"Sir, D'Amato" ???

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I must have seen "That which survives 20 times, but last night I heard something bizarre I never noticed before.......

In the teaser, as Kirk & Sulu enter the transporter room, Kirk says a line to D'Amato as walks in and then ends his sentence, "......, Sir D'Amato."

WTF? What do you suppose the line was supposed to be?

In the spanish language track the line ends with, "....senor D'Amato."
    I suppose they tried to make sense of the line by translating the eqivilant of "mister D'amato" but, clearly he didn't say that in the english version.

The french track has no translation for the word beofre D'Amato.

Anybody have a copy of the script?

At any rate give it a listen and take your guess what Shatner's line was supposed to be or perhaps the 23rd century knig of Italy had knighted D'Amato!

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

3. Grant

Yeah except that's not what he says on the Blu-ray---neither the 7.1 or the original audio---he clearly says "sir"

I listened to it thru center channel speaker and the left and right speaker with the original sound---he does not say mister.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In Spanish, Senor can mean "sir," but it can also mean mister, depending on how it's being used.

An interesting possibility. Kirk does refer to ambassadors by their job position, to McCoy by his occupation. In the future miss and mrs. have returned to common use, and Kirk uses them both.

If D'Amato were to have been knighted at some point in his past, would Kirk on occasion use that title in referring to D'Amato?

As opposed to employing "Mister?"

:)

5. Grant

After listening to it many times i find that it was a mixing error most likely. Shatner said mister but they snipped the audio track and it came out sounding exactly like 'sir'

Only question i now have is the error on the Blu-ray only or did the DVDs (and previous formats) have the same mistake.

I am going to grab a copy of the episode on DVD from my public library and listen and see. Perhaps it goes all the way back to 1968 and it was always a glitch.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Except that the honorific "Sir" (or "Dame") precedes the given name, not the surname.

7. Grant

Jeepers i make a weak joke about D'Amato actually being a knight and we are now debating it? LOL.

First of all D'Amato speaks English with a american accent--so i guess at some point in the future we become a kingdom again!

Whoa the british reconquer america.

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the 1970s I used to sit at the TV with a microphone and try to capture the episodes on audio cassette, and I played the tapes a lot.

Due to the beat-up condition of the 16mm syndy print of "Requiem for Methuselah," I spent years hearing Kirk say "You'd wipe out four lives?" -- knowing that he really said four hundred.

9. Grant

And..................?

But I'm listening to supposedly pristine cleaned up audio. So I want to know if it was always a glitch that we were alwayus stuck with or if it's a glitch on the Blu-ray only.

10. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The highest ranking honour in Italy is "Cavaliere di Gran Croce Decorato di Gran Cordone Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana" (Knight Grand Cross with Collar). Usually you use the form "Cavalier Rossi" ("Knight Rossi").

There is no title in Italy that you can translate with "Sir". We are a Republic after all :lol:

Probably in the 23rd century the House of Savoy had reclamed its rightful throne! :lol:

11. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Either that, or they simply decided that to say his title correctly would need a two-parter! ;)

I love the Italian language, can't speak it for crap, but it's one of those that seems to "flow".

12. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Reminds me of the episode This Side of Paradise where McKoy says something to the effect that he would have to take down his shingle.
    Kirk replies with a line clarifying this line by basically repeating it and emphasizing the word shingle. The first few times I heard this line I thought that McKoy had said sh_t instead of shingle and that Shatner ad libed his line to smooth over the mistake.
    Anyway...that's what it sounded like on TV back then......before the days of cable and flat screen Hi Def.

13. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always remember Arthur Batanides as Mr Kirkland from Police Academy.

:lol:

14. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have always heard "Sir" on the audio as long as I have watch Trek (40+ years).

15. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There were other snipped-audio moments, like the one in The Savage Curtain where Lincoln said "--ee gentlemen, if those are weapons, please lower them." No idea what the "--ee" was part of. They removed it for the DVD.

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The series was full of audio errors and clipped dialog. It often happened when looped dialog wasn't timed right, it gets cut off. They clipped the "Mis- from Mister most likely so Kirk's dialog didn't step on D'Amato's. The Doomsday Machine has some also, when Kirk is telling Uhura to have McCoy, Scotty, and a damage control party meet in the transporter room. "Mr. Scott" is cut off very quickly. Kras in Friday's Child has some bad ADR: "You and your primitive knives and weapons" always sounded like it was mashed up. The DVD/BR audio track "fixes" it, adding a "your" before "weapons." Which sounds just as awful and is now incorrectly on the "original broadcast mono track."

So, no, it was never meant to call him "Sir." It was an audio glitch from day one and has been like this since the original night of broadcast.

17. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why assume D'Amato is from Italy? It's the 23rd Century. I know plenty of native born US citizens that have thick accents. Perhaps Sir D'Amato is from a country (or colony planet) that has a Monarchy that uses the honorific Sir and his parents spoke American English.

Or perhaps there was some inside joke among the crew that Kirk was aware of but we aren't.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Please"?

19. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

It's on the old DVD box set as well. I wouldn't say it's "Sir" but there is definitely something there ... sounds more like "so" to my ears, not that "so" would make any more sense than "Sir".

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner said the line in question as the transporter room doors were closing. IIRC the doors made a loud noise which had to be edited out of the soundtrack, so any dialog spoken would also be lost, necessitating a loop (which was edited badly in the rerecording). This was probably why for the vast majority of dialog, the cast avoided speaking when doors were opening or closing.