FIFA corruption arrests

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, May 27, 2015.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

From last weekend's broadcast:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q[/yt]

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

France voted for Blatter.

Words fail me.

4. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

If you've ever checked out the anti-Olympic organization's websites, you'll find that having them in bigger, wealthier nations isn't great for the citizens of those countries, either: cities that host the Olympics usually have a ton of issues related to homelessness, poverty, policing of vulnerable people (ill-treatment of the homeless and mentally ill), etc. Many consider the Olympics disruptive to host cities of the host nations, and that the money spent on things like this could be spent directly on the poor and vulnerable. The big objection to the Olympics and the World Cup is to the pro-corporate globalization, which sees the corporate nature of the Games/WC – in the form of the IOC/FIFA and its global sponsors - as elitist and fundamentally flawed.

Olympics

No One Is Illegal – Vancouver » Anti Olympics

No Games Chicago

Winner’s Curse? The Economics of Hosting the Olympic Games

Will the Olympics get the economy growing again? Don’t bank on it.

Olympic Resistance Network | Vancouver Media Co-op

World Cup

Anti-World Cup protests across Brazil

Striking Images of Brazil’s Anti-World Cup Protest Movement

Why Are Brazilians Protesting the World Cup?

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

F*** you Blatter !

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I wonder what they've got on him ?

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Does seem strange just after comfortably winning reelection...

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Smacks suspiciously of damage limitation.

'Sepp arrested ? Ah, but he's already resigned. We need to move forward...'

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

They owed him one after FIFA screwed Ireland over in favor of France in the qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well he's not going immediately he'll stay in post until next year!

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well he had to go, whilst he might not have been involved any suspected wrong doing, suspected wrong doing happened under his watch and the fact tha there have been arrests seems to suggest enough evidence to amke them we'll have to wait an dsee if they are any prosecutions and convictions. But in order to rebuild confidence in FIFA he had to go.

11. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Because Europeans have done such a great job so far?
    Inside FIFA? :devil:

Or do you mean UEFA that's being run oh-so-well. Remind me... how is Michel Platini's son making a shitload of money from his involvement with the Qatar World Cup again?

UEFA isn't as much of a mess as FIFA is but let's not kid ourselves.

12. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Laurent Platini works for a French based Qatar company. He has nothing to do with the Qatar World Cup bid and certainly hasn't made any moment from it. Unless you know something I don't

One corrupt institution at a time love

If the little ones see the big one brought down, the little ones might pull their socks up

Figo ftw

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  13. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Laurent Platini has been working for Qatar Sports Investment since early 2011. The World Cup was given to Qatar in December 2010. Qatar Sports Investment is owned by Qatar's state fund Qatar Investment Authority so it's not just a random France-based Qatar company.
    Qatar's world cup bid was headed by the son of the Emir of Qatar and backed by... you guessed it... the Qatar Investment Authority.

Whether or not that's a coincidence is anybody's guess but I do see a little conflict of interest there. Platini lobbying to take away the WC from Qatar might threaten his son's position in a company that is directly owned by the exact same people who are running that WC.

Do I know you?
    Just wondering because calling a random person "love" in a conversation seems a bit dismissive. We're two adults who hardly know each other debating FIFA on the internet.

Don't call me baby.
    Obama and "sweetie".

It's not a big deal but it's such a lame old habit by men who are trying to be dismissive of a woman's opinion in a debate.
    Maybe you didn't mean it that way but I also think you wouldn't have used it when talking to a guy and I figured I'd tell you that it comes across as patronising in a debate between strangers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  14. hux

Conflict of interest and "on the payroll of the corrupt" are different things. Middle East money has it's fingers in a lot of European football pie. We should be careful not to conflate moneyed middle eastern companies with corruption.

English turn of phrase (and very common) generally not said between men but pretty much every other gender configuration

15. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. It's deliberately condescending, in England as it is everywhere else.

16. hux

Bought a sandwich today. The woman handed it to me and said....."there you go love"

Fortunately, i somehow managed to keep a lid on my anger and sense of injustice

It was a close call though

17. Pingfah

It's all about context. You don't appear to be stupid or ignorant of the world, so I'll assume you're not so blind to convention as to fail to understand how it would be taken when speaking to somebody like Emilia in a context such as your discussion.

Or maybe you are. I dunno.

18. hux

Yes, and I said it in a context of affection and good will just as the woman at the shop said it to me. Are you under the impression she was dissing me?

If that's the case, I'll have words with her, the cow. How dare she. Something must be done about this.

Nice :)

Funny how "love" can be so controversial yet stupid and ignorant, not so much

19. Pingfah

There would be little point arguing about it, you left yourself an out for exactly this conversation. Your meaning was clear, despite your protests.

20. hux

Whatever you say, love :p