Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

Then we will have to agree to disagree. He knew who he was dealing with, and what they were capable of. You can call it desperate, and I would agree... and I think the character would agree on that. Heroic? that' also a point to debate, but I would still support the decision simply because of who he was dealing with and the knowledge of what they would do if they were allowed to leave the scene alive. Then again... maybe Lockwood did survive and was actually Beckett's shooter. That's unlikely though, given the proximity of Montgomery's gun when shot and the amount of time until Montgomery's funeral.

It increased the odds, because otherwise she doesn't even get out of that hangar area alive. Montgomery's choice was Beckett or his family. All of them were innocent and none of them deserved to die. None of his choices involved his own death. That is the only solution that could have possibly avoided any violence on Montgomery's own part. Yet it would achieve nothing. Sacrifice himself and Beckett and his family probably both die.

Nobody said this was an easy solution. It was simply the least objectionable one, imho.

Agreed on all counts!

Agreed on this particular cliffhanger, because yes... you know she will survive. This isn't the type of show that takes too many chances. However.... it's my understanding she was not wearing a kevlar vest, simply because there was no room for it, given the images we saw. Even some slimline version would probably punctured by the kind of rifle a sniper like this is likely to use.

I suppose anything is possible, given tv history. :lol:

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best cliff hanger for me since TNG's Best of Both Worlds. This is going to be a long summer...

Per Christopher's post, Montgomery's involvement was telegraphed pretty early on. I know they wanted to give Santiago-Hudson significant screen time on his swan song, but they made it way too obvious.

Great episode all around. With the exception of Alexis, all of the main cast had some nice moments in this one.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I don't remember what, specifically, it was (it might've just been me being excessively genre-aware), but I feel like during earlier episode in the Beckett's Mom arc I occasionally got the fleeting impression they were going to have Montgomery be involved, but then I relaxed when they never actually did.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Wow! Tense finale was tense! Hats off to the poster who called Montgomery's involvement waaaaay back then.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, damn, I hope not. That would be incredibly lame and corny, a tiresome soap-opera cliche with zero believability. Good grief, if she suffered enough brain damage to erase the past three years of her memory, then realistically she'd have other serious neurological impairments that would probably make it impossible for her to function as a detective, maybe even to lead an unassisted life. To have her restored to perfect functionality but with the last three years of memory gone -- or even worse, to remember everything except Castle -- would be completely nonsensical.

Not to mention that resetting her character to square one, erasing all her life experience of the past three years, would be a total waste from a storytelling standpoint.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Yeah, the amnesia bit is too hokey.

My prediction:
    They'll start season 4 several months later (as they did with previous seasons) and Beckett will be recovered, physically at least. She heard what Castle said to her before she passed out, but she's going through so much sh*t that she can't deal with it right now. Castle will be there to support her, and not push the relationship thing until she's ready. Beckett will start seeing a therapist, and will want to move slow with Castle.
    Montgomery was pulling police files out of a safe at his house, and he sent a letter somewhere, so I'm sure those will play a big part in continuing that storyline.

I'd like to see Esposito and Ryan get more to do, maybe have Castle work just with them for an episode or two as Beckett is recovering.

Damn this show. I love it too much!

7. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Fuck no. That would be absolute shit out of some crappy 80's drama that we should have buried forever by now.

As for the finale, I agree with others that they telegraphed Montgomery's involvement a little too much but still loved the episode. I hope to dear god they don't hit a big reset button after this.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Those are excellent suggestions.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I did enjoy Esposito and Ryan's reaction to finding out there boss was the 3rd cop. They do need more screen time imo come season 4 as the only complaint I have with the show is the lack of development for the secondary characters.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I think they did get some in season three though. Ryan in love and Esposito hooking up with Lanie (sp?) and a couple of other bits. Still, it'd be nice to see more of them just as you said. They seem to have good chemistry. In fact the entire cast does.

11. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed that his retirement was a dead (heh) giveaway on that. Still it played out well.

It seemed that Beckett did register Castle's "I love you" before passing out. (Nicely played by Katic). I'll bet though, that she doesn't remember it when she wakes up. My guess is that Castle's warning at the moment of the shot resulted in her moving just enough to avoid an instantly fatal shot.

As for who's the next Cap: what's Ted McGinley up to these days?

Oh, and my guess (at least this week) for The Big Bad : the Mayor!

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah I was also thinking the mayor could be the big bad.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Wow.. best season finale so far and what a drama it was. It was clear that Montgomery was involved somehow but halfway through the show i was suspecting that he was the brains behind all this but i'm glad it turned out like it did.

Awesome moment with Esposito and Ryan dealing with their emotions after the find out out Montgomery is the 3rd cop.. their world is shattered to pieces and in their anger, rage and confusion they turn to violence to let it out. I think that's very human and shows how much they care about their team and that this "betrayal" hits especially deep.

The Castle/Beckett relationship.. damn. From their final confrontation in Beckett's appartment where they, or at least Castle, admitted that there's more than friendship and zeroing in on her deepest secrets tp him holding her in his arms and saying the three most important words it was pure gold.
    When i was checking up Youtube about Castle (watch the Gag reels... they're awesome! :techman:) i saw several interviews with the producers and cast and they are well aware of the possibilities but also limits of sexual tension between main characters and they also know that you can milk that only so far before the audience gets tired of it and it becomes lame when writers pull dumb reasons out of their hat to prolong it further.
    So i believe this is it.. he said, she heard it and Castle being greenlighted for the 4th season she will pull through and we'll most likely see their relationship evolve to the next level. And who's to say that has to be boring? Castle is still this grown up kid who's never had a meaningful, long term relationship and she's a kinda control freak (to exaggerate a bit) so there plenty potential for awesome scenes of them taking the next steps.

Fall can't come soon enough.

14. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Well, I have to say I that finale had me on the edge of my seat. It was neat to see Nathan Fillion bringing in a stronger, almost darker side to Castle; it gave me a flashback to Mal's darker moments, the kind that would make a fair amount of his Firefly crew blink, but not Beckett, given their dynamic.

I have to confess, my initial instinct when they started to allude to a cop within the precinct was, "It can't be some random cop, and there is something so huge behind all this, consequently the cop has to been in the highest position possible." And then I freaked out, because my instincts were pointing directly to Montgomery himself. I forced myself to set this aside, and wait and see how the story unfolded from there, if any new characters were introduced or something.

As this finale ran it's course, the same thought popped up again, early on. I was dismayed to see Esposito and Ryan's reaction to the big reveal, I love those guys; their such a great double act and they are the perfect offset to the melodrama of Castle/Beckett. It's nice to see how those four are now a more strongly bound family, by the secret that they keep.

There is great potential to shake up the dynamic in the show, it can really move forward in interesting ways. I agree with people who said it would be such a tedious development to have Beckett have some sort of memory loss or something, to flinch from that breakthrough.

15. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new captain will probably be a woman. Someone to somehow come between Castle and Beckett.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Wow, I wrote this 5 months ago and I can't believe how close I was to the identity of the 3rd cop! So it was indeed Montgomery, except that he had to give away the ransom money to the "big bad".

The only remaining suspect is the Mayor, so I'm placing my bet on him!

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Fair enough, but I just dont see her walking away from that gunshot without something that puts a wedge in her and Castle's relationship. Your right, it probably will be the trauma of it all, but she seems like such a strong person, being shot and all, that it wont be a lasting wedge.

18. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

My reaction exactly!!! At least Castle said it. :)

19. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see most of that, but not Beckett going to a therapist. If she wasn't going to one all these years over her mother's death, over all the shit she sees day to day as a cop, I don't see what is going to motivate her to do it now.

Montgomery was a betrayal but so was what she went through with her ex partner earlier in the season. She deals with things herself, processing her emotions in her downtime alone. This is integral to her character and it's the reason why she needs Castle as part of her life to pull her up into the sunshine regularly, as was well described in the finale.

I'm left with the impression the sudden move by the bad guys was motivated by Montgomery's impending retirement? So Beckett wouldn't have been on his leash anymore? But I'm not sure if the episode spelled that out.
    And the mayor was pushing Castle onto Beckett all this time as well, and regularly mentioned by Montgomery.

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else feeling that the scene with her dad felt a little fishy? Later, when he mentions her dad they're interrupted before he can mention the visit. Fake dad? Big bad? Big bad evil Daddy? Intentional distraction? There is something off there.

In any case, I look forward to the upcoming Storm graphic novel and third Rook/Heat novel.