The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also thought this as well...I'm not sure how much it goes against previously established facts about what happens to a person when they are bit by a zombie, but perhaps it does not come as a result of any type of 'zombie active virus' entering the bloodstream. The zombie bites a person and they are infected in the cells at the point of the bite. Similar to gangrene so if you cut it off/out before it spreads beyond a point the person is then saved.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, don't believe we've gotten a definitive answer if amputation will prevent infection in this Show, but, in most Zombie movies I've seen, amputation doesn't work.

3. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Add me to that train of thought. Once bitten, the virus would cause an infection that would kill the host.
    Also deep scratches, as in the case of Tiny. He was deeply scratched by a zombie wrist/arm bone on his back.
    With Herschel, the leg was removed, removing the infected area. Tiny didn't have that option for his back wound.

That's always bothered me about how everyone ends up with zombie gore all over them and they don't get any in their eyes, noses or mouths. Even with animals, we wear masks to prevent infection from splash back.

4. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

This. It's a shame because Shane could have been a real asset but the issues with Lori, etc drove him over the edge.

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah, that's kinda bothered me; if a bite or scratch would infect you, having that much blood and gunk splashed on you would also be an infection risk. You'd at least get some in your eyes, for sure. But I think the producers dropped that idea because the gore-spattered actors looked "more cool" for the show. ;)

6. Sindatur

Yea, they pretty much nixxed that idea, in S1 when Rick and Glen took the Zombie Guts sponge bath

7. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know he died in the comics but its a shame they killed him in this too as it would of been good to see him deal with the current affairs although he did get really irrational and annoying especially with all that Lori crap, they should of got rid of her.

8. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like Lori may have finally wised up. The question is whether it's too late.

Or maybe she's just sucking up because she doesn't have any better options.

9. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Splash really should be a problem, and in the first season they did at least try, once, to avoid getting gunk in their eyes. Unfortunately, a major unspoken Hollywood rule precludes main cast actors from covering their hair unless it's a character thing.

Anyone remember the first seasons of Stargate SG-1, Flashpoint, etc.? They all had helmets as part of their kit. Then, they started consistently walked into firefights and other dangerous situations without them... Why? To make sure their hair still showed.

Mark

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I also love how everyone on these "end of the world" shows still manage to have perfectly nice, white teeth. At least the cast of Walking Dead aren't as perfectly clean & pretty as on some shows, like Revolution.

11. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it has only been a year...tooth brushes and tooth paste is probably not in short supply just yet.

12. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Revolution they apparently have bath houses and other relatively civil ways of keeping clean, even on the road. Hot water may be more of a luxury, but it's available.

I burst out laughing this week when Maggie was trying to tell her dad it was okay to move on, while flashing some insanely clean and white teeth. Pretty distracting.

Mark

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to confess I FF'ed through the scenes with Maggie and her sister, immediately followed by Maggie and Hershel. To me thats the sort of thing that made season 2 such a drag at times. Yes we know, they're sad. Theres no need to have one tearful, heartfelt scene followed immediately by a second one with another character. It gets tiresome and wears the vewer out.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about people being to clean on Revolution. I don't understand why everybody always expects people in post apocalyptic to suddenly be dirty all the time. I don't see why people in a world like Revolution's would suddenly not care about being clean. Now, in something like The Walking Dead, where they are almost constantly on the run for their lives I can see it a little more.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

No, really, it's relevant. "Dad, it's okay to let go. I'm not a kid anymore. I can take care of myself. You taught me that. How to be responsible. How to stand up for myself. How to floss after every meal. See? See?"

You know, with all this talk about zombies being immune to decomposition and toxic to germs: seems like zombie ichor would make really effective toothpaste.

Just make sure you rinse REALLY well afterward.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This is what makes the show worth watching for me. It's the zombies themselves that get tiresome quickly, like in the season premiere.

17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

AMC must be pleased as shit with this. They now command ad rates only second to Sunday Night football.

Ad Age

18. Sindatur

Wow, seems we'll be having Walking Dead for some time to come. And at least the first Episode, if not the second episode's ratings were without DTV

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's pretty amazing. I wonder what the appeal is to the majority of viewers-- the zombies or the quality of the writing and performances?

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the popularity may have something to do with how original the idea is for a television series. We have never really had a zombie story outside of the movies before and even most movies spend minimal time dealing with the long term effects on the survivors. It is a fascinating concept that is well executed.