Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

2. Samurai8472

Thought people might be interested in some Zyouhger episode 1 clips

Red's first morph

First rolecall minus red

First formation of mecha

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just realized... those four Rangers basically have their own faces printed on their chests. Weird.

Anyway, yesterday's Dino Supercharge, "A Nightmare in Amber Beach," was pretty good. Some effective humor again with the Rangers trying to stay awake, and a nice story about Shelby dealing with her father's expectations for her career. I'm disappointed that they found out about Heckyl and Snide so soon. I liked the dynamic of the Rangers thinking Heckyl was their friend, and I would've liked to see his infiltration last a while longer. It's so rare for the Rangers and their nemesis to have actual conversations with each other. And it makes the whole dual-identity angle less useful if the human-appearing half isn't undercover as a normal person. (Though maybe Heckyl will use his wiles some other way now -- like maybe adopt the persona of a businessman and try to buy the museum and evict the Rangers, or something.)

4. Samurai8472

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ After seeing Deadpool it was funny to see the baddie come in with the "Superhero Landing".

6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wild ZyuOh King

[​IMG]

7. Christopher

Today's Dino Supercharge did an unusual thing for Power Rangers, a classic Superman-style love triangle where the hero's love interest is more into his superhero identity than his real self. Weird seeing the Black Ranger going on a date in full costume and helmet. (And the episode title, "A Date with Danger," is recycling a title that was also used in Power Rangers in Space.

The new villain Singe is effective, with a good voice and an interesting candle/flame design motif (complete with molded faces suggesting tormented souls burning in his hellfire or some such thing). Although it's hard to buy that he's unconnected to the other monsters (or that the other monsters are just a random collection of alien criminals) when they all have the same drama-mask motif on their costumes/bodies (the exceptions being Sledge, who was created for Dino Charge, and Snide, whose original is a reincarnation of an Abaranger villain). But then, I think that's not the first time that's happened in adapting Super Sentai to Power Rangers. The monsters-of-the-week often have a unifying design theme that gets glossed over in the PR adaptation.

8. Christopher

"Roar of the Red Ranger": Well, we finally resolved the mystery of Tyler's missing dad, and man, was it anticlimactic. He just shows up and explains (inadequately) where he's been for the past decade. The best part was the tension between Tyler and Shelby. Some good character work there.

The new T. Rex Supercharge Whatsis was... weird. The T. Rex Zord turns into a mini-Zord that's also a gun? And that's somehow supposed to be more powerful than the Zord that's as big as an actual tyrannosaur? And Tyler gets a Battlizer mode whose main power is to shoot out big animated dinosaur heads that bite the monsters? Throughout this whole sequence, I was just saying "What? What? What?" like the Tenth Doctor.

And seriously, Kendall, upgrade your antivirus software. Or at least look at your laptop screen.

9. Samurai8472

Our first look at the Power Ranger's core cast

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/03/power-rangers-cast-first-look

[​IMG]

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If those are the costumes from the movie, they have definitely toned down the colors a lot. I know bright colors aren't popular as they were when the original was on, but I was still expecting more color.

11. Christopher

Yeah, how can I tell which Ranger is which if their clothes aren't color-coded? ;)

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:)

"I checked my closet this morning, and there's a serious shortage of black in there." -- Tommy, Black DT Ranger

Chris3123 likes this.
  13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The rangers suits will be getting an upgrade? What, they won't use the same old diamond design? Not that the bodysuit patterning had anything to do with the motif of the show...

Mind you, I actually quite liked the MMPR movie suits. They looked like they were actually able to protect the wearer with more than happy thoughts and sweet martial arts flipping.

Mark

14. Christopher

I see your point about the body armor, but I didn't care for the movie's helmet sculpts, which were very clumsy and inelegant compared to the series versions.

Still, given that Ranger armor is basically a product of either magic, superscience, or a blend of both, I've never really needed it to look like actual armor. After all, this is not a franchise rooted in realism. What's being depicted isn't actual violence and combat, it's interpretive dance and acrobatics with fireworks. So the important thing is that the costumes let the stunt performers move freely.

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough, and truthfully I like lots of the standard bodysuit designs, SPD/Dekaranger, Gobuster, and Kyoryuger among them. OTOH, the bulkier suits can convey medieval / magicalness about them as well, and some (often enough the sixth ranger guys, like Dekamaster/Shadowranger and of course Tommy's Dairanger/White) can make it look cool to the point of being iconic, without compromising on the flippy jumpy goodness.

Mark

16. Christopher

Nobody seems to be talking about Dino Supercharge lately. It's still doing pretty well, especially with the comedy. This week's "Riches and Rags" was a lot of fun, but there was one very weird thing about it. They kept talking about the priceless antique "suit of honor" that Ivan accidentally destroyed, an odd phrase that was probably scripted to be "suit of armor," given that Ivan mentioned how poorly it would fare on the battlefield. I can only guess that they couldn't afford to make a suit of armor that they could then destroy, so they made a hasty and clumsy script change.

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I plan to binge all episodes of this season tomorrow, so far I've only seen the first two and a few clips of others. 8 episodes is doable I think, I have zero plan, it's going to be a lazy sunday.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Samurai8472

Official logo for the movie

[​IMG]

20. Christopher

So... it's called Power: Saban's Rangers? That's what it looks like, anyway...