Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lonemagpie, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

That's a very good point and it does support the idea that the character isn't Mitchell. Plus, as you pointed out in your previous post, they already re-did WNMHGB in comic form, so would they really use the Mitchell character in the movie?

I realize I'm going out on a limb here a bit with this theory, but what if the events of the comic are the backstory to the new movie, in much the same way that 'Countdown' supplied off-screen material for Trek '09? Suppose Mitchell really didn't die, but his mutation not only kept him alive, but he continued to change? What if Section 31 decided to get investigate further and found that Mitchell was in fact alive and recruited him? I realize this is slightly far-fetched, but it's remotely possible. I mean, is it really any more way-out than Spock and Nero coming back in time, thus creating a new reality?

I have not had the chance to read the IDW version of WNMHGB, so I don't know how they treated the Kirk/Mitchell relationship. Can anyone who has read it tell me if they still met at the Academy and became friends there? Certainly, some of their history would be different; probably no Dimorus, but other things, such as the incident with the little blond lab technician, could have still happened.

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the ideas you guys are throwing out but I don't see Section 31 popping up in this nor Gary Seven as they probably want to avoid time travel and references to other series.

For those who read the Mitchell IDW comic is it done in a way where back story wouldn't necessarily need to be explained in the movie?

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Regardless of who it is, they're going to have to fill in the details of the backstory. Maybe 10,000 people read the comic every month and you have millions of people buying tickets.

Plus, I simply don't like the idea of them doing a sequel to a comic that was pretty shitty to begin with.

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

5. BillJ

No Dehner, Spock probes Mitchell's mind, Spock nerve pinches him, Kirk shoots Mitchell in the chest, Kelso still gets it...

6. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Thanks for that.

Is Mitchell taken to Delta-Vega and if so, is it the original D-V or the one from the movie?

7. BillJ

Unless Vulcan is near the edge of the Milky Way, it would have to be a different Delta Vega. But no mention is made that it is different than the one in the movie.

Yes, Mitchell still dies on Delta Vega. Missed the first part of your post entirely. :lol:

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Thanks, man. I may still have to check this out at some point, since Where No Man remains one of my favorite TOS eps. Even if it really has nothing at all to do with the new film, it would be an interesting read.

9. BillJ

Where No Man... ranks near the top of all of Trek for me, so maybe I'm overly critical.

It might not have been as bad if they had fleshed it out over three or four issues. So much of the nuance of the episode is missing and Dehner's absence is a huge hole.

Artwork is pretty though. :techman:

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, there is a mention in the comic that Kirk was once marooned by Spock on another world called Delta Vega. So, they can't be the same.

11. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

Well, being a bit of a cheap-ass here, I just ordered the Volume I paperback of 'Ongoing' through the Euclid Public Library, so I should be able to read the first four issues for free. No one else is in line for it, so I should have it in about a week. I'll be curious to see if I can spot any of the 'Easter-eggs' Orci mentioned several months back.

:techman:

12. BillJ

It's been ten months since I read it. It sucks getting old.

13. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Hey, that's exactly the kind of subtly nuanced story I'm looking for ... ;)

14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Ain't that always the way? :(

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Put simply, no. If IDW were to do a specific prequel for Trek XII like Countdown was for Trek XI, it would make the most marketing sense to release such a comic within six months of XII's release, just like Countdown was in fact within five months of XI's release. That way there it is a clear tie-in product with the movie.

While the ongoing has supposed hints about XII, it is not going to provide backstory for the movie. That is simply impractical and a bad marketing move.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Bob Orci said that both Alice Eve and Cumberbatch are playing Canon characters. Has that been talked about here yet?

I'm thinking Eve as Carol Marcus. I'm leaving the Cumberbatch thing alone. No use driving myself even further up the wall.

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I'm still thinking Section 31 is in here SOMEWHERE. The organization itself reeks of plot and cinema deliciousness.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, Alice Eve is playing a "new to canon" character, whatever the hell that means. Presumably, it's just his maddeningly cryptic way of saying new character.

19. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

*buzzer*

[LEFT]TrekMovie.com: OK, I want to try and get something out of you that is actually new about the movie. Kind of like you did on the radio show but I will name a guest actor in the sequel and you will say if they are playing a new character you created or one from the original Star Trek canon. [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Roberto Orci: OK, I’ll play. [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]TrekMovie.com: OK let’s start with Alice Eve. Canon or new?[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]Roberto Orci: Canon[/LEFT]

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Eve and Cumberbatch are playing canon characters. So someone we have seen before. Marcus and Khan?