Is the NuEnterprise's secondary hull one big engine room?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by abaldwin360, May 2, 2013.

1. abaldwin360

abaldwin360 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Where the old universe star ships had secondary hulls with multiple decks, it would appear the new Enterprise's secondary hull is simply one large engine room with a hanger deck attached to it.

Is this the case? Does anyone know for sure?

I'd love for cutaways and or blueprints of the new design to be made. I always loved looking over the internal layouts of the old ships.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The majority of it appears to be the brewery engineering areas and the enourmous shuttlebay, but there are shiny white corridors and a few other things (like airlocks) too.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The deflector assembly takes up the front portion, then engineering deck most of the "belly" and the shuttlebay and main plasma channels to the nacelles everything behind that, an aft facing twin torpedo deck underneath.

4. greenlight

greenlight Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just don't see how they square this circle. They're making my poor fanboy head explode.

2009:
    JJ: "So then we'll cut to the rear of the ship and the shuttle bay doors'll open and we'll see like rows and rows of shuttles and and one comes zooming out with maybe some lens flare!!!"

Hapless special effects technical adviser: "Um...Mr. JJ...You know the shuttle bay's really not that big... it's more like a two-car garage for the shuttlecraft."

JJ: "Whaaaat?! No. Just...you know what? Just make the damn ship as big as you need to make that shot work!!!"

2013:
    JJ: "So the ship's tumbling end over end and Scotty and Kirk are hanging on for dear life and you can see down like 10... no, 20 stories with theses pipes and it just stretches on like forever..."

hapless special effects technical adviser: "Sigh"

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

An enormous hull length bar and nightclub ?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You're right, totally exposed lava lamps in a carpeted lounge make for a far more realistic portrayel of a matter/antimatter reactor and it's engineering assembly.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the bowling alley!

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm all for something other than a glow stick on steroids at this point.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Having the Warp Core / Dilithium Crystal Chamber on display and making it so fragile was a mistake, but it does look better than the JJPrise and I wish we had it on JJprise...however..........

On one or two episodes of TNG, the ship comes close to blowing up because a Klingon points a disruptor at the warp core and a terrorist puts a small bomb on the warp core. It is implied that both of these can destroy the ship. So WTF did you design it to be so easily accessible for then? Even kids could make it down there no problem! (Pen Pals, TNG S5)

In Star Trek First Contact they decided to put 'Plasma coolant tanks' on either side of the Warp Core, an obvious plot device to kill off the Borg. It liquifies all organic material on contact. This thing is so fragile that Data breaks it with his arm! I mean.. put the fucking coolant that can liquify me whilst im sitting at my engineering console behind 10inches of duranium so I can work without being worried about that glass tank breaking!

OK

TL;DR - Star Trek is stupid? :p

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

They're beyond stupid, and one of the weirdest design features Star Trek ever came up with, unfortunately.

11. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

If only Wesley Crusher was on that ship. That would settle EVERYONE'S hash but quick!

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JJ originally said he wanted the "lower decks" of the ship to look very spartan, much like in sea-faring vessels. I figured he meant the secondary hull, which is comprised of both the shuttle bay and engineering. So, yeah, I think it makes perfect sense for it to take up the entire lower hull. That's the only explanation for how it could "appear" so big (that, and wide-angle lenses).

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No worse than Riker kicking the Viceroy into a bottomless pit from the bottom deck of the Enterprise in Nemesis.

14. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Don't forget the storage bays for all of the hops and barley.

16. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget water reclamation as well which was also pretty fucking enormous

I would wager that its layer out similarly to the TMP cutaway
    Just twice the size and a whole uglier

As much as the new prise has grown on me I still can't get past how skinny the secondary hull looks in comparison to the rest of the ship, just don't flow to me. I know it's giagantic already but to me she needs more belly
    Not being a sour grapes purist but that's how I feel and budgeneering looked laughable in that new clip yesterday. The sears hot water heater tumbling at them didn't help the aesthetics either

17. Shikarnov

Shikarnov Rear Admiral Premium Member

Pittsburgh, PA - (TX, CT, & RF in years past)
    Posts like this one make me wish TBBS had a Like button. :techman:

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

This explanation works for me!

19. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly! Because... uh... no reason other than to support the idea that it must be huuuuuuugh!

Do you know how big 50m is? 70m? 1200m? Could you walk it if asked?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  20. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

You need to get laid brother