(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ooo Glory Hunter the true whores of football :lol:

Is it or is Carlo a poor choice for Chelsea because even though he is perfect for Chelsea's slower pace football, MR Roman will tire of that and the odds are CL you have more chance of not winning it than wining it so League Titles become must to keep your job and Carlo is a Cup Manager just like Rafa IMO. One league title with the players he had over last 8 years is just poor...

I never understood why AC Milan never won more titles over past 15 years. Personally Moyes deserved a shot at the TOP 4 or Mr Rjikkard because he did build a lovely Barcelona team that won back to back titles and the CL.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Garak ? No, he's not worth it. I would just take his "opinions" on football even less seriously than I already do.

Well, he can hardly claim that he supports his local team, can he ?

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

You know there are times I wish I could not support my local team :lol: I do admire many teams like Man Utd and Aston Villa but draw the line at calling myself a fan of them (I admire there play style and players). I know some people say it doesn't matter that you don't support your local team but I was brought up in believing you should (or your dads team...both apply to my choice of Forest ;))

As for the money talk line Garak, Man City disagress with you on that and with an inadequte youth system, eventually MR ROMAN will get bored if Chelsea who have won only 1 cup in the past 2 years despite being the original billionaire club, carry on being outdone by the other true bigger clubs :p Its amazing how when other clubs caught up with your £££'S that they began beating you again :lol:.

I guess money only talks when you use it properly to build a foundation like Fergie and not quick glory.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I support my great grandfather's local team - Woolwich Arsenal. My local, local team are Dagenham & Redbridge and I support them too.

Actually, our old dark red - what Arsenal now call "redcurrent" - shirts came from Nottingham Forest. Forest donated kit to the club when the founders, before the club was professional, could not find any.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I do support my local team, although it's not the closest club to where I grew up (that would be a club that played in the third league the last decade, but finally won promotion last weekend :D), but I really don't think it matters much - as long as you stick with the "choice" you made (regardless of whether it was a choice or not). Changing affiliation or supporting two teams that play in the same league is something I can't understand.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I have a colleague who supports Leeds United and Doncaster Rovers. They weren't in the same league when he started. :lol:

7. Roger Wilco

Ouch. :lol:

That would be an exception I guess. ;)

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I could never switch though if Mansfield Town got into the same league as Forest then I would support both because Manfield are my 2nd club and they did give me one of my greatest footballing moments with a PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL penalty shootout win (right behind the goal in the stands for that) and a trip to the lovely Millenium Stadium for the Final. Forest have loss to playoff semi finals with late goals stopping us reaching the final so so owe me a trip to Wembley.

HOWEVER when it comes to both meeting each other...Forest all the way ;) 2 out of 3 local clubs is max I can do because as for Notts County well :devil: DOWN DOWN DOWN with the magpies

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Truer words never spoken? (I expect people will disagree!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2009/06/big_business_as_usual.html

Sour grapes, possibly, although to be honest if you offered me Derby being where Everton are now in 3 seasons I'd bite your hand off.

Wage and spending caps would solve it, but hardly likely, so maybe the solution is more billionaire owners? Make the top 4 a top 6, then a top 8 until eventually every one of the 92 league clubs is incredibly wealthy- as the line goes, when everyone is special, nobody is. Maybe then the Prem could get to where the Championship is, where evertyone beats everyone else to the point where anyone can sneak into the top 6?

Actually maybe the solution is to introduce a play off for the 4th Champions League place. Now THAT would make life interesting (even if Arsenal still won it) :lol:

I think things will change. Eventually Abramovitch will get bored and Chelsea lack the infrastructure to survive without him in their current form. Wenger will leave Arsenal eventually, and while they won't collapse, I can see them slipping into Villa/Everton territory. Ferguson will retire and the Glaser debts will be called in, though the set up will probably ensure they stay there or there abouts. And Liverpool...well Benitez has to explode eventually, and he probably will take half of Anfield with him.

Of course then we'll complain about Man City/Spurs/ whoever :lol:

Am I a hypocrite? If some billionaire gave Nigel £30 million to spend would I complain? Probably not ;)

10. Roger Wilco

Well, local rivalries are counter-indicated to "support your local team" of course. ;)

but apropos Notts County - I read somewhere that Notts County is one of the few fan-owned teams in England, but the wikipedia page doesn't really explain how that works - is it set up like the clubs in Germany (where every member has one vote in elections, etc) or is the club just owned mostly by small shareholders?

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No, you're not. I would like to see a turnover-based wage cap in the Premier League. Clubs would be limited to spending some percentage (say 75%) of the money the clubs actually make from gate receipts, TV, merchandise etc.

No "loans" from billionaires, no buying the players a house each to offset their real wages.

Clubs that operate sensibly as businesses would be rewarded. Clubs that don't, and I'm thinking more of the likes of Newcastle here than Chelsea or Man City, would not be.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Am not sure about Notts County owenership other than only there fans would be the ones who'd want to own that club :lol:.

I have to admit the Stags/Forest fanbase is weird because quite alot of Mansfield fans are Forest Fans it just varies of which is someones 2nd club. We both dislike Notts County so we share comon ground (I live in Kirkby-In Ashfield so I can get to Notts/Mansfield easily on train so I have 2 local teams) :lol: Hey it could all of been different casue the Derbyshire border is about 10 minutes in car....OH NO :p

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Derby have pretty much always been my team, although for some reason I think when I was very young I had a brief flirtation with Southampton (probably the glamour of them having Keegan! :lol: ) but Derby are the team my dad supports, the team I grew up closest too and I'll never desert them no matter how crap we get.

My nephew is the weirdest. Growing up he adored Man Utd and laughed at Derby but when Utd won the double (he must have been 15 or 16) he dumped them and started supporting Derby. All he said at the time was that Utd had become boring because they had nothing left to win! Obviously by this criteria he'll support the Rams all his life ;)

14. Roger Wilco

That would be funny. You could do it like the Dutch Eredivisie used to for a couple years - send the first two clubs to the CL and everyone else from position 3-10 or so in a playoff for the rest of the EC spots. You have a quite radical promotion play-off already, so it would be sort of fitting anyway.

Alright, I see. :lol:

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Didn't holland stop the playoff thing this year because UEFA told them they were not allowed to chose there CL clubs in such a manner ?

16. Roger Wilco

Yeah, they softened the play-off significantly - that's why I said "used to". ;)

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I was asking is it true they stopped it because of UEFA ?

18. Roger Wilco

No idea, but I know the system was very controversial in the Netherlands too, I think neither the fans nor the clubs liked it either.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That would be interesting, but wouldn't it still favour the bigger clubs (and I'm thinking in terms of attendances here rather than anything else)

I see Gareth Barry is in talks with Man City. Guess Garak was spot on, money does talk. Shame if Liverpool or even Arsenal didn't come in for him.

And did I read the BBC right, Tony Adams close to being Celtic manager?! :wtf: (John Barnes mk2?)

20. Roger Wilco

So what? Football is not supposed to be egalitarian - except on the pitch, where anything's possible.

This isn't a commie US sport where all the teams are on a level playing field. ;)