Does Voyager end up in its original universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Melakon, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I only have a few episodes through Fan Collective sets, and there are many episodes I haven't seen since first run (including one I've not seen at all except for brief clips).

The ship went through many permutations of space, time, and alternate realities in seven years. Voyager left Deep Space 9, got snatched by the Caretaker, and eventually arrives back home sporting advanced Borg technology.

But is that welcoming committee with Admiral Paris and company from the same timeline/universe of the Deep Space 9 they left, or has Voyager actually wound up somewhere else?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And would they care?

Especially if there were no major differences. What if they were back for like 10 years and one day Janeway noticed that some small thing was different but couldn't find any other differences but still became convinced that they were in an altered timeline from their starting point, would she want to fix it? Probably because she's a little obsessive like that.

Also I am super envious that you are seeing an episode you have NEVER SEEN. Which one was it?

3. Melakon

No, I still haven't seen that one I've never seen, which is "Relativity". Though VOY Season V was at the vid store when I got TOS Season 3, but at the time I wasn't sure I could afford both, which were the same price.

I will have to check the bank/credit card balances tomorrow and see if I can get it.

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Relativity!

5. teacake

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! You haven't seen Relativity one of the BEST EPISODES EVER!!!!!

I am jelly.

No scratch that, I'm a whole trifle over this, this is like getting an extra Christmas as a kid in the middle of the year.

So do you own it? Do you have it? When are you going to watch it?!

6. Melakon

It's time travel, and I love time travel shows because they can be so damned perplexing when done right.

I don't have Season V for Voyager yet, that's what I'll have to try for tomorrow. The only other VOY seasons they had were 1,2,3, and 7. But since "Relativity" is in V, that where I should start if I can. All depends if I can afford $35.

7. teacake

Time travel is my favorite theme, particularly when a story travels into the future. I'm less interested in sticking characters in Victorian dress as they often don't bother playing with the real culture shocks ending up there would have.

8. Melakon

I'm sometimes a sucker for parallel universe stories too. Even "Living Witness" and its revisionist history interpretation works for me, because it takes the known and adds all sorts of weird shit to it.

9. teacake

Me too, and I also love the whole sliding doors, what if you chose this life path or got off at this station idea. I have several alternative lives outlined in my mind that I could have ended up with, sometimes they seem very clear :lol:

10. Melakon

Some of the inspiration for this thread came from watching "Timeless" again today.

Captain LaForge talks as if his timeline will end if Old Harry and Old Chakotay and New Girlfriend succeed. But we're talking about a significant action causing a branch in a timeline. In Geordi's universe, even if Harry succeeds, it would be as if the Delta Flyer blows up anyway. If the event is a branching point and Harry fails, that timeline continues with Harry and friends either dying in the explosion, or being captured and spending time in a penal colony.

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

In Workforce, I've argued that Chakotay knew exactly how to manipulate the brainwashed Janeway into joining his cause. He knew she couldn't resist a wounded man who would put himself at her mercy to save his people.

Seven is in a similar position in this ep. She knows exactly how to manipulate a disbelieving Janeway to get her to join Seven's cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_uxVjizLEM

Tell Janeway that Voyager is in grave danger.

Explain that Seven is a member of her crew.

And challenge her with Janeway's own words.

"Trust me. Now."

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_uxVjizLEM[/yt]

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Melakon, if you can't watch the episode, how do you feel about reading it?

http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/523.htm

Is it intellectual theft to read a transcript?

(It barely isn't.)

Your eyes are not so good, but every PC made in the last 20 years, has a text to speech software built-in (there's a "test" found on your control panel that will read 200 characters.) feature, but you need an actual application to bring this function completely to light.

Free and legal text to speech applications.

So if this all works out, you'll have a Stephen Hawking robot voice reading web pages and text documents, or in this case a 15 year old television show, while you lay down and put your feet up.

:)

Oh! John DeLancie is on the Mentalist today!

Voyager stayed in the same time line beginning to end, but we viewed many different timelines as the show continued, abandoning timelines as they proved to become less than constantly victorious... We only like winners. #### the losers.

The worst offender is Fury.

In one timeline, in perhaps the one where they got home, they carried Kes' corpse with them in sickbay from the beginning of seaosn one till they got home, and in the other, that we watched for 6 years, they didn't.

13. Zippo and Flask

Zippo and Flask Lieutenant Red Shirt

For that matter, how do any of us know we are in the same universe in which we started?

14. Melakon

I've read a lot about "Relativity" over the years, including critical analysis, and understand the basics of the story. But reading just the transcript without the visual image of what's going on leaves a lot to be desired. I can imagine what they might physically be doing in a scene, but I don't know for certain. My focus when watching an episode is always on the technical aspects regarding acting, photography, music, movement, etc., and less on the script. This is why I like home video, and it also lets me rewatch individual scenes over and over when I'm concentrating on story points.

But if the bank balance works out, and the season collection is still at the store tomorrow, I'll have it in about 16 hours.

15. teacake

OMG just.. well you know. That thing we can't talk about.

16. Melakon

Yeah, but I prefer physical copies of media, not digital. That's the whole point of trying to build a personal library.

17. teacake

So watch it and then buy it later. It's not like watching a non physical form of it stops you from owning it.

18. Melakon

Good grief, we're only talking about me going without it for another 16 hours. I can wait that long.

Besides, I'm watching my new TOS Season 3 episodes tonight (it's 9pm here).

19. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I already exchanged all my atoms and cells several times since I was born. It's like I went thru the transporter. Who am I? What am I? Damned Star Trek, making me question existence.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It takes 7 years for the bottom skin by your bone to rise to the top, fall off and blend into the carpet... Unless you happen to be super fat.

14 years?

21?