How long till a Pint costs 5 pounds?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the first episode of Battlefield the other day. And the doctor told Ace cryptically that they were in the Future when when she guffawed that he landlord asked her for five pounds to pay for a pint. now this would normally slip by me as nonsense but later the brigadier mentions that there is a King on the Throne of great Britain...

Gotta wonder if it's Harry or the pretty one, or if it all happened sideways in time, that that adventure can';t have possibly happened in modern day after Lizzy steps down...

How much is a pint?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Linky

Scroll down for prices.

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

you brits and your silly pints, come to america, where you get lager by the Keg

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Keg? What is "Keg"? I've never in my life heard of such a thing.....

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I thought kegs were only drank by 16 year olds in teen comedys?

Anyway a British pint is probably stronger than an entire Keg of american brew... :lol:

7. Guy Gardener

I love English beer, and German beer... It's usually stronger than wine.

Right, so we're half way there, which means that the same yoyo weight problems that we attributed to Vir from Filming baylon 5 out of sequence will apply to Alistair Lethbridge Stuart, since right now he's 20 years older than then and grown an according amount, not that there's anything wrong with that.

When did he marry Doris?

Maybe she made him lose weight?

The love of a good woman is incentive and the medicine for this issue. :)

8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, a keg of thin pisswater vs a lovely pint of proper ale.

I'll take the pint, thanks.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^There's probably more alcohol in the pint to begin with.

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    The only problem is, American beer tastes like water with calories. No thanks. :rolleyes:

But how much goes into a "keg"?

11. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whatever happened to "a pint's a pound the world around"?

Oh, wait, that's about something else, isn't it? :)

And, of course, everyone knows why American beer is served cold -- so you can tell it from piss.

And why American beer is like making love in a boat -- because it's f**king close to water.

:lol:

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Three ways to explain the 'I don't care if it's the king' line:
    1) It's just an expression - like 'I don't care if it's the queen of Sheba'.
    2) Lethbridge-Stewart is old enough to have grown up under a king (he'd maybe have been in his late 20s when George VI died), and as people get on they sometimes tend to fall back into habits and phrases from youth.
    3) Or if you go for the books, one of them establishes this as an explanation: Elizabeth II abdicated in favour of her son, but was then restored to the throne when he abdicated in turn (possibly Memory Games or Millenial Rites - or maybe both!).

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

15 1/2 gallons.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Head Games had Queen Elizabeth II still on the throne in 2001, despite the novels hammering Battlefield down in the late 1990s or so, with its king. Happy Endings, on the other hand, had Charles on the throne at the turn of the millennium.

Because of this, Christmas on a Rational Planet threw in a mention of a "re-coronation" of Elizabeth II. Lance Parkin noticed the mention, but didn't realize what it was retconning, and provided a different explanation for why Elizabeth II would need to be re-coronated in The Dying Days.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  15. Guy Gardener

One of the better lines from Buffy by Xander... "HAAHAHAHAHAH! Sorry, I just remembered something funny from King Ralph."

Lear was back in charge for about 5 seconds after his eldest daughters killed each other and Cordelia met her unpleasant fate and... O, Lear died too. Who the heck was in charge when the dust settled again?

Edgar?

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

More flavor, but not really alcohol (assuming we're talking about something like Miller or Coors, not Yuengling, Sam Adams, or Dogfish Head). Honestly, abv wasn't that different off the tap in a pub than it is in a can of even the shittiest American beer.

17. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

It always made me laugh on Cheers when Norm would down a small glass of beer and everyone thought he was a hard core drinker!

Re: 5pounds for a pint - wasn't it a lemonade and some water (may have misremeberd this but The Dotor didn't drink and Ace was underage)

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I recall something I think Alistair Campbell said regarding he and George W Bush discussing their respective alcoholic pasts. Anyway they got around to discussing war stories and how much they used to drink...Campbell was somehwhat surprised at how little Dubya actually drank.

19. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a pint.

Vodka and Coke (!!! yes!), glass of lemonade and a glass of water.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  20. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too true! The wife and I took a trip over around four years ago (my first trip to the UK). The first night I had a pint of Guiness I was stunned at how quickly I got a buzz, compared to the normal thin, domestic stuff over here. It was a goooood night! :lol: :techman: