Did Abrams really save the franchise?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Warped9, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

From another part of the Trek BBS

Morgan Gendel: Right. What they do on Star Trek that they don't do on any other show is they give you a bible yay-thick, with all the stuff about the series

Research is key!

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's part of the job, yep.

And, honestly, you can bring yourself up to speed on almost any series in a couple of weeks.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Everybody does research everyday. Does it help? Yes. It's not, however, what makes them good writers "worth their salt" nor is it a requisite for writing a good story.

There have been countless stories written were the entire contents came strait from the creators' brains.

In other words, your sweeping generalization was total bologna.

If portraying Spock as a gluttonous sloth works for the betterment of the story you're trying to write, portray him as a gluttonous sloth.

First of all, all TV shows have bibles. Secondly, all TV shows contradict their bibles all the time.

Research is optional but ultimately immaterial.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Abrams did not save the franchise.

He created a new franchise, which is good for different reasons.

5. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Wow - could not disagree more with your assessment of why a creative person creates. From my experience (married to an artist, not a writer), a creative person creates because they have something inside them that needs expression. Maybe it's different for a creative person who is a writer, than for a creative person who is an artist.
    This thread is moving pretty quickly so this might have already been adressed, but I'll bet most (all?) of the professional writers on this site would disagree too. Of course it's great to earn a living, but is that the initial concern? Is that what first motivates a creative person to create? I'm thinking . . . NO!

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    :p

I know. I meant, the basic stuff. Important events in the timeline, what's physically or technologically forbidden on the show, that kind of stuff.

Of course, if it were me, that would all be done before the first pilot were produced, but that's me and my insane obsession with detail and structure.

That said, a reasonable amount of faithfulness simply helps suspension of disbelief and appreciation for a work of higher quality. But I can live without it. :)

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm inclined to agree. Financial gain is often not the prime motivation for creative endeavour. Surely it could be a factor, but often not a prime one.

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Abrams should not have to adhere strictly to Star Trek canon just like Christopher Nolan should not have to adhere strictly to Burton-Batman canon.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In principle I agree. My issue with Abrams' approach (and not really the subject of this thread) isn't that the franchise was rebooted but with the direction taken and the overall execution.

Now back to the subject at hand...

10. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I tend to agree but then again I also think that motivations are overrated. Sometimes people can create something sublime while having the lowest motivations.
    One of my favourite writers became famous when he was nearly broke and wrote a novel which was printed in a newspaper. I prefer his late work, written when he was long out of dire financial straits, but this early novel has always been his most popular one.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You goofed on the QUOTE. I didn't say this. CaptPapa did. I just agreed with him.

12. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Sorry Warped9, I corrected it.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No probs.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I lean slightly towards no, that isn't to say he didn't have an impact on it.

But it was the fanbase in part that saved the franchise. Remember during the 70's it was the fans who kept the show alive and proved to the studio there was a demand for new trek. So an animated show was made, then plans for a new live action show which turned into a movie and so on.

Something similar happend with DW in the UK, the fans kept it alive and eventually it was regenerated by the BBC.

So perhaps JJ's biggest impact was to make true cool again.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    How so ?

16. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I would say he kept it in the mainstream. If Nu Trek wasn't a success, it would have been strike 3, and the studios might have given up on the franchise.

Abrams is on the record as saying he was never a fan of Trek. That would be all the more reason to study a bible, if just to avoid some crazy changes to a character.

Nu Trek is obviously a blockbuster movie--big explosions, nonstop actions etc. the somewhat silly gimmicks like the Spock and Uhura relationship, (my opinion) but it works--it's making money.

I still have a hard time with the Kirk going from cadet to captain in a few short minutes, and the Spok/Uhura thing, but the movie did put Trek back in the spotlight.

The thing is, if it keeps following the blockbuster formula, then the danger is that withing a few years there will be a reboot yet again--like Spiderman, Superman, Batman, ect.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Self expression isn't entertaining?

:confused:

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Love or hate the Abrams films, I definitely recommend the special features disc that came with the Blu-ray release of the first film.

Great stuff. :techman:

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't aware the franchise needed "saving" so to say. This is just the latest incarnation. I suspect after JJ's gone, there will be something else. Just the way it works.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Movie goers and "Star Trek fans" are overlapping sets but far from congruent. "The fans" haven't made the Abrams movies the successes that they are, and to some extent have impeded success. They sure as hell didn't "save the franchise" after TV Trek imploded, sorry.

Apparently some obscure meaning of the word "danger" that I was previously unfamiliar with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.