Sigh... I'm ashamed to admit it...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

My buddy and I are going to go see the "GI Joe" movie.

It looks like total crap, we both believe that -

"These are accelerator suits..."
    "What's it accelerate?"
    "Your CGI doppleganger because it'll be cheaper to make a CGI model of that than the actual actor."

But it looks so much like crap it'll just be fun to riff on and make fun of until, well, Transformers 3 or GI Joe 2 comes out.

;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I agree. It doesn't look like it captures the spirit of the G.I. Joe I remember, and the Baroness looks to have been terribly miscast. It's still G.I. Joe though and I'll go see it.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I never watched a whole lot of GI Joe as a kid, but what I did see doesn't seem to have inspired much in this POS movie.

I think the two will only be similar in name, character names, and vauge "plot structure" only. But overall the movie just looks crap. The CGI "accelerator suits" in paticular. I told my buddy we need to go see it some afternoon with cheap ticket prices when, hopefully, the theater will be empty enough that we can "riff" on the movie. If not, well we'll just pick on it afterwards. Should be fun. :lol:

But the movie, to me, just looks like pure crap. I've thought that ever sense the trailer(s) started coming out for it. My buddy and I had very, very similar comments on it when we talked about the trailer. (The accelerator suits being an excuse to not have to make CGI models of the actors, that the movie looks like it'll be similar in theme/connection to source material as Street Fighter was, etc.)

But, damn, if it won't be fun to just go see this movie for the horrible spectacle it will be.

And who knows? Maybe I'll end up being surprised. Stranger things have happened.

One thing is for sure, there damn well better be a "Knowing is half the battle" PSA at the end of it.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Pork chop sandwiches!

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

From what i remember of the 80s GI Joe it was crap, this movie looks a lot better.

RAMA

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

So what? It's going to be a cheesy popcorn flick. As long as you know that going in, what's the problem?

I'm going to see it because 1) The Doctor is in it. And ... well that's pretty much the main reason. With a minor 2) to see big 'splosions.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no faith in the director. Sure, I liked his work in The Mummy, but then he tried to out-CGI that with The Mummy Returns. Then he tried to out-CGI that with Van Helsing. I hope GI Joe just isn't the next level of escalation.

8. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

did you know that those "accelerator suits" enable them to transform into vehicles? >_< well not really, but that's what they were going for i think...

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the accelerator suits are not as prominent as the trailers would have you believe. they're only in the Paris Pursuit set-piece. seriously, watch all the TV spots and trailers and all the clips are from the same part of the movie, they're frequently even the same clips. it's probably no more than 10-15 minutes of the entire film. that's like whinging about the Bumblebee pissing scene in Transformers even though it lasts two minutes.

oh, wait, what am i talking about...

10. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I will save my money and watch my son play HALO. Should be about the same.

11. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Whaaaaat?

Of all the information released about this God-awful movie, the Baroness is the only thing they've done right.

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will not be seeing this in the theaters but a couple of reports I've read (one being from fat Harry at aicn) indicate that it's far better than the trailers and ads would have us believe.
    So who knows. I'll see when the dvd comes out.

It might also help that even though I was constantly watching GI Joe as a little kid, I have zero emotional attachment to it.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I'm hopin' I'll be able to get into a free screenin'. If not, a matinee should work...

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I pretty much expect it'll be bad, but I suspect we'll go and see it anyway.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is complete crap, but it's way better than Transformers 2 AND Terminator: Salvation

16. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Yeah, exactly.

They should just do a ninety-minute version of those cartoons.

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

For the last couple of years, I've decided to stop watching films I expect to be bad, even when they would make my inner fanboy giggle like a schoolgirl, and instead I go see films I think I'll enjoy. It's a much better approach, I really recommend it.

18. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts, except that I'll definitely see it in theaters. I think it will be a fun popcorn flick. My only real knowledge of G.I. Joe is from what I've read here and there in articles and the 80's series, so to me this movie seems to capture that spirit just fine.

I'm not bothered by the high tech suits when technology was pulled out of thin air left and right regularly in the old Joe cartoon. I do understand the comic books were much more serious fare, and that may be the standard many hardcore Joe fans are holding on to.

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

but there again, the GI Joe comic featured a plot revolving around a paranoia ray that Cobra used to cause internal unrest in countries in order to drive up arms sales. they also used a frigging huge explosion on the ocean floor in the Gulf of Mexico to create Cobra Island.

how's that any more realistic than an exo-suit that amplifies human abilities? something the US and UK militaries are trying to develop in real life.

20. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator