Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Did they get the chest insignia right? Complete with department colors for the various departments in the circle?

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes but apparently only for men. And the wrist insignia are TOS style. The epaulets seem to be working ok. Still a few bugs but they look cool.

3. MedicalHologram

MedicalHologram Cadet Newbie

Oh good, people play STO here!!

PM me if you ever want assistance: I have a VA Science and a VA Engineer, and a Klingon who should be max level in the next few days.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that the fleet thread is usually for this but since it looks like its dead for right now, could someone please send me a fleet invite to Tylor@Hartzilla2007?

5. Commodore_Rook

I can't access startrekonline.com at work here, so this is my next best thing!!! Let talk it up guys!!! lol What are the latest things added? I know we just got the TMP uniforms to buy in the C-store (which is rediculas in itself when your ships stores/replicators shold be able to make ANY costume/uniform you can imagine for FREE!) I do love the game and can't wait to play it proper when I get home in early Feb!!! (stuck over here in Iraq with crappy internet connection makes playing almost impossible)

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there new weekly missions planned for January?

7. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Yes.

8. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

Oh good. Those have been awesome (well, except for that one bug in Cold Case).

9. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One thing what bugs me is, that the ship interiors are so massive. For example, the bridges... Galaxy class bridge is as big as my house, almost. Jesus, why they are so big? D:

10. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has a lot to do with the engine beneath the surface of the game.

Most of their games are based on the same engine and instead of modifying the engine to work with smaller and more realistic interiors (like a first-person shooter) they simply gave the levels bigger interiors.
    Officially the interiors are that way so several interactive characters can walk freely without bumping each other or be hindered by furniture. And considering the "artificial intelligence" of STO's non-player characters doesn't really deserve that name it's probably for the better.

11. syberghost

First person shooter interiors only work if you're in first person perspective. Third person perspective can really only be done two satisfactory ways; large interiors, or "invisible walls" logic, and the latter requires a lot of interaction with the server (which is fine for a PC game, but not for an MMO) and screws up PvP.

Every MMO does it; you just notice it more in games that take place mostly indoors.

12. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not always true.
    Some engines like Unreal Engine 3 (used in Unreal Tournament 3 and a ton of other games) are actually good enough that the virtual camera can easily switch from first-person to third-person without causing problems for the player.
    In some cases it's even welcome to switch between them, since both perspectives offer different advantages to the player.

13. syberghost

Games that use that engine that way mostly have maps with HUGE interiors, and only rarely a room that's small. When you're trying to tell your Science boff to target a guy in the back of the group you're facing, do you want the game putting you in First Person so you can't, just so a room could be small?

14. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I was thinking of changing uniforms by tier.
    T1 TOS Connie with TOS uniforms
    T2 Connie with TMP uniforms
    T3 Excelsior with WOK uniforms
    T4 Galaxy or Intrepid with TNG uniforms
    T5 Sov or Nebula with when they come out All Good Things uniform.

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I would go with TNg Uniforms on a Galaxy, Voyager Uniforms on an Intrepid or Defiant, Late DS9/ Movie Uniform on Defiant or Souvereign.
    Any Future Uniform you can pick for T5 ships and refits ;)

16. Commodore_Rook

Yeah, that would be the best sequence. That way you get a little of all the eras! Good idea!

PS So the AGT uniform is NOT available yet?? Good! I thought I missed it!

17. syberghost

Not yet, but very soon; the November Engineering Report listed six things "coming soon" in the C-Store, and five of them have arrived. The sixth is the AGT uniforms...

There wasn't a December Engineering Report 'cause Dan was sick, hopefully there will be an update soon.

18. Commodore_Rook

29 more days until I can play it again and am missing it bad!!!! :borg:

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

When do new weekly missions start and who are the foe?

20. syberghost

That would be the kind of information Dan would have put in the December Engineering Report if he wasn't out. :)

Neither has been announced yet. I'll pop back over here and say something as soon as I hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.