So I finally found the Bluray sales for ST09..wow..

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Sep 3, 2013.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I knew they were good, but ST09's DVD sales were so high I didn't expect them to be THIS good. It is the 3rd best selling bluray in the United States ever. It has sold 3,878,678 units on bluray for and additional $84,732,687 to ST09's $102 milion from DVD. I originally speculated it was in the $30-40 million range...I was way off. So from just BO gross and DVD-Bluray, ST09 has made $594 million in adjusted dollars. I'm thinking STID will probably do as well.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More than double the amount sold for Star Wars? A lot of fans have refused to buy that because it doesn't have the originals. I imagine STID will not be as successful as ST'09 in light of Paramount/Bad Robot's latest tactics.

Also, there's a caveat to that list. It only captures sales from July 2009 onward. It's missing the first 7 months of sales for The Dark Knight, yet it's at 2.6 million. That's probably the true #1, making Star Trek #4.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If STID is not as successful it won't be because of that. People at large are buying the DVD/Blu-Ray to watch the film, not because they are dying to see the Behind-the-Scenes look at Benedict Cumberbatch's hairdo.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Won't it be more than US$594m that when you factor in. Global blu-ray sales. Not to mention DVD sales?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Does that account for digital sales?

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Very impressive.

You can't put a negative spin on that, it is a great achievement by Star Trek :)

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It appears to be Blu-ray sales only.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Ah, but did the movie turn a profit? :p

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Nope and neither will Into Darkness. Rick Berman is sitting by his phone, waiting for the call to swoop in and save the day! :guffaw:

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is this a joke or am I missing something? According to this both ST09 and STID approximately doubled their budget in the box office (not including DVD/BR sales). Granted this doesn't take into account the marketing budget or the theater/distributor cuts of the box office, but it would appear they would still made money. Admittedly, the profit margin is likely less than the other movies (with the exception of Nemesis), but I would hardly say the last two films were unsuccessful.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a joke, Cupcake :)

12. BillJ

It was a joke.

But it's okay, sometimes the jokes here whoosh right over my head as well. :techman:

13. trekker670

I figured as much, but I've heard others mention on other sites that STID was a failure, both in terms of content and budget, often stating the the bluray sales need to be good in order for the studio to break even.

When I looked at the numbers, I was quite surprised that most of the Trek films tripled their budgets, whereas the last two barely doubled.

14. BillJ

From a money standpoint, the film did under-perform (I think it comes down to a very poor marketing effort). But if you go to a site like Rotten Tomatoes, you'll see that it was a critical success and liked by the vast majority of those who voted (around 250,000 people last I checked).

As far as doubling- or tripling- the budget, it is just a different economic model now. If you play in the summer you're going to go up against many other big-budget, high profile films and the time you're spending in the theaters continues to shrink. Star Trek Into Darkness was preceded two weeks earlier by Iron Man 3 and had Fast and Furious 6 release a week later.

Crowded box-office plus poor marketing equals a film that didn't do as well at the cinema as it should have. At least in my opinion.

15. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not in the slightest.

16. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

What's the deal with theater/distributor cuts? I heard they don't get much, and rely on snack sales, but you'd think it's still a significant cost. While supposedly the marketing budgets can be close to the size of production budgets. Yet doubling the production budget is considered a financial success? Sounds like in a way blockbusters are made for dvd lol.

Of course some get closer to tripling the production budget (I thought the new Treks did this), or more.

17. trekker670

This article explains the theater's cut of the ticket sales: http://themovieblog.com/2007/econom...e-the-money-goes-and-why-it-costs-us-so-much/

In short, the amount varies by movie and how long the movie has been out.

If you look at the link I posted previously, it shows the production budget and box office sales for each movie.

18. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Those numbers are pretty remarkable. You would think that the studios would be broadcasting those numbers as much as they do the box office totals every week. Is there somewhere on the net that collectively discusses actual Blu-ray/DVD sales?

19. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

You do get some mention of those numbers if you own stock in the parent company of whichever studio, but it's almost like the trades forget a movie ever existed once it leaves theaters.

20. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

Well, perhaps about that much (saying nothing about content):

Summer 2013: Winners and Losers (Box Office Mojo)