7X04 The Power Of Three (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 22, 2012.

?

Grade "The Power Of Three"

Poll closed Oct 24, 2012.
  1. Geronimo!

32 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Good

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. The little boxes will make you angry

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was a nice breather episode where the Doctor wouldn't have to make yet another moral choice on whether or not it's okay to kill the big bad of the week.

That said, Matt Smith is really beginning to annoy the heck out of me. Not even Tennant or Eccleston displayed a complete inability to sit still for an hour. They (like all the doctors before them) were actually able to sit down and shut up for a while.

Is it too much to ask for a thoughtful introspective Doctor who knows how to conduct himself in social situations? Even Tennant, for all his wangsting, was still able to relax. Why can't they let Matt Smith relax? We don't need an ADHDoctor to keep the show fun and interesting.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

No, that's precisely Amy's point. It's not 2020, and their friends are noticing them aging faster. Have an Anniversary Party, travel 6 months during it, Run off for an adventure and travel 9 months... I think at the very most, we count Amy's 10 years from when she and the Doctor actually started traveling together full time due to her crack in time. Seems like she ages 3 years a year, looked at on average (Though, maybe all but the first two years have been this season alone?)

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yes I also brought that up too

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=7000108&postcount=26

4. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm reminded of a great Cracked article about time travel, and the reasons why it would suck. The first they give is this exact issue with Amy aging 10 years. I don't know if linking other websites is against the rules so I'll quote:

[LEFT]
    [LEFT]
    [/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It is a nice graphic analogy. Reminds me of Joanna Lumley in Curse Of Fatal Death, "Oh look, it has three settings!"

6. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it. Really liked seeing the Ponds normal life as well.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I gave it a "Good." I liked the idea of the little cubes everywhere, and really liked the look at their normal lives, with Brian included.

8. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I think this may be one of my favorite DW episodes of all time! The pacing was great, the jokes were funny and all the character beats were absolutely lovely. It was awesome to see a plot examine The Doctor's real effect on the Ponds and how much they mean to each other. A+

9. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The chronology of the series is a bit murky. I think they've botched it a few times, but ultimately The Doctor has known Amy since she was about 7 years old, and she appears to be in her mid-to-late-twenties. It wouldn't be far off base to say 10+ years but is likely more.

I'll try to do a full accounting of the time that has passed since The Eleventh Hour once the angels episode has aired.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I’ve never watched Being Human so my appreciation of Whithouse as a writer is based solely on his Who episodes, which, on the whole, have been very good/Excellent (School Reunion, The God Complex) good (Vampires of Venice) and average (A Town called Mercy)…actually I didn’t realise he wrote a Torchwood s1 episode, and not a great one (titillation aside).

Chibnall obviously bears a lot of responsibility for the crime that is Torchwood series 1, and a fair few of his episodes were shite (Though in fairness I’ve only ever seen them once) in particular Cyberwoman…that said I actually liked Countyricide (or at least admired it for being a little different) and the s2 episode with the people lost in the rift was really moving, a highpoint of the series pre-Children of Earth. Plus S1 of torchwood was patently not worked on enough/needed polish. Obviously he wrote a couple of episodes of Life on Mars, and as far as I recall they were good. His Who output has been variable. 42 was dull, as was the Siluruian 2 parter, but I’ve liked both his episodes this year. I’ve never seen Law and Order London or Camelot.

If it was a toss-up I’m really not sure. I think Chibnall obviously has more experience production wise, but I have a sneaking suspicion Whithouse has more vision, which I think the showrunner needs. Whatever you think of Moffat and/or RTD, they had a clear idea what their version of the show should look/feel like. Chibnall I have a feeling would be a very workmanlike show runner (and I have nothing to base that on aside from the episodes I seen them both right).

Of course it could be someone else entirely. Could be Gatiss for all we know or could be a complete outsider (which may/may not be a good thing) and I guess whoever it is, if they surround themselves with good people it might not actually matter that much.

Hell for all we know the BBC might decide to rest the show for a while after Moffat!

But he was attached to her before he even know who she was. I think the other thing to remember about Amy is that he first met her when she was a child, that’s (as far as we know) a bit of a first, and is probably a better explanation for why he’s so fond of her.

And of course Rose may/may not be the first person the ninth Doctor met. We don’t know.

I’d accept Americans not knowing this, but anyone in the UK, Ireland and maybe a few other places who claim never to have heard this song are patently alien infiltrators and should be arrested immediately…

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From reading The Writer's Tale, I suspect that had RTD known Catherine would be willing to return in the future her fate would've been different - that it was a way to explain why she wasn't returning in future return-of-all-the-Companion episodes, rather than breaking his toys on the way out.

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know what I'd really love them to do next year. A "missing episode" from Series 4 as part of the Anniversary celebrations. Tennant and Tate love working together and the US Office will be done shooting (for ever) next March or April.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If true that seems both short-sighted and somewhat misguided (rigid adherence to logic seems not to be a top priority in Who). Even so, a noble(ahem) sacrifice would've been more worthy of the character progression and growth than to have all her fabulous experience stripped.

14. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved this ep, loved the Doctors conversation with Brian and Brian's question about all his companions. Cant wait for next week.

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I loved this episode! BTW, was this the first mention of "Artron" energy in nuWho? I like it if it was, find it interesting UNIT can scan for it though. I don't think people watching nuWho who haven't seen the classic series will know how important this energy is to the TARDIS.

This was a nice episode, I didn't mind the "quick fix" to the problem by waving his magic wand this time because the episode wasn't really about that, it was about the interaction of Rory and Amy with the Doctor and them deciding which life they want to live, with the Doctor or their real life. Them realizing they are getting older and aging faster than everyone around them in their "real life" is what is bothering them.

I find it fascinating that this aspect of companions traveling with the Doctor is being explored in nuWho, it was never talked about or discussed in the classic Doctor Who, but it is a big issue that surrounds the companions of The Doctor. I'm glad to see it explored.

I'm also glad to see that it is recognized that a lot of time can pass with the companions and the Doctor outside of their real life. I.e. the weeks that Amy and Rory were gone with the Doctor during that party at their house. In the span of a few minutes they lived several weeks, it's fascinating to explore that aspect. THIS is what the episode was about. It wasn't really about the invasion at all, that was secondary to the whole thing.

16. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

No, because she ages while with the Doctor, and it's been shown they can be 'away from Earth' for months at a time. So she's aging during all that time. The Doctor though always brings her back to the same time period she left from, but now she is aged older. Therefore, she can be 31, but yet in 2012 or 2013 or whatever, because she was dropped off only minutes after her leaving ;)

I think that is the big issue with her and Rory, the fact that they keep aging while away, then they come back, and they are older, but their friends aren't.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well okay, but the year is likely 2016 by now. After all, S6 was set in 2011. The Ponds' cameo in the Christmas special was "two years later" making it 2013. There was no indication when Asylum of the Daleks place, though logic suggest it has to be sometime within 2014. Since Pond Life part 5 is in August, Asylum could be as well, or perhaps September since that's the month when it aired. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is ten months after Asylum, making it June or July 2015. Since The Power of Three goes from July of one year to July of the next, we can assume it's July 2015 to July 2016. So, Amy is 31 four years before she should be.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Finally got to sit and watch the entire episode (3rd attempt, and said to hell with the phone ringing and the door being on)

Is it wrong, that the first thought that occurred to me when Kate she said was Science running UNIT, that it could've been Liz Shaw? I really liked the Brig's daughter, and thought that was a great addition to the Episode.

Very well put Brent, it definitely is a NuWho thing the Doctor gives much thought to not wanting to lose Companions, or it mattering to the Companions when they part (Sarah Jane and Jo Grant-Jones didn't get to voice their disappointment with being completely dumped for so many years until NuWho and SJA) and it's definitely good for Drama and closure.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a bit inaccurate to say Jo was "dumped" since she chose to stop travelling with the Doctor. I think her main issue was that the Doctor never checked in on her in all the years since.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ten years seems like a really long time to be travelling.