MLP:FiM S3E10 - "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 18, 2013.

?

Grade & Discuss

1. A

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. B

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. C

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. F

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Episode Title: "Keep Calm and Flutter On"
    Episode Air Date: Saturday, January 18th, 2013 / 10:30 AM EST, the HUB

SUMMARY: "Princess Celestia tasks the ponies with reforming Discord, a mischievous spirit of disharmony, but Fluttershy is the only one who is willing to give him a chance."

--------------

After a two week drought, we have another episode, praise Celestia! This one seems to have generated a bit of a rumble throughout the community (as if that is new) because in this episode, Discord returns, and it's up to our soft spoken ultra adorable mare of meekness to get him to change his ways! You know the rules, talk about whatever you like, but all spoilers have to be in spoiler code until after 3 PM (EST).

So let's go everypony! Grade & Discuss!

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

DisQord! :luvlove:

I had no idea. This makes me very happy!

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't even begin to tell you how psyched I am for this. People have been giving it a lot of flack after it was revealed to be written by Dave Polsky, but I've enjoyed every episode he's had a hand in this season, so I think I'm going to love this one. Additionally, if the conflict centers around Fluttershy's values vs. everypony else's, it will be bringing back something Ive missed since season one, namely the "battle-of-the-worldviews" type episodes. You know the ones I mean – Feeling Pinkie Keen, Look Before You Sleep, Green Isn't Your Color, and the like, where the conflict arises from the chatracters' different beliefs and values. Should be interesting.

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you want to try that again? ;)

5. Gepard

^I guess that explains why this thread is up a day early.

The Hub put up a preview clip:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfcSPNxRB0&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

AIUQDBFJEFNIBIBSDGIUGBSGIUBDGIBISGBUIUbgIPUGBIUBgiUGbiUBISDUG

Ah. Ahem. So, yeah, that's pretty awesome. They seem to be running with the "Deja Q" vibe, albeit that Discord still has his powers. (Why he hasn't used them to level Ponyville and conquer the world I don't know, but maybe they'll explain that.)

6. Amaris

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one (I say this about all of them). :D

One of the reasons I'm excited is because Dave Polsky is good at getting a nice story across without talking down to his audience, which means people like us can appreciate it as well.

No. I'm correct. It's the world that is wrong. :shifty:

That trailer looks awesome. Can't wait for *ahem* tomorrow!

7. Gepard

I swear to god I'm going to build that Discord lamp. I'll have to find some time this coming week to swing by a craft shop and pick up supplies.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'll be off to my Brony meet so I'll miss it. But if it's as bad as I think it's going to be, I won't be in a hurry to catch on it.

9. Amaris

As always, I hold out hope that it will be great. For myself, I am rarely disappointed. :D

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That trailer is awesome. I want that lamp! :D

I thought the episode was already one (because the stream I was trying to watch gave out) but Pony Countdown says it's on at half past the hour. So maybe I'll get to watch it live.

11. Count Zero

Noone else watching? So far, it's great. John DeLancie is fantastic as Discord and I love all the little tricks they let Discord do.

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I am, Zero! And I'm already laughing.
    ETA: Poor Angel!

13. Count Zero

"NOT THE DRESS! NOT THE DRESS!" :lol: Aw, Rarity. I really appreciate how we see the beavers preparing to wreak havoc in the background during the episode. Loved the rolling house, too.

14. Gepard

I'm watching right now. It's pretty good, though I have my reservations about the quality of the dialogue this week. I'm very curious to see how they resolve the story.

15. Gepard

Oh fuck Fluttershy what did you just agree to. :eek:

16. Peach Wookiee

She... made DisQord cry!

ETA: Fluttershy is... wow. She's better than Data!

17. Count Zero

Hahaha, I knew that was the plan all along. Fluttershy guilt-tripped Discord into behaving. What a pony.

They did lay it on a bit thick at the end although I loved how he said, "Friendship is magic" but all in all, I think this was pretty awesome. They also made it clear that he isn't totally reformed and that he might cause some chaos in the future. I hope we'll see him again.
    I chuckled at all the other ponies' reaction to Fluttershy's monologue at the end.

18. Gepard

Huh. That...huh. I already miss asshole trickster Discord, and his conversion was implausibly sudden. And yet I enjoyed it anyway.

Wish we'd had more princess Celestia. I was expecting more than a cameo at the beginning and end. Ah well.

@CZ: I think we'll be seeing him again. Zap2It dropped the title and synopsis for the season finale, and the premise lines up with a couple of rumored Discord lines that were leaked on 4chan. If those leaks are accurate, Celestia does imdeed have a plan for him, and for Twilight.

19. Peach Wookiee

^Remember that he said, "most of the time," Gep. ;) Oh no... he's going to join forces with Pinkie Pie! :rofl:

20. Count Zero

Yeah, it was a bit rushed although I didn't find it really implausible. This was probably the first time someone trusted him and was nice to him and he grew to like it and then missed it when he was about to lose it. But the story would have benefitted from getting more time, that's true.