Turning 50 on the 22d...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jul 20, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...and I feel a bit depressed. I used to look forward to my birthday, even if we didn't make a big thing out of it. Now? Not so much.

I'm not looking at my mortality and wondering if I left a mark or anything. I know that I've helped people, especially classmates, do and become things they honestly might not have done without some help at the right time. I may not directly impact the world, but, as I've said in the past, I've been the catalyst to help others do big things.

But I'm down a bit. My husband wants to take me out on Sunday, but I know what will happen. We'll make a reservation someplace nice, then he'll get upset about something am hour before, start an argument, and things either get cancelled or have a cloud over them. I just don't want that for a birthday dinner, especially this one. I'd rather do nothing than have that memory for a 50th birthday.

Any ideas for the birthday blues?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You need to go out and spend money on yourself ALL Sunday without your husband. Meet him at the restaurant so he won't have the chance to be a downer beforehand. Be a little drunk when you get there, so if he starts griping about something you don't care.

I have learned one thing about birthdays and other "special" events. Plan to make it special yourself in a satisfying way and don't depend on other people to do it, or participate in it. Sure you would rather they did so, but making it special for yourself has less disappointments.

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Youngster...

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree w/ Teacake's suggestion that you do something else special for/by yourself earlier in the day. Or on Monday, since that's your actual birthday.

5. propita

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

My mood darkened and deepened yesterday. Then my husband decided to try to "cheer me up." It had been a couple of weeks, due to heat and fatigue. Guess what?!

I'm addicted to endorphins. Must've been going through withdrawal, because all the sadness left.

I'm actually being serious. Sex cured my blues. I told my husband that, as a pharmacist, I'll need him to provide more regular refills of this prescription.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Turning 50 didn't bother me much at all. Turning 35 bothered me more than 40 and 50 did. But hitting 60 was a bit of a downer. On the bright side, it's better than the alternative.

7. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

50 is a breeze. It's just a number, so who cares? It goes by so fast you'll hardly know it happened, and then you'll be 51.

My little sister is 51 and my baby brother will turn 50 in February. Man, they're getting old. :guffaw:

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Good solution, Propita! Cheap, too. :devil: I'm glad you're feeling better.

9. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My hair is almost completely gone. I have gray hairs salting my dark brown pepper hair, on my arms, and up-top. Seriously, I used to hate my curly hair. It was so unmanageable, so I guess I got what I asked for. Lines are getting deeper in my face. My eyes look tremendously tired. They say beauty doesn't last forever. I'm not sure I was ever beautiful, but the youth is definitely fading. Not even 30 yet.

10. propita

I knew a boy at 14, had red hair like Chuckie from Rugrats. At 25, it was like Picard.

Here I am at 50 and my only white hairs are a couple in my eyebrow. I'm told I have a chance of having very few gray hairs otherwise. And nobody thinks I'm turning 50; they usually say, "not even 40!" So I'm not complaining about that either.

11. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

When I turned 60, I was sort of surprised how pleased I was to have reached this age. That was mostly because I could retire, but I find myself telling people that I'm 60 with no qualms. Nice to get those "senior" discounts.
    The main downside to 50 is menopause. Maybe that's why 60 isn't such a big deal. I hope you have a fun birthday and enjoy yourself.

12. Leith Jones

Leith Jones Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh?! That's the best part!

Yes - have a wonderful birthday.

I turned 50 almost 5 years ago. I am more comfortable and satisfied with myself than I ever have been. The main downside is the lack of energy.

There's a lot of life on the other side of 50 and it is good. :techman:

13. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

Well it's less than an hour away so a very Happy Birthday to you. Cheers! :beer:

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Happy Birthday! Looks like I noticed this thread just in time. [​IMG]

I hope you had a good dinner with no drama. What you should do is buy yourself a present-- something you've wanted for a while, but wouldn't normally buy.

And when you think about making a mark on the world, don't forget to take into account the Butterfly Effect. You didn't just help those people you've encountered-- you've also set an example. Many of them will remember that and go on to help others. Your goodness and kindness will ripple out into the world and into the future immeasurably; you'll never know the extent of the good that you've done. :)

As for turning 50, it didn't bother me at all. Mostly because I don't really believe I'm that old. I don't feel any different than I did 25 years ago. I got a touch of gray and maybe some new laugh lines on my face (and I've definitely gained a bit of weight, but that just brought me up to normal). As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to live forever and there's no evidence to dispute that assumption. :rommie:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  15. propita

I'm really not too worried about getting older, as some might think. We recently visited friends we haven't seen in years and they said I looked pretty much the same as ever. I am on meds I never was at 40, but that's about it.

Grape, I agree. I/we try to set an example, and when people ask how they can repay, we tell them to pay it forward. People did for us when we needed it and wouldn't take anything for their help, so....

Well, I woke up to birthday text messages, these posts, and a nice "Happy Birthday" from Hubby. And he said that being with me was the best part of his life. Best present I could get! :)

Dinner last night was just fine! Delicious prime rib, and when the chocolate lava cake was brought out for us to share, Hubby sang me Happy Birthday. Well, he tried to sing it. He said that he did not know the words. I think he was serious because I had to coach him. He practically NEVER sings, so I can believe that he never paid attention to the lyrics--but they're really not that hard, right? But he was very sweet and that's what really matters.

So thanks to all!

Funny coincidence: If the royal baby is born today, we will share the birthday. Hubby's birthday is the same as Prince William's!

16. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Happy birthday!!!

17. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Congratulations!
    50 is just like 49 or 25. Just a date marked in the calendar. What counts is how old you *feel* :)

be careful with those regular prescriptions. You might get addicted ;)

18. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Happy Birthday! ....or close enough for board viewing

As I've read somewhere age is a privilege not granted to everyone. Something I've kept in mind as I turned 50 this year as well.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I look at my birthdays as "promotions." :rommie:

20. propita

Hubby had me go to a dermatologist for a "50,000 mike checkup," as he puts it. I'm VERY white--I'm pink!--and Dad had three kinds of skin cancer. So preliminary appointment before and today was the exam.

I passed! Yeah, I'm pale, I'm told my legs glow like light sabers, but the skin there is as young as a 5yo. Not a single sign of any problem anywhere. My skin is "remarkably unremarkable." So that's checked off the list.

Colonoscopy doctor is next month.

Except for complications from my thyroid (and being overweight, partly from that) and some heel spurs, I am in great health! Time to eat better and exercise, well, when it stays under 100 for a few days running,