Star Trek; Starfleet Academy

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Andromeda

Andromeda Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd like to see a Bolian/Klingon hybrid - would give the make-up department something to worry about :D

2. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

My idea would not be able to exist at all, because it involves the Dominion War. I would have Starfleet in dire straits with so much of their fleet lost, so they would have to go on a massive recruiting drive and have to fast track cadets through the academy. Let's say two years instead of four. That way we could have the characters be fleshed out in season one in San Francisco with frequent space missions and then have season 2 be on a training ship like the Valiant or the Enterprise in Star Trek II.

Then in the third season you can have the group graduate and go off into different directions. I think it would be really cool to follow a group of characters through their careers rather than a ship. They would still interact and their stories would connect, but having them on different ships would be an interesting path to take that hasn't been done.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Abramsverse can still have the Dominion War. It can even go pretty much like it did. Maybe not with so many Vulcans, but who knows, they might get their population back up to reasonable levels through technological means.

4. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Since the Dominion war is over, I think that would not be the way to go. But it could be some other war. Im reminded slightly of the desperate Riker and ramshackle Enterprise from the Federation that was being overrun by the Borg. What was that episode again?

Anyway, I can see a darker setting. A grim reality where the young and the retired are pulled into service to help maintain Camelot against the swarming hordes. Barbarians at the gates! I can see the different settings idea. Sort of like Crash or Babel.

Interesting idea.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a problem, the next series could be set during any time period. Even if it covered events previously depicted in another series, as long as your particular series has a fresh take on the Dominion War, all's good.

But we know how the War ends? Sure, but we (realistically) always knew the Federation would win. And we don't know how any of you new episodes will play out, or what direction your series will take. Just steer well clear of what has been shown before, you'll be fine.

But the War only lasted two years? Yes and so did the Korean War, and the series MASH lasted for eleven seasons.

But the War centered on the DS9 station? That's like saying the second world war centered on Europe so you can't show what happen in the Pacific, wars have theaters. Plus plenty of the last two seasons of DS9 were removed from the station itself. Center you series on a far way front.

Let's not. I know Starfleet as the Nazis appeal to some fans, something untoward happens and then Starfleet is "forced" to make compromises in it's ethics and take a darker path. But really?

6. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

Well I would agree if it were being like the Nazis. If Starfleet starts having gas chambers, I will agree with you. But a darker setting can just mean hard and dangerous times. Im not envisioning their ethics going out the window, or a fascisitic movement takes power, etc. I simply mean a darker setting. Dark times. Not the fall of the federation to a Nazi like ideology that starts exterminating billions, etc.

7. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Parallels.

And I don't mean it would take place during the Dominion War, but directly after. Dealing with the aftermath, something we've never really seen. That way we can imagine a believable need to fast-track people through the Academy (Unlike ST09). I don't know, while it may not work as a series, I think I may fan fic it