X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

If they were inclined towards a Star Trek style reboot, they could even use the Apocalypse movie to reboot to a new universe.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would agree except that Wolverine's cameo was one of the only things I liked about that movie.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Be careful what you wish for.
    [​IMG]

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Has there not been some hint that DOFP will do something like that? Or at least will explain away inconsistencies between the original trilogy and the last 2 prequel movies (FC and Wolverine)?

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

^ I think DOFP will probably have a bit of a Star Trek style retcon, yeah. However...

I think the problem with this is you're still tied to the same rules of the universe as now established. I can't think of any main things, but, for example, if you want Rogue to be the same age as Cyclops, etc., a timeline reboot isn't entirely satisfying (it's the Chevov problem to reference Star Trek in that the character is literally not the same person but otherwise shares a lot of attributes). Even then, we're talking about someone who would likely have to be born before the events of DOFP to work. On top of that, I keep bringing up Rogue, but she naturally brings up Gambit who would be essentially untouched by the reboot (and they desparately need to reboot him). That being said, that is one way to do it (provided they want to gradually reintroduce original X-Men characters to DOFP).

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The original trilogy matches up fairly well with Origins; the inconsistency is mostly between FC and everything else.

7. Captaindemotion

^Mostly, though Origins does have, in 1979, a Scott Summers who would seem to be remarkably well-preserved by 2000 (or its near future, when the first movie is set). The two takes on Victor/Sabretooth are also a wee bit apart, though not irreconcilable (and I suppose a timeshift can't really tidy that up anyway).

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Does any normal person watching care about such trival things?

9. Captaindemotion

^Probably not, but it gives the rest of us something to talk about when we're meant to be working!

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I think you just summed up every thread on this board...and quite possibly the entire internet. ;)

The only real inconsistency I ever noticed was Xavier walking in the X3 prologue and at the end of Origins, while FC has him being paralysed in the early 60's. Even then I'm sure there's a way to explain that if one were so inclined. Honestly I'd rather just ignore X3 & Origins for the most part.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There is also Xavier saying that he met Magneto when he was 17 and that the two of them built the first Cerebro together. Multiple Moira MacTaggerts. Mulitple Emmas. Multiple Madro--- wait, nevermind that one...

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

IIRC he didn't specifically say Magneto helped build the "first" cerebro. Indeed from the context of the conversation it seems as though he's talking about the modern one they were standing in at the time. Of course that conversation would also pre-suppose that this is the only cerebro, but I don't think the retconned existence of an early prototype matters one way or the other.

Maybe in DoFP we will see Erik help Xavier build the one under the mansion. Indeed, with all the seamless metal lined corridors, it's more or less implied that the whole thing was built by Magneto.

As for their ages when they met, yeah, that's an inconsistency, but a fairly minor one IMO. They were still both young men at the time and very different people and I doubt the average viewer is going to remember that precise detail mentioned in passing. I know I didn't. ;)

The multiple Emma's are easily dismissed as co-incidence, but the two Moiras area little more problematic because of their connection to Charles. I suppose one could be the daughter of the other (I forget how old the actress was in X3?) or we could suppose that Agent MacTaggert retired from the Agency and became a doctor? But that might be pushing it.

Anyway, this is all minor niggling stuff, of a sort that the comic are just as guilty of, so I don't see it as a major issue.

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daughter in law. Dr MacTaggert was originally Moira Kinross so I suppose it's just a coincidence that both women are called Moira. Stranger things have happened.

14. Set Harth

We could always fall back on A Mutant Did It...

There also may be some discrepancy between Origins and the first film on the issue of how long Logan has been in his amnesiac condition, though it's hard to precisely pinpoint what years these films are supposed to be taking place in. If the end of Origins is supposed to be 1979, and the first film is supposed to be no earlier than, say, 2000, then Xavier's estimate of 15 years is a bit off. But if Xavier is going only by whatever vague impression he's getting from Logan's mind then that's understandable. I'm also not entirely convinced that the end of Origins must necessarily be taking place in 1979, given that we're dealing with fiction.

The current company line seems to be that the Emma in Origins is just "Kayla's sister Emma" and not Emma Frost, coincidental diamond skin notwithstanding; this is helped somewhat by the fact that she was only called Emma Frost in trailers or promotional material and never in the actual film.

And stopped aging... :shrug:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Is she even referred to as "Emma" is X-MO:W? Been a while since I watched it.

16. Set Harth

I think it's just in the credits.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry if this is old, but I found this little but
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YBR9gEyYI[/yt]

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It'll be neat if we get to see 80's Wolverine bump into an African white mohawked girl.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

20. Set Harth

Toad is not Ray Park??? The hell?