[Ferengi] Rom, Grand Nagus???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by AlanAlias, May 29, 2015.

1. AlanAlias

AlanAlias Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[Ferengi] Rom Grand Nagus???

"This is insane. You actually want Rom to be Nagus?"- Quark

Don't get me wrong,

I really like Rom but I don't see him being the Grand Nagus.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Quark would make a perfect Nagus, if he wasn't so "Quarky".

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Rom will ultimately reform Ferenginar to a more fair society. Rom was a hard worker and understands what it's like from the small guy's point of view so he can better appreciate the value of a bar of latinum. Plus, he's smart, so he'd be able to provide any tech needed for the transition (replicating replicators?).

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plus, Rom is not the cheating kind; it would be in the Ferengi's best interest to be more like him, because if word got out that Ferengi always cheat, nobody will want to do business with them, and the Ferengi value good customers.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wasn't a fan of making Rom the Nagus at the end.

Rom has good intentions but he doesn't have the political knowhow to competently enact those intentions, especially when all the richest men on Ferenginar would be against his reforms. He probably ended up hanging from the Ferengi Tower of Commerce.

I like to think that smarter men were really still running things behind the scenes, and Rom was named Nagus to repair their national credibility because he's the one member of their race the Federation finds completely trustworthy.

5. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

This didn't set well with me either. Basically I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of the very politically incorrect misogynistic Ferengi in comparison to the respect for women and treating them fairly of the Federation.

In short they just turned the Ferengi Alliance into another humanocentric Federation.

That didn't really upset me, but it still didn't sit right for me.

6. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, he is smart. From Quark's point of view he is still his idiot brother. I'd like to see more of Rom and Leeta in the litverse. Leeta is a kind of First Lady. From Dabo Girl to First Lady. A huge step.

7. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

I loved the Ferengi episodes of DS9. They took a lame TNG "comic threat" and fleshed them out well, though they were still comical. But I thought making Rom the Nagus was a mistake, as were the reforms Zek made prior to his retirement. I can see why the writers chose to do so, but it felt like such a let down and a cheat. Completely undermined the concept of the species. It would be like making the Klingons pacifists.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate that Rom is Grand Nagus. I hope he gets almost assassinated and quits.

9. JirinPanthosa

I liked the idea of the Ferengi starting to move in the direction of being more egalitarian and liberal, but in the show it happened unbelievably fast.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they could have done it better with how things transitioned but Rom wasn't the worst choice. He is on Starfleet's good side, with his contributions in mining the wormhole. He'd be the best to end the negative mindset about the Ferengi.

11. JirinPanthosa

Rom was the perfect choice to serve the same role as the Queen of England. To be the symbol of the planet, but not responsible for the important decisions. That's why I like to think that's what really happened when Rom became Nagus.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of England, it would be accurate to describe her as Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland (or Queen of the UK for short). She also serves as Head of state of 16 other countries as well as being Head of the Commonwealth of Nations

13. K'Toska

K'Toska Commander Red Shirt

I love Rom, but Rom is a terrible Ferengi. Maybe that's why I enjoy him so much.

14. JirinPanthosa

Thank you for correcting my statement, but the comparison I'm making is that like Queen Elizabeth II, Rom would make a great head of state and very poor head of government.

A British friend of mine once told me, defending the idea of having a Queen who doesn't have legislative power, that when the American government messes up, people hate the President and therefore the country. But when the British government messes up, people hate the PM but still love the Queen, and therefore still love the country. Rom is perfect for that role.

15. Hawkeye_90

Hawkeye_90 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think it was a mistake to make Rom the Nagus. It is not who the people are. Quark would have been a better choice. I think its hard to say that Quark did not have a moral side. I also think it would work to have Rom Nagus only if they specifically flushed him out as a figure head. I was never a fan of what they did with Rom's mother at the end of the show.

16. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I honestly don't think Rom is an idiot. Yes, he is socially awkward at times and doesn't always make the best decisions, but with the way he handled the situation with the mines blocking the entrance to the wormhole was brilliant. That was his only redeeming factor in my opinion. But overall, I too agree that he was not the right choice to become Nagus. I could only imagine the next day after his new position many Ferengi would try and manipulate him just to get his throne.

17. Shada Dukal

Shada Dukal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Rom has both weak and strong points as a Grand Nagus. His assets include a culturally varied exposure and a cosmopolitan attitude (a son in Starfleet and an alien wife). He also has a first-hand experience with the life and plights that the underprivileged part of the Ferengi society has to face.

However, he lacks Quark and Zek’s intelligence and maneuverability, he is not very assertive and lacks Quark’s grittiness and quick decision-making so he is likely to encounter a lot of opposition concerning the reforms he plans to carry out. The big business lobbies would probably give him a hard time over his plans to implement social deductions and pension schemes. The decision to give rights to the Ferengi females was introduced by Zek and it created a new market niche so the business circles would rather make a full use of it than opposing it. Still, imposing taxes and deductions diminishes the profits so Rom is not going to get away with this.

I don’t think that he is economically versed enough to secure the long-term prosperity of his world, he has never been able to start even his own small business, he worked for his brother and was an employee on DS9. So he will need solid business advisers and one never knows whose interests these advisers would represent.

18. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if Ishka supports Rom secretly.....