude it from having happened.

7. M'Sharak

You know, I believe you're right. I was misremembering the placements.

There's room for a certain amount of conjecture, sure, but there's just not enough material remaining from the deleted scenes to form the basis for anything more than speculation.

8. CorporalCaptain

True.

Also true.

There's nothing in the film—at least that I'm aware of—that necessitates its occurrence.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

An incomplete deleted scene (there's more in the script that was likely filmed and is probably being held onto for a special edition) that has no bearing on the finished movie anyway. Certainly not a plot device.

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the movie part of this equation has been covered by the posts above.

If the comics were to be consulted on the matter, Nero was held in prison while the Klingons had his ship in orbital quarantine trying to analyse it and unlock its technology. Which they couldn't do, since it was too advanced for them with all the Borg tech and whatnot. They couldn't get it online and when they tried to take it apart it would repair itself.
    Meanwhile, Nero builds a fearsome prison reputation, makes about 60 escape attempts and tries through the years to calculate when Spock's wormhole would open.
    At some point the Narada goes online by itself and starts firing of Rura Penthe. Nero takes advantage of that and escapes to the ship which is now out of his control and goes to warp on its own to go find V'Ger.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

http://www.startrekcomics.info/idwnero.html

"From Star Trek writer/producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman and the creative team behind the prequel comic 'Star Trek: Countdown' (Writers: Mike Johnson, Tim Jones, Artist: David Messina) comes an all-new story set within the events of the film! Not an adaptation, this exclusive story follows the villainous Nero as he seeks to destroy the Federation. An essential chapter in the rebirth of 'Star Trek'!"

12. CorporalCaptain

So what's your point?

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Several, I guess. I thought people might appreciate a link that gave all the synopses and credits to the "Nero" issues, and the wording of the promo text.

And that Orci & Kurtzman themselves suggested the (non canonical) plot, so it's a little more than general fan "speculation". It's creator speculation.

Sorry to darken your day.

14. CorporalCaptain

Oh, I wouldn't say you darkened my day at all. I just didn't feel like solving a riddle.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My apologies, I gave the writers too much credit then. An incomplete plot device regarding a capture in a prison makes more sense than Nero just.... staring at the walls for 20 years as the movie presents.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's a patient man.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Since the film doesn't mention imprisonment, it's NOT CANON! :lol:

18. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Which then brings up the question of what the hell were they doing for 25 years if they weren't in a Klingon prison?

:klingon:

19. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Didn't Orci and Kurtzman say that the comic is non canon to the movie because of the differences between the two and what was present inn Countdown and Nero really doesn't fit in with the final product of the movie?
    I could found the article but I'm certain they've already denounced those comics and the follow up comics that follow the rebbot Enterprise and crew. Makes sense if you think about it. Countdown reads more like elaborate fanfiction by the writers. The writers were given a draft script of the movie and then shutout of all the goings on with the actual development of the film.

The origin of the jellyfish, timeline of events for Spock traveling to Romulus, the Narada being a "simple mining vessel" or is it a warship with state of the art Romulan and reverse engineered Borg tech, Nero's origin and what he did for 25 years after destroying the Kelvin. All these things are presented differently in the movie than they are in the comic.

Hang the comics. They make no sense. If JJ wanted to make cohesive story with these elements he would have but he didn't. What makes it to screen is canon. JJ's only priority was providing the public with Mission Impossible in Space, which he titled Star Trek.

I challenge anyone to prove Countdown and Nero aren't fanwank by the writers. In the Nero comic for insistence Nero connects with his "vulcan side" so he can learn mind melds and connect with V'ger and calculate Spock's arrival. Funny thing in the movie when Nero is torturing Pike, Nero opts out of using his "Vulcan Mind Meld Powers" and instead opts to go Khan on Pike and shove a worm down his throat that will force him to answer.

20. M'Sharak

While I'm aware of where the comics go with it, my comments were intended to speak only to the movie's content as a basis for fan speculation, nothing more.

Playing pinochle, most likely. :p