Was Neelix bordering being a stalker?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Neutral Zone, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

I've been watching season 2 of Voyager and noticed Neelix's big jealousy streak. There were times when he appeareded to be following Kes.

So, apart from the love-sick jealous puppy was he also becoming a stalker?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neelix was overprotective, yes. But he wasn't a stalker. If he was, he'd have hounded Kes even after she dumped him.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He definitely hit creepy zone with the jealousy.

I think his romantic arc was that he rescued Kes and now they would live happily ever after with himself as the savior of the girl who needed protecting. But then he begins to see that this is not the romantic story arc that she is experiencing at all.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So we're talking about twisted and Paturation?

Tom wanted to fill her with his little babies.

Neelix was with in his rights to stalk Tom waiting for him to be an asshole, but he was supposed to trust Kes to repulse Tom because she valued their relationship.

But there was no reason for Neelix to be worried/upset that kes knew wher the aked firedancer slept.

Neelix thought that she was the town bike.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Neelix a stalker? I think that scene where he's hiding outside the holodeck when Tom and Kes are doing a shuttle simulation about sums it up.

He get's over protective just about every time someone of the male sex speaks with her and that's pretty much what caused her to dump him. Sure it took an alien influence to do it, but she didn't go back on it when she regained herself.

6. Guy Gardener

Is stalking really the right word since it was his job to look after her as much as it was her job to look after him?

Is he stalking her when they're making out?

Or is he only stalking her when she is unaware of where he is?

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Season 2 Neelix was EXTREMELY unlikeable when it came to the way he was about Kes. I have no idea why they took it as far as they did. He's just a dick in "parturition."

8. teacake

It's stalking like a possessive boyfriend is stalking by being aware of all the female's interactions. Monitoring might be a better word.

9. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was he "monitoring" when he attacked Tom Paris because he thought Tom wanted put the movies on Kes in Parturition? Doesn't that seem like actions of an extremely dangerous stalker, attack or threaten people who are romantic rivals, so your girlfriend doesn't stray?

10. teacake

Okay it's stalking.

Neelix is a possible pedophile (why has this not come up in this thread yet, is the forum broke??), a crazed obsessive who will resort to violence to control what is his. He's got Kes on the Madonna pedestal and he'll do what he has to, even KILL, to keep her there. He's desperate, he's hairy and he's losing her to much more normal people. He should have left her with the Kazon because then he would always look like the good one, now that he has to compete with Tom and other suave aliens he is back to being a dumpster diver in space.

11. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now you are just being facetious.

Just because Neelix doesn't fit that Straw Loser description you gave him there, doesn't the mean the character didn't engage in some pretty unseemly behavior in season 2 in regards to Kes and Tom. Was it okay for Neelix to go and assault Tom in Parturition? How is attacking Tom because he thought he might be making the movies on Kes, not extremely possessive?

12. teacake

I wasn't being facetious at all. I really do think he started out as a dumpster diver in space but took on the persona of noble manly hero when he rescued Kes. Probably his first time ever playing that role, so quite an ego boost. Add in that he was living in luxury on Voyager and he just won the lottery. That was a lot he had to lose and you see him get quite nasty about it, possibly reverting to survival mode that he was in while living through war. Maybe it was all PTSD.

13. Guy Gardener

He was very vocal about what an idiot he thought the Captain was in the beginning.

14. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In Twisted he was asking Chakotay if it was normal to feel jealous. So i'm assuming he'd never been in a relationship before Kes. Maybe it wasn't as much stalking as delusional ideas of what a relationship is.

15. teacake

Really it was quite the high school drama. FINALLY a girlfriend and then she is making eyes at the guy with the fast car.

16. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wonder if Voyager has High School AU fanfic...

17. Guy Gardener

Chicks dig the car.

There have been many adventures set during the academy in the sanctioned novels, but in the mirror universe Earth is just endless tenements of kennels.

No Starfleet, no Starfleet Academy.

[​IMG]

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kes was just friendly, there was really no indication she had ANY interest in Tom beyond that random future episode where they got married. She told Neelix she wanted to have his baby. That's a big deal for Ocampa being they can only have kids once. And that wasn't good enough, it didn't stop his obsessive behavior.

Sure the space dumpster driver is probably the most exciting man Kes had ever met. Of course all she had were other Ocampa who eat paste from dispensers and watch videos of the sunrise all day, and the Kazon who can't even figure out how to get water.

Ocampa are also said to mate for life. So it's really telling when Kes didn't backtrack on her possessed self dumping Neelix. She might have needed a nudge, but she realized after the fact was done it was the right decision.

19. Guy Gardener

Kes' dad died when her mother was 4 and Kes was one.

So unless there was some horrible accident, or their love was forbidden, males become fertile at 7 or 8, shag, raise the baby then die, meanwhile the mother, all the widows, the women, have 4 to 5 years of their life left to do what exactly?

It's pretty damn easy to mate for life when one of you only has a year left to live.

Kes stayed with Neelix for three times longer than most any Ocampan woman had stayed with her "husband" before ever.

20. teacake

No wonder she was sick of him. Triple the average time that a first marriage that ends in divorce lasts and that's her experience with Neelix during the show.