NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

Here's the latest.

[​IMG]

Need to chamfer a few more edges; but, nearly ready to put in place.

2. havoc92

[​IMG]

Still needs work; but, here it is in place. ;)

3. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, the latest renders. Lookin much better IMHO. ;)

4. havoc92

[​IMG]

One more cause I couldn't resist..

5. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

Wow.

thats all i can think to say!

6. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Awesome! Me likey!

7. havoc92

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been working on the service corridor. Reworked the wall segments for the pressure doors and added the doors themselves.
    Energy transfer conduits are in place. Still need to run data lines and plumbing. Haven't decided on latches and release
    mechanisms on the doors as yet; but, no hurry. ;)

8. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One teeny, tiny suggestion in what's otherwise an obviously fantastic work:

The access ladder from Deck 1 to Deck 2: why not make it one of those triangular access ladders we saw in various episodes? An example that immediately comes to mind is the ladder that Scotty and his crew use to get to Engineering on the Constellationn after beaming over in "The Doomsday Machine":

[​IMG]

Again, amazing job and I'm by no means against the ladder as it stands. It just seems to me that the triangular ladder might be a neat bit of continuity.

Dakota Smith

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. havoc92

Thank you. The tripod style ladders as I understand it are mainly used when the span being crossed is multiple decks.
    IE in the dorsal section where there is a 4 or more deck run with one ladder section - tripod called for. In an emergency situation, the tripod allows one to avoid bottlenecks while offering stability and safety. The ladder I chose for the service corridor was chosen because it offers the best access for a smaller group of people in an emergency situation for either access to or from the bridge. That said, the blueprints also suggest this sort of ladder in that the space into which it goes is pretty tight and restrictive. The ceiling above the gangway access from deck 2 is angled and you are entering Deck 1 through a hole in a wall at less than half the height of the wall.. That really calls for handholds that are wall mounted and an angled access ladder - tripod simply doesn't fit the bill and would be less safe.

Good question.

10. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Are you thinking of placing access panels for the equipment to the bridge along that outer wall? While we've seen people making repairs on the inside of the bridge, this give yours the opportunity to be more descrete with repairs.

And while I like those arching I-beams along the parimeter of the bridge, they look too much like iron being red... Not that the colour means they are iron, that's just the initial feeling (ugh feelings suck) when I look at it. And therefore it looks too contemporary with our time. Meh- just a thought.

11. havoc92

I had considered making changes to the interior walls for that very purpose; but, on further consideration I decided against it. Doesn't make much sense to have pressure doors and a sealed environment for emergencies if access panels compromise the main bridge in event of a hull rupture. Pretty much decided that the service corridor is intended for access to wiring trunks, plumbing and data lines.

As to the structural.. Materials may change; but, basic design concepts tend not to over time. If you look at Motorcycles today vs 70 years ago, the frames have gone through various grades of steal to carbon fibre; but, the basic concepts remain the same. Aircraft designs went from
    wood to heavy metals, to lighter weight metals and metallic alloys to now including carbon fibre as well. So, I've used the modern steal style I-beam keeping an eye to future tech. Not everything is I-beam construction as you can see from my earlier images. That said, you might have a close look at the "under construction" trailer released for the last movie. ;)

12. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I forget... did you say you were trying to do the FJ version of the ship?

The "outer corridor" is a lot more constrictive than what you've done if you're doing the "as seen on TV" version. The rest works pretty nicely, though.

13. havoc92

Yeah, it's the FJ version with some help from original props and some other source material like McMasters bridge plans. Sticking as close to FJ as possible and filling in or correcting where necessity dictates.

14. havoc92

And here's the latest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Data and energy lines are in. Added the internal dome cieling for the bridge itself. Need to develope a central
    lighting sconce for it; but, ...

15. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

You need that big disco-ball thing that was in an animated series episode ("Practical Joker", I think?) that started shooting phaser blasts at the bridge crew when some entity took over the computer. Why you would have such a thing on a ship's bridge is beyond my ability to comprehend, but it was there! :)

17. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There are a few projects which come come along every few years which can completely blow a mans mind. Sojourners nude photoshoot in the oval office back in the early nineties was one, this is almost on par. Very nicely done.

18. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Sorry, what was that last part?

19. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Beyond the Farthest Star", actually, the episode that debuted the series (at least on the east coast). The hardware should have served as an intruder defense system, stunning (or in a worst case scenario, killing) any unauthorized person entering the bridge. Imagine how many threats could have been averted? (Of course, a "properly working" device like that would eliminate a lot of plot potential.) But as we saw, the turret was hacked, resulting in Kirk himself getting phasered in the back (in Alan Dean Foster's novelization, the injuries suffered were 2nd dgree burns, and 3rd egree burns upon his palms when the entity reaimed the device to superheat the console, hoping the burns would have forced Kirk to release the controls.) I suspect Kirk instructed enginnering to tear that #$%^ thing outa' the ceiling afterwards. :eek:

Sincerely,

Bill

20. 137th Gebirg

AH! Thank you for the clarification - I stand happily corrected. Reminds me of the bit where, following the asteroid-in-the-wormhole incident in TMP, Kirk ordered that the photon torpedoes be bypassed so that they not shut down during a M/AM imbalance. Was that in the TMP novelization or did it come later in another novel? Can't remember...

Anyways, yes, the intruder defense disco-ball. :) I think it would make a nice addition to the bridge ceiling - certainly better than the that red siren-light thingy on the Excelsior bridge ceiling in TUC. :techman: