24 minus JACK BAUER

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by RobertScorpio, May 28, 2009.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Would you watch 24 if Jack Bauer wasn't in it? I would have, if he had been replaced by Tony Almeda. But that isn't going to happen now. And as much as I like Renee? Sorry, my left-over sexist viewing habits would never accept a woman in that role.

To me? 24 would lose its way with out Jack. It would be like watching AMERICAN IDOL with out Simon Cowell. Both shows would tank with out them I think.

Rob
    scorpio

2. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I wouldn't want to see 24 without Jack, in the same way I wouldn't want to ever have seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer without Buffy. Some shows are completely lead-based, and this is one of them. Tony was awesome before he went evil, and Renee is awesome, but 24 and Jack are synonymous in my book.

3. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Totally agree. And I think BRAGA/COTO ruined a good thing with Tony. There is NO WAY Tony would have done what he did. Jack lost his wife, and never went rogue. Tony was positioned to take the show over if Jack had left, sort of. I could buy 24 with Tony, not as much as I do with Jack, but at least we had history with Tony. They ruined him.

Renee, as you said, was awesome. But as the show's star? No. 24 is Jack Bauer, as you said. And with out him the show would just fade away.

Rob

4. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about with Freddy Prinez Jr. in the lead role?

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Very true. Jack Bauer IS the show. I wouldn't watch it if he weren't there.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

There was a time when I would have considered the show without Jack Bauer in the lead, but that time has long passed (and with the turn of Tony Almeida to the dark side, and the departure of David Palmer, among others, I struggle to imagine who would lead the show without Jack at this point). For better or worse, the show has become about Jack. When he is done, the show is done. FOX would be insane to continue it without Kiefer Sutherland, and the show has mostly run its course at this point. I would not mind at all if season eight was the last year. The show has never been as good as the first two seasons, although it has risen to entertain me in seasons five and seven.

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to think I couldn't watch the show without him, but now I feel like I could. As much as I love Jack I am satisfied with what I have seen of him and if someone were to take his place I wouldn't be left feeling like I wanted more Jack. He makes the show what it is, but I think that the show has had a great run and I wouldn't mind seeing some major changes. I would prefer to watch Kim take his role as the lead, but if I couldn't have her then Renee would be fine too. I don't think we could have another male lead as we would always be comparing him to Jack. A female lead would be different enough to make it a refreshing change.

8. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the only way to make 24 work without Jack Bauer is to hire another movie star quality actor. No replacing Sutherland with his supporting cast. And even then it'd be a gamble that would likely only go one season.

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Perhaps...but I don't think they'd spend the money. We'll probably get someone like Bruce Boxlieter or McGyver!

Rob

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show is too entrenched in Sutherland. Through seven seasons, he's been in like 75% of all the scenes. Since it's not a true ensemble show (since regular characters during one season are often tossed aside the next), you really can't change leads this late in the game. 24 wouldn't survive for very long with Coy and Vance Duke.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I vaguely remember a rumour that Edward Norton was to replace Keifer for season 4. And I think Tony was arguably a strong enough and popular enough character to have replaced him had they offed Jack in maybe the first or second series. But yet further character transformation will be required before they could do that now.

I'd say at this stage Jack is essential to 24. The show has become as much about how much he can endure and how far he will go in the course of saving the day, as it is about the real time format. You couldn't have had The Shield without Vic Mackey or NYPD Blue without Andy and I think Jack is even more indispensable to this show. I know that 24 is notorious for killing off its characters but I think when they kill off Jack, it will have to mean the end of the show too.

12. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe Jack will die destroying the way society keeps track of time, thus preventing any further threats that could be resolved in a 24hr time frame.

13. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

There's a reason every single DVD set is a close-up of Kiefer. Jack Bauer is 24.

14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should really do a Kim Bauer spinoff though. ;)

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would take someone like Norton to replace Jack. But why would someone like Norton bother with some TV show?

Too bad they can't just bring back "Adam Kaufman." I guess he's pretty busy nowdays. :rommie:

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Jack will battle with "Q" he'll be in the past, present and future.

Jack- We're dealing with anti time! it hasn't been 24 hours DAMMIT it's been 24 YEARS!

17. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I would not. 24 isn't about their magical real-time format. It's about the Jack Bauer Power Hour.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

19. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Only if they kill her in the pilot episode. Been waiting for her to die since the 1st season.

20. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

She could take over for PENNY on BIG BANG THEORY..just about as smart.

Rob