Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

In a confirmation of what we already know, Marvel officially announced Drew Goddard as Daredevil show-runner today.

There is a little new info, as they reveal that Goddard will write and direct the pilot.

2. Turtletrekker

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I can't tell if Marvel has a genius plan, they're blinded by ambition, or their goal is to just spam movies and TV shows until the bubble bursts. Either way, it'll be fun to watch and an interesting experiment in crossing between TV and movies (I remember the plan for Dark Tower that fell through that would have tried the same thing).

I couldn't find anything about a network, though. Is this cable, regular television, Netflix? My guess is anything's possible at this point.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That was a weird statement in the article that this was the first US starring role for a British actor since Michelle Ryan's Bionic Woman. There have been plenty of British actors on US TV since then, notably Jonny Lee Miller in Elementary and Tom Mison in Sleepy Hollow. Not to mention Hugh Laurie in House, Lena Headey in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Anna Friel in Pushing Daisies, Parminder Nagra in Alcatraz, Marsha Thomason on White Collar, etc. 2009's FlashForward had three UK actors -- Joseph Fiennes, Sonya Walger, and Jack Davenport -- as well as Irish actor Brían F. O'Byrne.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And there's also Once Upon A Time in Wonderland where 4 of 6 lead actors are English.
    There are a ton of English actors on US TV series right now, not to mention all of the shows that have come and gone since The Bionic Woman.

6. Turtletrekker

For the record, "would seem to be confirmed" was a deliberate choice of words on my part as I'm not 100% on the source.

But given Neal McDonough's recent statements (linked to up thread, post 220), it does seem like this is something Marvel really wants to do.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's 'The Mirror'. Just be glad they did enough research to get the day's date right and didn't try and hack your phone. ;)

8. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind this for a one off TV-movie, or maybe a 6 episode or so miniseries, but I'd hope its not another 22 episode season ongoing thing. Because if so after SHIELD, I'm sure every episode will be thrilling...

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I would be very surprised if they don't follow a premium/cable/miniseries model with the vast majority of these ventures. Anything on Network TV is unlikely to avoid the dreaded between-sweeps slumps though, unless they start doing more Fall/Spring-only series.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Cable can also mitigate risk a bit more - for example, have a shorter season that costs less money to produce. Then again, a period piece can be a bit expensive (particularly if it's a genre show) and cable not only would be likely to have less money overall (hence the shorter season) but possibly less money per episode.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does ABC own any cable channels other than ABC Family? I don't really see this as an ABC Family kind of show, they seem to go mostly for teen dramas.

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

So, given the news about the Star Wars comics it would seem that this could be more of Disney's push than Marvel comics.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Disney owns a lot of stuff.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

A&E cable might be the outlet for an Agent Carter series.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would definitely be a better fit than ABC Family, or the Disney channels.

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Well, it doesn't *have* to be on a Disney-owned chanel anyway, does it? It's not like Netflix belongs to Disney...

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Not yet! :evil:

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nope. While it's preferable for a given studio's shows to air on the network with the same owner, I believe they're still required to bid for it competitively with other networks, to keep the prices down or something. So a show can theoretically end up on any network.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry guys, but I don't see Marvel Studios banking on a period series starring a woman just yet.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could. I just doubt Disney is going to want to let one of their this get away from them. I was shocked when I heard that they were actually doing Netflix shows instead of showing them on one of their Networks or Hulu or something else they owned.