Have those who disliked the Abramsprise finally accepted design?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Chrisisall, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you had followed the discussion which had turned to talking about the merits of disagreements, then you would see this to be a false statement.

Right, which about 99% of the time I don't do. Again, follow along with the discussion please.

Prove it wrong then. It's a cliche only cemented by quite a few of the detractors themselves, unfortunately.

Please pay closer attention to my post. I said at least a couple of times in my post, "I mean this against no one here personally."

Right. You seem to have taken my post as though I have was speaking to you directly. I wasn't. You didn't even cross my mind.

Right, which if you notice I didn't specifically ask you in my post now did I?

Never said it did.

No. But it gives you a reason why it may happen.

2. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

in the right context anything can be funny, for instance:

i cant help BUT laugh at the aliens scene now, it immediately brings to mind the comedic iterations brought forth in Spaceballs, or the ragtime singining toon in Family Guy, etc.

3. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's see:

4. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think most of the people laughing in "Generations" were laughing at jokes about why you should never let Troi near your car keys...

I've never seen anyone laugh... humorously... from the scene in Alien. That was a remarkably effective moment of horror. Some people have, perhaps, "laughed nervously?" But that sequence was so utterly effective (in large part because the actors on-set that day, with the exception of John Hurt, had no idea what was about to happen... their expressions and reactions were REAL) that I can't even imagine... much less have I ever seen or heard... anyone laughing at that scene.

And if someone who'd never seen it before and had no idea what was coming DID laugh... I'd want to make sure that I'd never be caught in a dark alley with that person. That sounds, not like an "idiot" but rather like a psychopath. I can imagine, for instance, that guy up in Cleveland who was arrested recently, who had the dismembered bodies of over a dozen victims inside his home, as being one who might "laugh" at that sequence.

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the sake of Clarity, I think it may be wise to offer some of my opinions on certain aspects of the film that did NOT quite work for me.

Engineering:
    I don't have the complete aversion many have to the way Engineering was depicted in the movie, but there were some shots where it saw clearly a location, to the point that it took me out of the movie once I noticed.

The example that comes to mind of this is during the shots where Kirk and Scotty were leaping and running through Engineering after Scotty's trip through the pipes, and "Cupcake" arrests Kirk. In the background, one cal make out the concrete/stone wall, and the truck bay door on the side of the building.

Shots earlier in the movie, when we first see Engineering with the primary-color lighting (very TOS) actually worked better for me.

Whereas it was fun, seeing Scotty travelling through the pipes with "Inert Reactant" (water) and heading for the Turbine really was not necessary.

I could simply cut that sequence out, and have Scotty on the Bridge dry later.

Vulcan:

In Spock's mind-meld, Spock can see Vulcan being destroyed from the surfact of Delta Vega.

In reality, for this to happen, he would have had to be looking through a telescope, or transmitted telemetry on a viewscreen beamed down by Nero, since Delta Vega was not a Moon, but another planet in the Vulcan system, and Vulcan would not have been there.

It would fit Canon for Delta Vega to be a moon if we assume it was simply destroyed after 2258 in the Prime timeline, possibly breaking up due to some seizmic issues.

The other out I see for the writers, or future writers, would be to assume that the mind meld was impressionistic, and conveyed Spock's feelings more than the actual visuals of the event during the mind meld.

Delta Vega name:
    Very minor to me, but we've seen Delta Vega before (TOS: Where No Man Has Gone Before). Logically, this means there are two planets named Delta Vega; One in the Vulcan star system, and the other located near the Great Barrier with a Lithium Cracking Station, and a good site for a Jame R. Kirk Headstone :)

But really, these are my only real issues.

I am not blind Cary, but we do see things differently with this movie.

6. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I never liked the new ship and I still don't.

I love the movie though. I never liked the Enterprise-E either. It's really not a big deal to me if I don't like the spaceship which is onscreen perhaps 1% of the total runtime of the movie.

7. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

As far as it comes to anyone here, though, it really is.

Actually since you're the one saying that there are people like that here, it should be a snap to find a quote somewhere in this forum. I doubt it would be anything recent, though.

It may not have been specifically directed at me, but I've seen a lot of this attitude directed at anyone who has said they don't like this movie, pretty much regardless of their reason for saying so. Even in my short time here, I've seen some of it directed at myself.

Not really. If I saw someone actually doing those things I'd be just as critical of them as I am of this attitude directed at critics of the movie.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Time out. There's way too much talking about other posters going on, and not enough about the topic.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Again, Cary succeeds in making a thread all about him. From his very first post:
    And the third post:
    Fourth post:
    All practically begging for the things you say will happen -- pleading for someone to attack you, so you can be proven right.

And while accusing others of setting up straw men, you set up a few yourself:
    This is just a slap:
    Then, finally. Finally, someone gives you what you've been seeking, but you actually fielded it pretty well:
    Well, up to the last part, anyway.

But now come the jabs at another's intelligence and reading comprehension -- those old standbys that mark someone on the trawl:
    Oh, and sticky pants-legs, too -- mustn't forget those.

Accusations of fascism and "you're trying to defeat me" -- good, good.

Insults and "defeating Cary" again. Yep, it's all about you, now. You're almost there.

And a couple of parting insults aimed at someone's supposed datelessness and choice of viewing material, just to put the icing on it.

Now, this is not to imply that there was no misbehavior on the part of other participants in the thread. Clearly, there was, but I think very little on anyone's part approached the level of demanding action, so I'm going to leave it right there. However, as I pointed out, from your very first post in the thread, you were courting that misbehavior, and courted it almost continuously throughout the thread until your last. Congratulations! You've worked very hard to win the thread, and I hereby award you the blue ribbon.

This thread hasn't really been about the topic for several pages, at this point, so it will remain closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.