AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The cool thing about that is (from what I've heard) a good amount of the 30-40 or so minutes that Joss left on the cutting room floor is all about Cap, and even without that he still beats everyone else in terms of screen time.

3. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ Cap may not be my favourite Avenger, but I have to admit that Evans really sells the role, giving a performance that's remarkably believable and three-dimensional. Kind of what Cap himself has to do, given his uniform.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm not all that surprised. The prominence of Black Widow seemed about right (her character was a pleasant surprise). I'm actually surprised the early scenes with Hawkeye, plus his scenes under mind control didn't help push his time a bit more. I think it shows that it's hard to use his character right. I would love a Black Widow and Hawkeye movie, though.

It felt like Captain America took awhile to get introduced, but he was significant after that (I can't think of a scene where he wasn't in).

5. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I`m really suprised how much I liked Cap here, he's far from being my favourite character, but Evans was brilliant and the character really grew on me. (It may also be the fish out of water aspect which gave him an additional layer.)

6. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice find! :techman:
    Seeing their tallies it doesn't surprise me about BW's solo screen moments. She feels very central to the story.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Doesn't seem that surprising, actually. Good find, though. I do wonder where Nick Fury would rate among them in terms of screen time, though.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Saw it again, this time in 3-D. More gut reactions:

- 3-D doesn't add a thing. Mind you, it doesn't subtract anything either. It's just not automatically better than 2-D. The movie rocks either way.

- You guys who didn't like the music score: This time I paid more attention. To use a Whedonism, "I just can't bring myself to care." Granted, Alan Silvestri is not John Williams. In a movie this packed with action and eye candy, he doesn't need to be.

- You guys who think Cobie Smulders was hotter than Scarlett Johanssen: Cobie's still flat and still boring and you are hereby ordered to turn in your Manhood ID cards and censure yourselves for even entertaining the thought that she could be hotter than Scarjo. There's about two hours of obvious on-screen evidence that she's not.

- Loki versus Hulk is still funny.

- The Avengers is still an A+.

10. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got back from it. Pretty good overall but nope, still doesn't beat X-Men 2 as my all-time favorite superhero movie! Glad I took the time to rent Thor this week (the only "set-up" movie I still hadn't seen) because while it's a mediocre movie, it's definitely required viewing for this one. I'd say probably the only one that isn't is The Incredible Hulk.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I also just watched Thor for the first time. I liked it although I don't think it's awesome. It certainly feels like a comic book come to life, but in a good way. And, yes, it does give you some decent backstory to the character.

I did like Thor's character arc from selfish puts to worthy hero.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reaction shots of Foster and Co. on Earth during the Dethbridge scene were insultingly stupid.

What were they supposed to be looking at, considering that the Bifrost wasn't aimed at them?

And yet all of a sudden there's this giant vortex of doom we can see, which defeats their "discovery" since people should see that damn thing whenever Odin has The Warriors Three go for a pizza run. This seriously pisses me off, as every problem I had up to this point was more a matter of taste rather than substance. This was a matter of Michael Bay's nephew ghost writing.

"Durr. Annd when Hammerman and Goat-Boy fight in the LAzor derr should be an EXPROSION on Earf!"

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, how do people feel about TIH now? It does definitely feel like the odd one out of the 5 preceding movies. And not just because of the actor change

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think what the Avengers-era movies have shown is that they should just concentrate on making solid films with sensible interpretations that don't go too far off the reservation.

I think too often they try to unnecessarily come up with thing to make the characters work on the big screen. Thing is, audiences get comic book conventions and won't go run screaming from helicarriers, Asgard and aliens running through a portal. They don't necessarily need a Superman with illegitimate children, Hulks with daddy issues, whatever the hell Catwoman was, organic web shooters and so on.

The Dark Knight is the #3 movie ever so it's not like DC can't get on track.

EDIT: Crap, I posted this in the wrong thread! Sorry... :(

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, we see at the end that they're commanded by Thanos. Generally, Thanos doesn't care who gets killed, just so long as a lot of people die. He's in love with Mistress Death and getting a fuckton of people killed is the equivalent of sending her a box of flowers.

He's the sort of guy who will indiscriminately exterminate half of all life in the universe just to impress a girl.

The most obvious thing is that he was just going through the motions so that he could get the Cosmic Cube from Loki, and possibly get a shot at the Infinity Gauntlet (if he knows that the Asgardians have it).

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's certainly feels the least essential, though it's superior as a film to Iron Man 2, one of the films that feels more connected.

The Marvel Studios films would fall into tiers for me:

Great: Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers

Very Good: Thor

Good: The Incredible Hulk

Mediocre-at-best: Iron Man 2

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it does simply in terms of the colour em.. palate? (is that the word I'm looking for?) I keep taking my glasses off and the film is much brighter and the costumes have much more POP without that filter between you and it - the actual 3D was fine however.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it a second time and I loved it almost as much as the first. :techman:

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen it in a while, but my initial reaction was positive, and I'd probably still feel the same way. I suspect that it doesn't have the same sense of humor that most of the other Marvel movies have -- I recall it being pretty serious with occasional comedic moments -- which might make it the odd one out of the lot (although I still haven't seen Thor).

20. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

You're right, it is the most serious of the series which IMO is only fitting, considering that Banner's story is kinda the most tragic of all of them. In that way it is the odd one out, but I think it fits his character and I like it a lot.