Are the Andromeda books consistent with the series?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Drago-Kazov, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I mean the Andromeda with Kevin Sorbo. Which ones are worth a try? Any Andromeda comic books?

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Andromeda: Destruction of Illusions by Keith R.A. DeCandido is excellent. It's a prequel set before the series pilot. It's probably better than even the best episodes of Andromeda.

3. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed Destruction of Illusions too.

As for the others, I think I've read all of them, but don't remember most of them.

I do remember The Broken Places by Ethlie Ann Vare and Waystation by Steven Macdonald. I didn't think those were as good as Destruction but both the latter took part during the series (before season 5).

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite The Broken Places being written by a staff writer from the show, I don't think it was terribly consistent with the first season-and-a-half.

5. Drago-Kazov

I assume there no major continuity errors either?

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall any whatsoever.

7. ATimson

Nor I - at least with the first two seasons (all that I've watched).

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can vouch for the consistency of Destruction of Illusions with the show as it stood in the first couple of seasons, since I was Keith's continuity-checker on that book (and it was the first book that ever mentioned me in the acknowledgments!). Also, Keith consulted with Andromeda story editor Ashley Edward Miller for continuity help. I'd say it fits quite well continuity-wise, at least up to the point when the show changed producers and started violating its own continuity.

The only other DROM novel I've read is The Broken Places. I'm aware that it deliberately ignored some of the changes that happened in the second season (like Trance losing her tail), but otherwise I felt it was a pretty good interpretation of the show's universe, at least from what I recall of it. I'm not sure what continuity problems ATimson is thinking of, but I don't remember many details of the book, and it's been years since I've seen the show.

9. ATimson

Everything could fall into the category of "deliberately ignored changes", admittedly. It takes place during what should be season three (explicitly said to be CY 10089, and two years after "The Ties that Blind"), but Rev Bem is still around and Trance is still purple with a tail. I believe the Commonwealth hasn't actually been restored yet. And "In Heaven Now Are Three" is ignored in favor of telling its own tale of the Engine of Creation.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, yes -- basically The Broken Places is former writing staffer Ethlie Ann Vare telling the story arc of the Engine of Creation that she and the other producers intended to tell on the show. So it's set in the version of the third season that would have existed if the original plans had played out -- if Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Ethlie had stayed on the staff, if Brent Stait hadn't had to leave due to makeup allergies, if the execs hadn't disliked Trance's original version and demanded a change, and if the show's FX budget and talent had been up to making her tail work.

So I consider TBP to be authentic to the real Andromeda rather than the corrupted version that the show ended up becoming. Or at least it's a glimpse into what was originally intended for the show.

11. Drago-Kazov

It's owrite with me, i only watched S 01 and about half of SO2.