Was Daimon Bok the most threatening Ferengi villain ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Overlord, Aug 10, 2013.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was Daimon Bok the most threatening Ferengi villain ever? The thing is Bok is not the typical Ferengi, he was motivated by revenge rather then greed, so it seems like they had to take a Ferengi character away from the typical Ferengi and give him a more personal reason to hate Picard to make him menacing.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Battle was the second time the Ferengi appeared. Not sure they had an idea what the typical Ferengi was.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure any of the Ferengi have ever been genuinely threatening. Maybe Brunt.

4. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, but in the first two episodes the Ferengi appeared, most of the Ferengi were motivated solely be greed, with Bok being an exception and since those episodes most Ferengi have been motivated by greed.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say Lek was the most threatening Ferengi. Anyone who holds the job title of Eliminator raises an eyebrow and he seemed the type who could quietly make you go away if you pissed him off.

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say if he's the most threatening, but he was genuinely threatening, which is rare in a Ferengi. I'd say he's one of the 2 rarest Ferengi in all of Trek, the other being Reyga the inventor of the metaphasic shield from TNG's Suspicions

7. R. Star

See I wish we'd have seen more characters like these. They were thoroughly convincing examples that defied the racial stereotype that makes the whole race into a parody.

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. It took years to slowly build Nog & Rom up enough to make them leave behind the stereotype. Yet, TNG just did it... in one episode... like "Oh, here's a Ferengi. He's not like the others". It's fiction. It's that easy

9. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But isn't that generally the whole point of the alien races? Usually it happens mostly with the one-offs, but the Ferengi definitely fit in there as well. To mostly reduce them to stereotype to hold up the mirror about that particular aspect of us?

10. R. Star

You do a disservice to any culture by lumping them all into a single stereotype. Trek really was bad about that. They'd probably think all British people do is sit around drinking tea and eating crumpets.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I agree portrayals of alien races should be more diverse, but nine out of ten times when they do that, 'more diverse' means 'more like humans'.