Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's just sad on so many levels.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Three times in a single weekend. :p

I know everyone has different tastes, just having a bit of fun with MakeshiftPython's statement.

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm trying real hard to see how you infered that from my post.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

If I ever have fun with Trek again, it will not be on he big screen but the small one. Here's hoping for that day.

5. BillJ

For me, another TV series would be tedious and overkill. I'd rather have a new outer-space drama instead of beating the rancid, bloated carcass of Star Trek again and again.

Movies every few years are a fun nostalgic trip for me. Another TV series, not so much.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's where I'm at, and have been since Enterprise. Hell, even a miniseries every so often would be preferred to another year on year of formulaic stories.

7. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^As much as I hate to agree with you, yeah, Star Trek should stay on the big screen; it's pretty much reached the limits of what it can be on the small screen.

8. MakeshiftPython

Except theatrical films cannot be anywhere near as inventive and flexible as a tv series, despite a bigger budget. I think Trek TV is still feasible. That last season of ENT proved it could still be done as long as you had passionate writers behind it.

9. BillJ

We better be careful. We'll be tagged as Star Trek fans that hate Star Trek. :lol:

I think the biggest thing that convinced me Star Trek's day was over was the Mass Effect trilogy of games. They convinced me that sci-fi could be big and fun again but also handle serious issues. The storytelling was sharp and visually it was exciting in a way Star Trek hasn't been since TOS. I've got a bad feeling that once Star Wars: Episode VII hits theaters, Trek will look like it is standing still visually.

10. Nerys Myk

I've no real preference when it come to Trek. I'll take either one or both.

They're different mediums with different strengths and weaknesses. A film can be just as inventive and flexible as TV and vice versa.

11. BillJ

It isn't whether it's feasible or not. It's whether or not I want to really revisit the universe again on a weekly basis? As much as I love Star Trek, the answer for me is no.

I have trouble mustering up the interest to read a Trek comic or novel anymore.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they've kinda of mined it all out. By the end of Voyager the galaxy felt tiny. Even if they went to another Galaxy, it'd just be the same formula again. It got predictable.

13. MakeshiftPython

The big draw is characters you want to follow, not whatever formula.

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Which Trek has sadly lacked since most of Voyager. Hell, even the characters got to be formulaic after a while. By the time Voyager ended, I didn't not care one bit if they got home or not. Enterprise's characters were bland--a big problem for a prequel--but they fit in all the appropriate peg holes.

15. Nerys Myk

Depends on the show. Some are formula driven, some are character driven and some are plot driven. There's more than one way to do TV.

16. BillJ

That is the biggest problem though. Star Trek hasn't given me characters I want too follow since early in TNG's run, that's close to 25 years. Paramount pissed away any dramatic credibility the franchise had by never really making anything dramatic stick. They made the problem worse by allowing Trek Lit to bring back pretty much every major character whose ever died in the franchise.

Abrams had to do an alternate reality take on the franchise to do anything remotely dramatic and even then Paramount wouldn't allow them to destroy the Enterprise. Can you imagine anyone at the CBS/Paramount offices ever allowing a Star Trek similar in tone to something like Game of Thrones?

Dramatically, visually and conceptually Trek has been passed by.

I remember many years ago someone called what were getting at the time McTrek and they were right. Paramount pumped a ton of it out and it lacked anything of substance most of the time.

17. MakeshiftPython

I agree, but that doesn't mean we can't get another Trek series with a strong set of characters. I also feel Trek should only do 13 episodes a season, just to give the series more focus. I've notice shows are much stronger with that number because they're at least planned out better and more focused with no fillers.

18. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I don't own a cell phone on principle - or any other mobile device that encourages illiteracy or falls down manholes - so I'm not an expert, but has no one any control over their spelling and visual checks on these things?

19. MakeshiftPython

When I'm not in a rush, sure. Could be worse, l kid b typ1n lke ths lolzorZ wtfffff???

20. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

You might not, I do, and I want to see what happens in next month's issue. That's why I have a pullbox with Star Trek comics in it. And those comics are amazing.

So, just the movies, huh? Not even an animated show with cute Starfleet officers?;):lol: