#FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Kennysmith....with respect, perhaps you'd like to start your own thread rather than continuing to try to sidetrack this one? This thread is about the Free Babylon 5 campaign. It *is* about getting the show back in front of viewers by way of reruns. It's *not* about hard drives or 20-year-old computers.

JMS' panel at San Diego Comic-Con was in the Saturday schedule unveiling:

...which also doesn't directly relate to #FreeBabylon5 except that I'd love the opportunity to drape a #FreeBabylon5 lanyard on him or see if he'd wear a badge ribbon or button. ;)

Jan

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Here's another one: Cozi TV. I forgot about it because the Boston feed is mostly infomercials, but it's another possibility for you.

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Thanks, RJDiogenes

I may have mentioned that I'll be handing out envelopes addressed to the head of Warner Bros. Entertainment

Kevin Tsujihara, CEO
    Warner Bros. Entertainment
    4000 Warner Blvd
    Burbank, CA 91505

at San Diego Comic-Con at my panel. I'm also going to have more at my table as well as some to

Bonnie Hammer, Chairman
    NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment Group
    100 Universal City Plaza, 14th Floor
    Universal City, CA 91608

at the table. This might cover a number of individual channels all at once.

If all of you reading could make a special effort to do some mailing, e- or snail-, the week of the con (July 23-28) it would really be appreciated! Loud and organized is what we need.

Jan

4. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am real sorry but if the person don't get any of the hard drive back in his hands you will not see B-5 back on the air at all.

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

You mean *new* B5? Why not? You may have seen the Lost Tales? New CGI and it was gorgeous. I understand that many 'unofficial' CGI files were found and used in making the Legend of the Rangers movie, for that matter. While I'm certain that there might be a convenience factor, certainly a historic significance to the original data, it's utterly unnecessary.

As for seeing B5 back on the air in reruns, that's already happening. We just need more of it.

Jan

6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

Rich, because even after reading three times through the first few sentences that followed, I STILL could barely understand what was being said.

Oh and I know Americans pronounce it "DOOO", but that still does not change the spelling. It's "due" as in, "due to bad weather, all flights are grounded."

:rolleyes:

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You're welcome.

A few more I forgot to mention:

TV Land

Nick at Nite

Deja View (Canadian version of TV Land and Nick At Nite)

Vision TV (Canadian religious channel with a liberal slant, could show Babylon 5 [has shown Quantum Leap in the past])

Oh crap, forgot about that one myself-thanks for the heads-up.

8. RJDiogenes

No problem. I had no idea there were so many retro channels.

9. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

And yet they all seem to play the same shows over and over. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that shows do rotate among channel groups.

This works wonderfully. Targeting both individual stations as well as corporate executives, maybe, just maybe we can get some action going.

Thanks all!

Jan

10. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hub Network. They were playing Sliders for awhile...

11. RJDiogenes

There is a lot of overlap, at least among sitcoms. But there's still a bunch of stuff I don't get to see.

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Saturday at San Diego Comic-Con (or the day JMS announced that he'll do a B5 movie).

I got there at a good time, not long after the con opened at 10:00 AM. A little surprisingly, the mezzanine didb't really seem too much busier than other days so far except for the food area being busier. I've got pre-written letters to WB and NBC/Universal out on the table and a fair number of folks took those to mail after adding a little demographic info. Five or six were left with me and I dropped them off to be mailed.

The big panel of the day was JMS' of course. First I went to his signing and got a few things signed that will most likely be destined as fund-raisers. I verified with JMS that he wouldn't mind if I handed out buttons and postcards before his panel. A new friend, Lukas, handed out at the door and I wandered the room where people were already staying from the panel before.

JMS started the panel by reviewing his current projects, both 'out house' (not Studio JMS) and in-house and continued with news. We got an introduction to the Sense8 actors. JMS described it as a "...complex, amazing tapestry of stories."
    - Ten Grand: JMS is currently negotiating with a major Studio/Network for a series based on this.
    - Shadowman feature film: He's two to three weeks from turning in the latest draft.
    - He couldn't name it, but he's working on a project for Universal concerning Rod Serling and working with Carol Serling, Rod's widow on it.
    - Again he couldn't say much but he sshowed a title card for a show called "Two Streets" that he's just made a deal with Universal for that he'll be working with "Walking Dead's" Gail Anne Hurd.
    - "Titans" is the name of the Ffeature film/graphic novel project that was just announced yesterday (see movie thread).

So it's been a really big year for Studio JMS. And due to that, he can now look to doing a feature film ffor B5. JMS recapped that WB owns everything about B5 except the movie rights and even though he holds the film rights, to take a B5 movie to another studio without holding the TV rights wouldn't work. There's one studio in LA that doesn't care about that - Studio JMS - and in 2015 JMS will write the script. He'll give WB the opportunity to step up, but if they don't, Studio JMS will make it in 2016 on thier own with a $1-200,000,000.00 budget.

Fan questios:
    A fan asked if JMS might crowdfund part of the film so that fans might be involved and JMS said that he resists doing that because it seems to him that SF fans are an exploited group and he doesn't ever want to do that - he'd rather accept investor money.

Asked about the current situation with streaming Babylon 5, JMS said that it's all up to Warner Bros. and geve the #FreeBabylon5 campaign a nice plug, telling of the success in Europe to date and hoping for some movement domestically.

A fan asked if the success of a B5 feature might improve the chances of streaming and even future TV projects and JMS said that it would probably have a significant effect, that a good way to get someone's (WB) attention is to rattle their cage.

Asked if the film would be a reboot or a continuation:
    "It would have to be a reboot because it's been twenty-plus years since we started that show and some of the age ranges wouldn't work with some of these characters so we'd need to move a few people around. But what I want to do is use the original cast one way or another but we'd have to move some things around. I'd love to see Bruce as the PPresident of the Earth Alliance; it would be the perfect role for him."

JMS went on to tell about a story he wanted to do that he wasn't allowed to in the original show where when Londo was injured, he wanted to do a dream sequence where the actors played different characters but the studio thought the audience would get confused.

A fan asked what's being made not that would equal BB5 for being transformative and JMS replied that TV is having a golden age right now with lots of amazing things. being made.

He concluded with his regular homily for the fans to never surrender their dreams, that with persistance and talent and luck, can overcome your circumstances and follow your passionss and succeed.

Jan
    (posting in various places- feel free to share)