Trek actors in other roles

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by T'Cal, Nov 8, 2012.

1. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I recently watched Throw Mamma From the Train on Netflix which I hadn't seen in a long time and there was Captain Janeway as Billy Crystal's ex-wife.

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I stumbled across an episode of The Rockford Files (the James Garner PI show?) on a late-late night run a few years ago and thought I saw Marc Alaimo. This was before I'd finished DS9 so only knew him from Dukat make-up but his features and voice were pretty recognisable. And he was playing a baddie. Duh. I'm sure I've seen Faran Tahir in West Wing too and Steven Culp (Hayes in ENT) has popped up recently in a very memorable Republican House Speaker guest role.

3. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

I remember Avery Brooks as the high school teacher in the absolutely superb film American History X. His style of acting was a good fit for that role.

And who could forget Brent Spiner as the over-enthusiastic scientist in Independence Day? His talent wasn’t utilized but was still memorable in its own way!

4. Maniarek

Maniarek Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's pretty cool. I gave Warehouse 13 a go sometime ago but my interest waned after the first few episodes....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was lukewarm about it for a while myself, but it's really improved in the past couple of seasons.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Probably, but I can never resist a chance to plug Matheson. It's second nature at this point! :)

7. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I was pleasently suprised to see Rosalind Chao show up in Tour of Duty as vietnamese fighter.

Also Hk-47, Kristoffer Tabori was really good in that.

8. Greg Cox

Let's not forget Majel Barret as a robot madam into Westworld . . .

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was watching the film "Tango and Cash" one time, when I noticed one of the bad guys sitting in a chair, tenting his fingers just like Gul Dukat would do. Yeah, it was Marc Alaimo. One time I went to see a play at one of the non-equity 99 seat theatres in LA, and a photo was on a wall indicating Alaimo was a member of the theatre company. Unfortunately, he wasn't in the play I saw.

10. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shatner's first Columbo is interesting because Walter Koenig pops up in a small role.

What's odd about it is it doesn't feel like an intentional gag. The two aren't on screen together, there's no cutesy references and Walter's part is all of three lines. It feels for all the world as if it's just that his career was just in a place where thankless bit parts were all he could get and cropping up in the same show as Shatner was just a coincidence.

Shatner's second Columbo is interesting because of the deeply silly moustache he's sprouting. Which grows and shrinks across the film (Falk's hair is noticeably dyed much darker in one scene as well, all of which makes it feel like they did some shooting much later than the bulk of production).

There's an episode of Lois and Clark where Jonathan Frakes (along with his wife) is introduced to the scenery and given a knife and fork before being told to chow on down.

11. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

A few weeks ago I saw Shatner in "Judgment at Nuremberg" on TCM.

12. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

He certainly compensated for that.

13. Greg Cox

I was just watching The Manitou (don't judge me), a very silly horror movie from the seventies in which Michael Ansara ("Kang") plays a heroic Native American medicine man . . . .

14. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do that too. Even give a "Trek Index" to shows and movies. The old "Spiderman" series was pretty good for that. One episode had William Smithers and Andrew Robinson. (Merrick and Garak!)

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you mean the '70s The Amazing Spider-Man series with Nicholas Hammond, it featured Michael Pataki (Korax) in a recurring role as a police captain. And Rosalind Chao (Keiko) had a featured role in the final 2-part episode. Other Trek guests in that show include Theodore Bikel, Barbara Luna, Paul Carr, Nicolas Coster, and Hagan Beggs. (Its guests also included some actors with other superhero connections -- JoAnna Cameron, aka Isis; Gavan O'Herlihy from Superman III; and Bob Hastings and Lloyd Bochner, who were Commissioner Gordon and Mayor Hill in Batman: The Animated Series.)

16. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

I recently re-watched Escape from L.A. (the silly sequel to Escape from New York) and for a few seconds I was wondering where I'd seen "that" actress before... then it hit me: Ro Laren!
    Not a huge role, but a nice surprise nonetheless.

17. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I lolled.

18. Greg Cox

I finally got around to watching NATIONAL TREASURE 2 last night--and was amused to see Bruce Greenwood ("Captain Pike") playing the President of the United States!

I was also vaguely troubled by how he resembled Mitt Romney . . .

19. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Hey! The actor in your avatar played Ollie in the 1966 classic "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" along side the late, great Don Knotts! Just sayin'...

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ever seen Thirteen Days?