Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I was reading a IGN story on all of the Summer 2015 teaser and I had a thought. What if this is going to be some kind of a look back at the history of the Marvel U before they do a New 52 style reboot? I know that's been rumored for a while.

2. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope not.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still going with "Secret Wars" tie-ins. These will be alternate Earths based on previous events. There were already a number of various alternate realities teased on the original banner revealed from NYCC. These are simply more being introduced. This is going to be a huge story (which is why it will take a year to tell).

"Spider-Verse" is tied into it as well since Slott mentioned the incursions as well in Edge of Spider-Verse.

None of this will make any sense to those who have not been following "Avengers" or "New Avengers" but all of it is part of what has been going on in those books.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Mayday? :eek: Wait, what?:confused:

5. Admiral_Young

^ Alternate 616 Reality where May was never kidnapped by Osborn and "One More Day" never happened. :)

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say making this an Annual would've been a better call just so the story was all in one place. Not that it was hard to follow just probably a bit padded.

I think it's obvious we'll get Rich Ryder back at some point. He's too big of a name. I don't even acknowledge the current middle school kid they made Nova(Sam?). That book still going? Really a tween?

I was getting a bit too sleepy last night but Deathlok #1 by Edmondson is up next on my pile from last week. I've really enjoyed his work on Punisher & Black Widow + I like the Deathlok concept and am only modestly annoyed it's not Luthor Manning or Michael Collins. Anyone want to chime in on that?

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Deathlok #1. I don't have a bunch of experience with other versions of the character, but I liked this first issue. The character seems interesting, and the situation will probably lead to interesting situations. I'm also really enjoying Black Widow (by the same author) and while this isn't quite as good, the first issue at least is worth a read.

8. Admiral_Young

The CancerVerse three parter was typical Bendis compression storytelling. A mini-arc that could have easily been told in an annual as @CaptainCraig suggested. I didn't mind it that much. I don't recall though Rich having feelings for Gamora but then it's been a pretty long time since I read from that era. Probably a Bendis retcon??

"Nova" is actually very good. One of my favourite books since Gerry Duggan has taken over. Sam's made some excellent character progression since Jeph introduced him in his opening arc...so if you've not read beyond that, I would highly recommend revisiting him. The book's not stayed the same and the Watcher's death has probably effected Sam the most given he was kind of a silent mentor.

9. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gamora and Rich were shagging before the Cancerverse storyline, but him falling in love with her is a Bendis addition.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Jane the Virgin, which is just charming, the Grammy sat Jane down when she was just 10 and gave her a ####ed up sex talk. She showed Jane a beautiful flower in he palm of her hand and said "This is you and your precious virginity, but if you were to have sex before marriage" she then snaps her hand shut into a fist crushing the flower, then after a beat, opens her hand slowly revealing the mangled plant "You will have nothing special and beautiful to give your husband on your wedding night."

Now...

Imagine the sex talk Thanos gave 10 year old Gamora.

11. Captain Craig

I did read it last night and felt it was left very open ended vs the other #1's Edmondson has done. I found it laid out enough mystery pieces to follow up on. Having Luthor Manning's file in the one panel was a nice nod and hopefully the start of a thread Edmondson may follow up on. I honestly don't even recall the new lead guy's name at this moment but I'm game to give the first arc a go.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just read through the first seven issues of Nightcrawler. This is some classic Claremont. Nightcrawler is my favorite X-Man, so of course I'm biased, but I'm loving it so far. It's a little disjointed, but I think it'll be great if gets an ongoing storyline.

13. Captain Craig

I saw the Nightcrawler trade listed last week at instocktrades and debated it.
    I may wait for a Black Friday sale, see if it gets discounted again deeper this time.
    Probably not at IST but cheapgraphicnovels.com perhaps.

14. Guy Gardener

The new Thor comic is really good.

They're finally mixing Asgard and Earth again.

I despise purely Asgard stuff.

Ulik the Troll works for Roxxon as Vice President of Extra Dimensional Matters.

That's fricking amazing.

Also they're taunting us with the new identity Thor like a cat being hounded by a laser pointer, and because I haven't read Thor in maybe 4 years, I am completely at a loss if it's someone obvious I'm supposed to know all about.

15. Admiral_Young

Jason Aaron's "Thor" and "God of Thunder" before it has been really good for quite some time. Ever since he concluded his "Godbomb" arc IMO it's been awesome.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Thor #2: so much for my theory that Thora is his mom! it's clearly a young girl. I have no clue who since I haven't read Thor in a long time.

AXIS #5: this is my favorite issue so far. The Dodson art was gorgeous and the writing had room to breathe this time. We got some absolutely hilarious dialogue from Spidey and Nova, and this time we had a logical understanding of why and who was going crazy versus last issue which was just off-putting. It was also really, really cool to see Old School Apocalypse again (this is Evan, Kid Apocalypse, being twisted by the inversion, right?)

17. Guy Gardener

Doesn't the Falcon make a superb bad Guy?

I read his solo book which was an 8 out of 10, biding my time till I try out Captain America and the Avengers.

Would it be so confusing to the kindergarteners if Falcon became Captain America and Thor grew boobs in the the animated Avengers Assemble at the moment?

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanted to like the Spider-Man daily comic strip in Spider-Verse #1. I really did. But, it's not batshit insane enough to hold a candle to Stan Lee's Spider-Man daily comic strip. If Aunt May were dating Morlun, Peter decided to give up being Spider-Man because he didn't stop a gang of bike thieves in Queens, and the story stopped midway through for a recap of Spidey's origin, then it would have been batshit insane enough for the daily Spider-Man strip.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The new issues of Avengers and New Avengers jumping into the future have been amazing. I was complaining how the arc before this was a complete waste of time, but now everything is coming together in a brilliant way and I'm dying to see how this crisis on infinite earths will be resolved.

For some reason, Dodson's gorgeous art in Axis #5 took a complete nose dose in #6. Different inker?

20. Captain Craig

I flipped through the newAvengers World on the stand(not recalling the # right now).
    I was intrigued by a team of: 3-D Man, Valkyrie, Elsa Bloodstone, Stingray...not sure who else but I almost picked it up but wasn't sure it was the start of an arc.