TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Pangaeus

Pangaeus Cadet Newbie

Hi all, Longtime ST fan, but just found the forum. My favorite is ST:TNG, but overall I enjoy anything from the 24th century. As a kid, Deanna was my favorite, but I realized her character as written was somewhat cringe-worthy when I became older. Go women of ST- Beverly also rocks!

DeannaTroi likes this.
  2. JRShinkansenHorse

JRShinkansenHorse Cadet Newbie

Hello. I'm JRShinkansenHorse, but I'm sometimes known as Sanya Hikari. I like Picard, Q, Discord (Q's My Little Pony counterpart), Sunset Shimmer (Also from MLP and Equestria Girls; I plan to start a fanfiction series soon about a large and fast Federation starship named after her), Kirk, Archer, and anything else.

3. topazdemon

topazdemon Ensign Red Shirt

TNG is the only Star Trek series I am really familiar with. We didn't have cable growing up so Saturday nights was Star Trek and Seaquest.

4. Elephant999

Elephant999 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi,
    I am often on here and really enjoy reading the posts.

I, too, am passionate about ST:TNG. I started watching it when it was originally aired and have rewatched many, many times. I will often randomly select an episode or 5 on Netflix on an evening.

I love Picard as he is a complex individual but portrayed amazingly by Patrick Stewart. BOBW is my favourite couple of episodes as I think the cast act their socks off.

I wasn’t keen on S1 but some episodes I really enjoy, others such as Justice, hmmmm...

Troi annoys me the most with her woolly empathic abilities at times, although I think she improved as the series evolved.

When I watch TNG, if it’s a Geordi episode, my husband rolls his eyes due to the shouty nature of his character.

I am also a big DS9 fan and alternate between the 2, although TNG is the better series, by a small margin though IMHO.

Kilana2 likes this.
  5. Ricky

Ricky Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not sure TNG will ever be my favourite.

When it's bad it's very bad but it isn't bad that often.

When it's good it's very good and it's often very good.

I'm not sure Star Trek can ever bottle lightning for a third time though in creating a ship and crew that create the same kind of zeitgeist the original one did. To the extent that I can close my eyes and 'hear' the sounds of instruments or the background noise of the Enterprise D's bridge. It's very much a 'new' Star Trek that creates it's own mythology quite quickly in things like Q, the Ferengi and the Borg whilst still referencing and respecting the original show.

I'm not sure TNG will ever be my favourite but I think the fact that the upcoming Picard show is so welcomed proves that in Star Trek terms TNG is a legend.

So what I mean is, I like TNG too.

6. CaptainPicard999

CaptainPicard999 Cadet Newbie

- everyone

Hey, I saw the thread and decided to write some stuff, so you asked what our favorite characters and topics to discuss about TNG so my favorite character is Captain Picard and my favorite topic to discuss is how time travel occurs in the Star Trek universe
    Sweet

-CaptainPicard999

XCV330 likes this.
  7. RikersMailBox

RikersMailBox Cadet Newbie

Hello All, I'm new here and I'm a huge TNG fan. It's my favourite thing of all time. I appreciate some of the other Star Trek shows of course but nothing compares to TNG for me. Always tough to pick my favourite episodes because there are so many I love. But if I had to pick a couple right now that best show the types of TNG stories I like I would say, The Survivors and Cause and Effect. All the TNG characters are my favourite, they really are. In terms of Star Trek movies my favourites are Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and First Contact of course. I'm also into collecting the TNG figures and have all the Diamond Select ones and almost all the Playmates now including all the rare ones like Data Redemption(Canadian and US versions), Beverley Crusher Target Exclusive International Edition. I don't have the rare Picard and Tasha 1701 but have the 1701 Collectors set and since all the figures were the same that's all I care about at this point. Have all my figures displayed in a cabinet(not a box collector and only have the rare ones still in box) and could post some photos at some point if anyone was interested. Is there a thread for Star Trek action figures/toy collectors here? Also into collecting limited edition movie screen prints and have some Star Trek ones like Wrath of Khan Tyler Stout, Space Seed Martin Ansin and Iborg Jesse Phillips. Is there a thread for that kind of stuff as well? Anyways, just wanted to say hello and look forward to discussing Star Trek with you all.

8. B. L.

B. L. Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello,

I am 37 years old, married, and I have two kids. I work in an office 9-5 and pay my mortgage. Mow my lawn on Saturdays. That type of thing.

TNG is definitely my favorite, although DS9 is great too. Honestly they're great for different reasons. Both have great characters, but DS9 excels at overall story arcs whereas TNG excels at self-contained episode plots. That said, I find it easier to just throw on a TNG episode because I don't need to remember what was going on during that part of the show.

My favorite character is definitely Worf. This is because, much like O'Brien, he is very relatable. He's imperfect, he's impulsive, his temper can get the best of him, and he screws up a lot. Remember that time when his improved guidance system failed in front of his boss? The one he was super proud of? Yeah, I think we've all been there. Remember that time he got tricked into following Admiral Sati? But realized how lost he was? I think we've all been there too.

Picard is cool too, don't get me wrong, but I find the imperfect characters to me bore intriguing.

FuShad0w, Zander and DeannaTroi like this.
  9. Jellico

Jellico Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi,

I think I was on this forum some years ago and lost track. I’m back. I have to say I like TNG is my favorite. DS9 is a close second. I’m trying to get my wife to do a re watch of the series.
    ‘Anyway, we’re watching Discovery as well.

I think that the prime universe, as opposed to the Kelvin (spelling) is something worth preserving.

Hello to all.

DeannaTroi likes this.
  10. Joe Baucum

Joe Baucum Cadet Newbie

HI All!
    Huge Trekkie, but just found this forum. Raised watching reruns of TOS, and have watched TNG over and over throughout my life! Love it! Also love Enterprise and Voyager. Oddly, I never watched all of DS9. Just started watching it lately and am really enjoying it. Wish there were episodes of TNG I hadn't seen so that I could watch them for the first time today! Love the whole crew and the shows attention to scientific detail (most of the time).

So glad to find this forum, and looking forward to the discussions!

11. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Vice Admiral Premium Member

There is a TNG-thon on BBC America beginning at midnight tonight Chicago time. Continues until 5:00 p.m.

DeannaTroi likes this.
  12. Lt Commander Minion

Lt Commander Minion Cadet Newbie

Just joined, better late than never you might say :) So here we go, as many before me have said... I grew up with TNG and in part the last couple of Star Trek movies with the original cast. Though the characters in TNG were far more engaging. I recently went down with the flu, and through NetFlix went binge-watching TNG seasons 1 and 2, been easying now thru season 3.

Amazing to see how the characters interact with their voices and the main "Computer" similar; to what we do today thru Alexa or Google. How all computer displays where voice or touch screen command. The writers figure this out in the late 80s!

Anyhow, good to be around.

That'll be all, for now :)

DeannaTroi likes this.
  13. Zander

Zander Ensign Red Shirt

Hi all! So glad to have found this forum. So I grew up with TOS reruns and then this shiny new thing called "The Next Generation" came out which I was totally wowed by as a kid! I've always loved Star Trek but have gotten into it big time the last few years since my life got more stressful - ST has become my go-to happy place :lol:. TNG is my second favorite of the shows but no way can I pick a favorite character or episode - I like the uniqueness each character brings to the show and no matter how bad the special effects are or how silly the plot, I enjoy every episode - yes, even Sub Rosa :hugegrin:

14. GeminaLuna

GeminaLuna Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone. First post for me here on Trek BBS.

While I've been a trekkie ever since I can remember, I have never really dived DEEP into the Star Trek universe. I only saw a couple of episodes of TNG and Voyager and I saw a movie once but I can't remember it's name.

I just recently started watching TNG chronologically - I really love the humor, personalities and stories of this particular Star Trek series. I plan to watch them all though, but that will take some time :P
    By now I'm at S3E9 on Netflix. I do feel like they changed something in this third season - did they add/cut some writers maybe?
    So far I like the first two seasons most.

Favorite characters - ofcourse Data (I think he's everyones favorite am I right? :P ) and for me Worf is my second favorite.
    I just love how his character develops - the inner tuggowar between being a fierce and stubborn Klingon or being an honorable and goodhearted human. I really liked the episode where he meets an old Klingon flame and tries to marry her.

My favorite episode so far is A Measure of A Man - Oh Data <3

15. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

Hi, GeminaLuna! Welcome to the boards!

16. worf1965

worf1965 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've posted a few times in the TNG forums but never stopped here. I grew up with late night reruns of TOS and watched all TOS movies at the cinema but fully got into Star Trek with TNG. I LOVE this show. I have watched it from beginning to end 3 times. I am on number 4 now as I am watching every series that way now, one after another. This is the show that is my comfort viewing. I know that whatever crappy day I may be having these characters make it go away, especially Picard with his wisdom and good sense and Worf with his true sense of honor. My girlfriend sometimes has to remind me this is fiction because I feel like I know these characters like old friends that have been there for you for decades. I love all the Trek series, except Discovery, but TNG will always be the one closest to my heart.

17. May 20

Welcome!

You are not alone - Trek is definitely comfort viewing for me, too.

Qonundrum likes this.
  18. candiecloud

candiecloud Cadet Newbie

Hi Everyone, I’m candiecloud.

I’m six days into watching Star Trek. Prior to this I hadn’t seen more than a few minutes of any episode of any Star Trek. (And that’s probably being generous.) For whatever reason I just had no interest. But then again, I never really took the time to check it out.

As for why I chose to randomly jump into Season 3 of Star Trek: The Next Generation… I’m not sure I’ll ever know. It was a total whim. But right away I could see how well the show was written and acted, and so I kept watching.

I’d say I was pretty much hooked right away, but everything changed once I hit Episode 15: Yesterday’s Enterprise. Absolutely stunning to meet the war-weary, battle-hardened and “singular” Picard after only knowing him as an amiable and optimistic leader who readily took advice and council from his crew. It was just so jarring to see the toll that a failing 20-year campaign had taken on such a warm, peace-loving leader.

Then right after that came Episode 16: The Offspring. How can a relationship between androids be so poignant?! Well, without a doubt this episode answers that question. It was thrilling to watch an episode that tackled questions we’re dealing with today without seeming the least bit dated. Also, that Admiral Haftel… there’s a few choice words I have for that guy.

Now I’m in the midst of Episode 17: Sins of the Father. When Lieutenant Worf asks Picard to be his cha’DIch and Picard accepts *in Klingon*… I got chills. The mutual respect, their dedication to each another… the whole thing just keeps getting better and better.

I have to run. I’m off to finish Episode 17, so I’ll just finish my post by saying that I’ve loved discovering Star Trek: The Next Generation without any prior knowledge of its characters or plot-lines. I’ve gone in about as blind as one could in this day and age, and for that I feel pretty lucky.

I’m looking forward to delving even deeper into the Star Trek community and its lore once I’ve finished my “Round 1” viewing of The Next Generation, and it's entirely possible that I'll avoid browsing or posting on these forums until I’ve completed The Next Generation because I really, REALLY don’t want anything spoiled!

Really glad that these forums exist, even if I’ll be avoiding them for a while (haha). Later!

-cc

19. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Please be generous with your posting, your fresh perspective is a benefit to all of us.

think and May 20 like this.
  20. May 20

Welcome, candiecloud! Like you, I began my Trek journey with season 3, but through a programming fluke, it was a season 1 episode that fully hooked me. I'm glad you're here. It's enjoyable to experience Trek again through new eyes.

21. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

@candiecloud, it's interesting to hear that TNG can still be fresh to a new viewer after decades it was first released.

- EDIT - What do you think fellow Trek people, should we advice candie to watch 'Q Who' from season 2 before the final episode of season 3?

think and Spectre Of The Fun like this.