Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I guess I'm back to watching again for now, since they seem to be starting an arc with this Deker guy. At least the Shinkenger stories they're adapting are starting to get interesting even if the execution remains weak. And it's weird that this villain (?) is being played by Ricardo Medina, Jr., the Wild Force Red Ranger. I mean, we've had former Ranger actors come back to do villainous voice roles before, but as of today's episode, Deker took a human form and Medina appeared on camera. I think that's a first, having a former Red Ranger (or any core Ranger) return in a different on-camera role.

One thing from Shinkenger that I'm not at all fond of is the Zord design. These are just about the clunkiest-looking Zords and Megazords I've ever seen. I wasn't fond of the Cars-inspired googly-eyed Zords of Go-onger/RPM, but these aren't any better.

Also, what's with the villains? I've just realized that 6-7 weeks in, I barely have any idea which of those monsters on the boat is the main villain. I've figured out that his name is Master Xandred and he's the red guy with batwing-like thingies sticking out of the sides of his head, but he's barely a noticeable presence in the Sanzu barge scenes because he's usually just sitting around moaning about his headaches and taking medicine. There seems to be a lot more focus on the other villains. Xandred just doesn't come across as an imposing antagonist at all. At least Rita Repulsa only got her headaches after actually doing something that was thwarted by the Rangers. This guy's a frickin' hypochondriac. (Although I gather his Shinkenger counterpart is actually guzzling saki, not medicine, so it's a tossup whether a hypochondriac is a more ineffectual villain than an alcoholic.)

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Cross-posted from two other places:
    Tzachor may be the 'managing EP' for PR now, but he's full of crap; his word alone can't erase/expunge 8 seasons' worth of material from the PRU, particularly since he wasn't around during any of those 8 seasons.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing I will say about copying Shinkenger 90% of the time. Shinkenger had a serious problem with it's main villain sitting on his butt moaning that he was stuck in the Sanzu river.

He'd drink his saki and grunt as Dayuu or Shitari introduced the monster of the day. Then he would sit down.

That's probably the only thing I wish Samurai would improve upon instead of being a slave to the footage.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait. This show is still on?

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Wrong, Disney bought PR when Time Force was in post-production and Wild Force in pre-production, Wild Force was still produced in California by MMPR Productions, but it was a Disney season. Not a single scene of Wild Force was filmed while Saban was in charge, pretty much the only thing that was done under Saban is the logo and the WF trailer at the end of Time Force.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. Samurai8472

7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Yeah, Saban kept his music library, that's why the original Wild Force theme couldn't be used, at least not without paying Saban.

8. Christopher

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

so why was there a year break between rpm and samuari ?

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Disney cancelled PR.

11. timothy

those bastards . So saban bought it back and is doing samurai . well I have missed about the first 5 episode and there nowhere to watch on line . So I will continue to watch the show and wait for a marathon sometime soon . all so looked at you tube today for samurai episode not a one but saw some of the japanese orginals samuari
    clips . looking forward to the GOLD ranger . and will we see a battleizer in this series
    or a crossover with rpm ?

also watched FOREVER RED AND FADE TO BLACK . loved those episode tomarrow I may watch mmpr green ranger series love the dinosword.

12. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

You can watch them online on the nickelodeon website.

13. timothy

they had from fish out a water to the one's from this last weekend . I still think I am missing one or two episode's . Now I miss skull and I don't like spike to much of an idot. SKULL & BULK reminded me of those two clowns that were in HIDDEN FORTRESS
    which was a great samurai movie . I do like the cast of this new group and the mentor kinda reminds me of the guy who was red ninja storm ranger .

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ Looks like they're missing the premiere.

15. Samurai8472

Disney basically threw Power Ranger's away once they got their hands on Marvel's more richer assortment of heroes.

Saban also criticized the Power Rangers most recent owner, saying Disney “did not develop the property and exploit it in the way that it deserves.”

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that's the way you fight piracy.

Anyway, another mediocre episode. Bulk and Spike are, just like in MMPR, the only reason to even watch the show. Spike is a decent replacement for Skull and I'm finding his actor growing on me despite the annoying fake voice. It was also nice to see Cole from Wild Force make a return appearance to the franchise as Dekar.

17. timothy

That was cole he's changed a lot over the last four years . and spike seems to be trying to hard to sound like skull. and what happened to him anyways last we saw him was in forever red.

18. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wild Force was 9 years ago.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He married Kimberly and they had Spike. At least, that's what I choose to believe.

20. Christopher

Wait a minute... the last time we saw Skull as a regular was only about 12 years ago. If Spike is his son, then is Samurai set in the future? If not, then Spike would've had to be born sometime during MMPR, and obviously Kim was never pregnant during that time.

Besides, there's no way any child of Kimberly Hart would be that lame.