Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JoeZhang, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A better question, just what additional anti-terror laws will the US government impose because of this?

Whoever the suspect is I hope he/she is not a patsy like some of the supposed hijackers of 9/11 were (some of them were still alive AFTER 9/11) just so the US government can say 'the suspect came from Iran or Syria' or whichever country they're blacklisting, I really really hope events don't turn out like that and it was a crazed insane inhuman individual who carried out these wicked acts.

The last thing we need is for the US to retaliate and more injury, suffering and death is inflicted.

2. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Hearing conflicted reports about this - before they were saying unrelated, now the authorities are not so sure.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I think it's been confirmed that the thing at JFK Library was an electrical fire that is not related to the marathon incident.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah they came out and confirmed that it was a fire in the new wing of the library. So yay for that. I don't think the wing is even open yet, but someone else would need to confirm that.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd just like to add a wee bit of personal commentary: the JFK Library and Museum is off the charts in terms of sheer awesomeness as a place to visit. I was there a couple of years ago when I visited Boston (which I also like very much) and I cannot recommend it enough. You can spend all day in a museum like that, and I pretty much did. Even if you don't drive to the city, it's easy to reach (take the T to the JFK/UMass station and then there's a shuttle bus). Everyone should go there. :techman:

6. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I was a mile away, leaving the Red Sox game. It was a mob. The marathon was next to the crowds leaving the game when the subway shutdown. We walked for a while before getting on the T.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Thanks, Peach.

It seems fairly certain that the JFK incident was unrelated, which is encouraging. Nobody has yet claimed responsibility and the bombs seem to have been small and crude. It's looking like either a domestic group or a lone-wolf nutcase at this point.

8. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

It's smart that even though the JFK incident doesn't appear connected, to treat it as such till fully confirmed one way or the other.

9. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to one picture I saw, the race clock was at 4 hours, 9 minutes when the first bomb when off, and I understand that most racers finish this race between 3:30 and 4:30, so they timed it when a lot of people should be crossing the finish line. I hope they catch these bastards soon. My prayers go out to everyone who was there.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know what to think about this other than my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in this senseless tragedy. God I hate the world we live in. If only one day in my lifetime we can actually see peace, maybe this world is worth it.

This is just really sad and awful. :(

11. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

And NBC News is reporting that one of those that died was just 8 years old. :(

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I hadn't heard that. :(

I agree.

13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm still amazed at how the marathoners kept on going, just a mile away. The area around Kenmore station was packed with cops. People kept going on toward where the explosions were, even after a few people tried to tell us. They didn't realize what was happening obviously.

I'm home finally. It was an amazing game today, marred by what happened within an hour of the game.

14. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Very shocking and tragic. On my daily calendar today, there was a picture of the Boston Marathon. Later I read a little blurb on E! News about a "blast." I thought somebody was having a blast in Boston, so I didn't read further, but this is just awful!

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The game is always great, morning with baseball and breakfast and everyone goes out and watches the runners.

Now some sicko wrecked it. Even if it's some crazy American who wanted to be famous, it's still terror to me.

A shame where this world is going. But life must go on and we must enjoy it.

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thoughts and prayers definitely go out to Boston... and the families who have been hit by this unfathomable tragedy... but also for an end to this mindless bloodshed.

Many of us here on TBBS live our lives peacefully and occasionally indulge in hobbies; all is right with our world. But outside, there are still so many brutal people who are either deranged or have been brainwashed to believe in a faith that condones the killing of innocent people for imaginary causes. It's just sad how we're still so far away from living in a truly peaceful place where everyone gets along and those who can't are helped before they do harm.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope if this is some American nutjob, they treat him as a terrorist. Domestic or International, attacking innocents like that is still terrorism, doesn't matter if he's a part of some cell or not.

18. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well said I'm going to borrow part of this for else-ware.

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

It appears my initial hunch was right, that this was the work of an amateur bomber. I've read reports on the CNN website stating that investigations reveal the explosives were made of crude materials and that the perpetrator(s) didn't have a specifically large target and wasn't going for "maximum damage."

Amateur or not, this doesn't make the attack on innocent people any less deplorable or horrific. The attacker must be brought to justice.

20. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral