Star Trek: The Next Series, The Fans, and The Truth

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by AshGL1914, Sep 1, 2014.

1. AshGL1914

AshGL1914 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Blah

Mods please delete thread.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for your permission.

:)

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You left out one of the key factors: The general audience.

Nobody is going to produce a new STAR TREK series just for "the fan base."

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^Not to mention that producing a series just for the fanbase is an impossibility, as what one fan wants is going to be completely different than what another fan wants.

And to answer the OP's question:

Whether CBS knows that fans want a new Trek series is irrelevant, because they already have highly rated shows now that are much cheaper to produce than a Trek series. If they'd love to make a new Trek series, they'd be making one now.

5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You know what businesses "love" to invest in? Projects that present a positive net present value investment.

As Dukhat said, if CBS would "love" to do a Star Trek show, you would know about it, because it would be either on air already or in development. CBS Corporation is a +15 billion Dollar revenue business, rest assured that very smart professionals are looking at whether or not a Star Trek project fits their portfolio and presents a positive investment.

6. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure why you felt the need to state the obvious? The fans know all this?

7. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Obvious post states the obvious.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

We can't handle the truth!

9. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

If people want to shout into the wind for what they want, that's their prerogative. It would be best for them to know what the reasonable odds are that they'll get what they want or how to go about exerting influence, though. I can't help but think of Linus and the Great Pumpkin. Beyond a certain point, hoping/praying/expecting something to happen when it obviously isn't going to happen is a real waste of energy. (I've been down that road. I know.) But everyone has their own idea of when something crosses over to being a lost-cause.

10. AshGL1914

Why can't Spider-Man join The Avengers in feature films?

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

They don't.

12. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After a third film and not before.

13. AshGL1914

Wow.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, Paramount (and probably J.J. Abrams) are the villain of this piece?

I'm curious what you do in the "industry of Star Trek"

15. AshGL1914

Really? "The villain of this piece"? There are no mustache twirling villains here.

Over dramatic much?

16. AshGL1914

Sigh...Nevermind.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well you are being a little bit ridiculous. Less games, more insider knowledge. if you have it.

If this is just about the tangle of legalities surrounding the new and old Trek franchises, we already know about that. It was spelled out at the Shore Leave con with regard to the novels not being allowed to feature elements created for the movies - which has them in somewhat of a bind since they're almost caught up with the flashforward scenes of ST'09.

If it's that TPTB want the movies to run their course without TV Trek competition, that makes sense and is fairly straightforward - why pay $10 to see Star Trek when you can just wait for next week's free episode?

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So is this how you usually react when people don't agree with what you write, and provide meaningful reasons why they don't agree?

19. AshGL1914

Not at all.
    It's how I react when I'm prevented by actual contractual commitments from stating anything as fact.

Starting this conversation was ill advised as I'm limited in what I can say. The real take way from all this should be however that I'm tired of all of the fan's conjecture of why they don't have a new series to watch and finger pointing in the direction of CBS, or the idea that some other entity will create new Star Trek. So wrong, but it was just as wrong to think that I could educate anybody when I can't actually give up everything that I know. The situation is extremely frustrating, but at the end of the day it's best if this topic just went away and so I deleted my comments, and have asked the board's adms to delete the thread.

And that's an end.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

"Prevented by actual contractual commitments from stating anything as fact?" What? Your OP was just stuff that most of us already knew. Yeah, people here bitch and complain that there's no ST on TV right now. And they'll continue to bitch when it is on TV. Not sure what your point was. But whatever.