So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Back to reading "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens (1861). I also checked out CLB's website and found that the recent "Hub" story in Analog is actually the most recent one of three so I went to the basement and got old Analogs and just read "The Hub of the Matter" by Christopher L. Bennett (March 2010) and shall read the second story of the series soon. Not sure what my next ST novel shall be.

2. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I read Great Expectations once after hearing so much about it. I felt kinda let down.

4. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

Just finished The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers.

Now, re-reading some Sherlock Holmes while I decide what to start next.

5. Kertrats47

There's a really great joke in there somewhere...

6. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

That was the joke. It's one of those kinda days. :)

7. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Poor Pip: He gets let down every time somebody reads that book about him. Still, who knows, maybe it has a happy ending. I am only about 75% of the way through a paperback copy of the book. From checking notes, though, it is not even certain whether he gets the girl in the ending. And, it was one of three novels to be read in conjunction with a criminology and literature course at a local university. The other two novels were "Crime and Punishment" (by Dostoyevsky) and "Picture of Dorian Gray" (by Oscar Wilde). I also have to read the latter book/play sometime soon too.

On a similar topic Martha Nussbaum wrote "Poetic Justice" with regard to literature and criminology and suggested a different list that I cannot entirely recall right now. Were they "Native Son," "Hard Times," "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," and, perhaps "Maurice." But I did read those four at the time.

Maybe I just need to read a few murder mysteries. I notice people here express interest in the Dresden Files by Butcher. Protagonist is a wizard and a detective of sorts. But I am not sure about $65.00 for books 1 - 6 and then another $65.00 for books 7 - 12 for my e-reader at this time. Still such could be good for people who patrol the lunatic fringe looking for intruders.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Strange, sure I saw something on amazon uk that had Skin Game as December '13, oh well, more time to catch up.

You've got the Seekers series on your list of future buys, haven't you?

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Of course. :techman:

10. Kertrats47

Ahhhh... sorry. Nicely done! :)

11. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just started TOS No Time Like the Past by Greg Cox. I've been looking forward to this one. Picked it up at Barnes tonight.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's ambiguous. Dickens didn't want a conventional happy ending, and in fact in his original ending to Great Expectations, Pip doesn't win Estella at all. In the published ending, things have reached a point where Estella is at a point in her life where she can accept Pip and they can have a life together.

As for me, I'm working on EW Hornung's Raffles stories. I downloaded all four books (the three collections and a novel) from Project Gutenberg, then made an omnibus ePub out of them. I get bogged down in the Mr. Maturin-era stories, and this time has been no different.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker.

Spell check knows "Jinni", but not "Golem"?

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I really liked that book.

And spellcheckers can be weird. One was giving me trouble with "realtor" earlier today.

15. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My auto-correct never let's me write "Hell" at the beginning of a sentence without constantly changing it to "He'll" instead, yet whenever I type the more obscure word "TiVo" it never fails to capitalize the letters in the more commercially-approved fashion.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

WordPerfect used to try to change "Cardassian" to "courtesan," which somewhat changed the meaning! :)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think spell checks tend to do just as much harm as good at times.
    I finished reading The Dark Crysta: Creation Myths vol. 2 last night.
    My review:
    A great followup to the first volume. I enjoyed getting to see the events that lead to the separation of the Urskeks into the Uru and Skeksis. The dialogue was very well written, and the art is gorgeous.
    My rating: 5/5.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Finished Vanguard: Reap the Whirlwind.....

General Order 24..... What. The. Hell? That was unexpected. The series continues to be wonderfully ambitious. It's one of the few times when a story has taken advantage of the medium, sure you could do Vanguard as a TV series but you'd need one hell of a budget to do it!

So onto Book 4, Open Secrets - and have just ordered Precipice!

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm read ing a science fictionstory anthology 2041 edited by Jane Yolen .There's some really interesting stories in this book by various authors.

20. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished up Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony today. Pretty good all around. Probably the strongest of the four main Typhon Pact novels. I do think some of the computer hijinks seem pretty amateur hour, if it were this easy to take over a ship, it seems like it should have possible to send the ship on a Warp 9 journey out of the system. (I don't think any actual engineering officer solves an engineering related problem the whole book!) I do wish the Andorian issue had been a stronger undercurrent of the four books, climaxing here. As it is, it feels like things go pretty far south in just a few days over the course of one book. Still, this was probably the book that understood its characters the best and the extended Enterprise sequence for the first 100 pages was a nice change of pace from the "Right into the plot" nature of the other three TP novels. Choudhury really stood out to me this time, a really great character. T'Ryssa Chen wasn't even annoying on this outing and I was quite taken with her scenes and interplay with Taurik. I do wish the Enterprise's security detail were less human, though.

Now onto Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within.