What happened to Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Infern0, Jan 22, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that like.. a pandadox?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey! So those are the words to the doctor who theme!

Pandadox, pandadox, pandadox, pandadox, pandadox, pandadox, pandadox, PANDA!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeee!

3. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Panda = Paradox Assistance Neutronically Deformed Animal ?

4. teacake

Maybe they all ended up as the Cheron? As in, someone has already done this, gone back to a time of Panda prosperity thousands of years ago and warp 10'nd them and deposited them on Cheron.

5. Guy Gardener

Do you think Thor of Cheron was hotter than Loki of Cheron?

6. teacake

Actually, yes I do. I'm over the dark tortured ones.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If Evolved Pandas take over Earth, 300 years later a giant empty toilet paper roll appears over earth making strange noises. It takes a while for them to identify the noise as flushing sounds, because Evolved Pandas know nothing about toilets, as they always s##t in the woods. They send a pandaship back in time to the 21st century, when humans were still in abundance. They bring back two humans, who then quickly build a crapper and flush. The toilet paper roll goes away.

Then the two humans breed, and it starts all over again.

8. Guy Gardener

He was only half dark.

9. teacake

I will BLEND those stupid black and white cookies and they will be horribly, horribly BISQUE.

10. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Well some of the main cast had nowhere to be promoted to. Or didn't have a rank. Tuvok did get a promotion, at least.

You could argue Tores earned herself a promotion. Paris screwed up and went temporarily backwards.

Also, isn't 7 years just an awfully long time to be at the most junior rank? I would have thought just standard competent service would mean a promotion by then.

11. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Harry's bitterness about being stuck as an ensign was the only development the character underwent in 7 years. Don't take that from him!

12. teacake

If they never got home there would be NO ONE to promote Janeway. But did you hear her whining about this possibility? No.

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you answered your own question pretty much. For a ship with only 150 people it was way officer heavy anyways. Had Voyager had something more of a resolution beyond "they're home, fade to black" it's something we might have seen once they got back to Earth. But let's face it, above and beyond to earn one despite there being no need for a higher rank? If he was doing his job as the "ship's smart person" like Data at Ops in TNG... there would've been no need to bring in Seven later on.

Yeah... a person with violent rage issues, who's struck her co-workers, gone behind Janeway's orders and was once suicidally depressed is a great candidate for promotion.

14. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Isn't trek always officer-heavy? I think O'brien is the only NCO in the fleet...

By "nowhere to be promoted to" I was thinking specficially that Janeway can't promote herself or elevate chakotay to her own rank.

More generally, there's the problem of lack of new job openings (unless someone gets killed) and there are limits to how far you can promote people when they're still in the post they held at launch.

But I'd have thought harry could have climbed one measly rank on the ladder, in recognition of his years service. Also, I mean, he's got a full-time bridge post and he sits in on command meetings. Unlike all the other Ensign Joneses that are working in engineering or laundry department or whatever. So he's already more accomplished than them. Think that justifies a pip on his collar.

15. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

co worker, not coworkers...and Chakotay punched a guy in the face too.

despite her depression she sure saved the butts of Tom, Harry, and Seven in the Delta Flyer

and Tuvok went behind Janeway's back and still got promoted

and she still kept the ship together in perfect working order without drydock or help from starfleet, without her they wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as they did

16. Guy Gardener

When they got Equinox, Janeway could have promoted herself to fleet captain. If they hadn't lost Equinox, that would have been necessary. Someone should have been promoted to Captain when they had the Dauntless as well.

Look at his collar, Chakotay is only a Lieutenant Commander.

17. R. Star

You can be the commanding officer of a ship without holding the rank of captain. The vast majority of co's in any modern navy aren't captains. With a few exceptions, Trek overlooks this.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You can still promote them in rank with no change in position. As you say he should have perhaps had got a promotion to Lt. JG at some point.

I mean having an extra lt. JG wasn't going to have any impact on Voyager. Just look at Kirk's crew by the time movies came esp. TVH,TFF and TUC. 3 Captain's onboard one ship all of which are/would make competant CO's themselves. Several Commanders who were capable of being First Officers etc..

19. R. Star

^
    Which you would -never- see in a real military. That's just wasteful of training, talent and ability.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True, but I guess once you've saved Earth, You might be able to pick your assignment.