How easily do you recognize Trek actors w/out makeup?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by _C_, Jul 14, 2013.

1. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

I'm curious to know this, because I think there are maybe two that I know of who wear extensive makeup who I recognized without it. And actors whose makeup is minimal(ie Vulcan or Bajoran makeup that doesn't change the appearance of their face much) don't count. We all recognize Leonard Nimoy with or without the ears.

The only two actors I was able to recognize outside of Trek without being told who they were first is Rene Auberjonois and Armin Shimerman.

I recognized Rene because of his nose, his eyes and the general shape of his face(The Odo voice isn't his normal voice, but most of us already know that :P).

I recognized Armin because of the shape of his jaw, mouth and his voice.

Funnily enough, I spotted Armin several times on Stargate: SG-1 ("Oh my God, mom, it's Quark!") and Rene showed up in The Patriot ("Dad, look, it's Odo!"). (I've since seen Rene in other things, but The Patriot was the first time I spotted and recognized him outside of Trek).

I had to see the names to recognize the other actors. To me, Michael Dorn looks COMPLETELY different without Klingon fangs and facial hair. If Worf was clean shaven I might have recognized Michael more easily without makeup.

So, how about the rest of you? Did you ever spot and recognize otherwise heavily made up actors without Trek makeup? (And NO, the DS9 ep Far Beyond The Stars doesn't count, you cheaters ;) )

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was once watching the Sylvester Stallone/Kurt Russell film Tango and Cash on cable, and this was a long time ago as I've not had cable in about 20 years. There was a bad guy sitting in a chair, and he looked and sounded very familiar but I couldn't figure out who he was. I recognized a bit of stage business he did when he tented his fingers in front of him while speaking. End credits revealed it was Marc Alaimo, whom I'd recognized from his TNG appearances (usually as aliens), before he became finger-tenting Dukat.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Depends on who it is. The actor who played Third Remata'klan in "Rocks and Shoals" is the same person who played the African American cadet who appears on the bridge of the Enterprise in TSFS. Had I not looked up Remata'klan's information on Memory Alpha, I'd never have guessed they were the same actor.

Edit: The actor is Phil Morris, who's probably best known for playing Jackie Chiles on Seinfeld.

--Sran

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Phil's Trek history goes back to when he was a child, playing one of the Onlies in "Miri". His dad (Greg Morris) was electronics wizard Barney Collier on the original "Mission: Impossible", which filmed at the same studio during TOS' run.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Months ago Micheal Dorn appeared in car commercils for Dodge. It took a few viewings before I realize that "future guy" was Dorn.

:)

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I did. I also noticed he was with James Hong and frakkin' Jack Palance !!! What a triple-alliance of evil !

Phil also played Barney's son in the 80s Mission Impossible series.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think I can recognize most of the non-Klingon actors from Star Trek. Most of them have distinct faces and klingons are the only major Trek race where the major facial features are seriously obscured, and klingons are also the only major Trek race where they all talk in voices very different from their own.

Like, Nog is super-obvious in that episode of Voyager.

8. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Robert O'Reilly is easy to spot.

Auberjonois and Shimerman have been around in tv for many years, as has Andy Robinson.

Dorn was Beckett's shrink on Castle. Watch for him in CHiPs reruns. My wife never recognizes his face, but always his voice.

Any time I ask her if she recognizes an actor she says maybe. Then she asks if they played a Ferengi. :guffaw:

If you watch much tv you'll see any number of people who have guested on Trek. Episodic tv tends to cast good people, and they get around.

9. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

^LOL yeah.

Also, James Sloyan did voiceover work for Lexus commercials(I think it's Lexus.)

Jeffrey Combs has been a few different people in Trek, but he turned up as the voice of Ratchet on Transformers: Prime. Now every time I watch DS9 and see Weyoun, I look for the damn ambulance! XD It's hilarious.

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My wife wants me to give her a dollar every time I point out someone was from Star Trek (I don't bother to specify which series).

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Stargate seemed to make it a mission to get as many Star Trek actors out of alien makeup as possible. They've had Phlox and Neelix (can't be bothered to remember the actor's names) as well as the others mentioned already in this thread. At least I think they had Neelix. My memory is really going. I do know he was in The Island opposite Ewan McGregor.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Neelix is played by Ethan Phillips.

--Sran

13. Captain McBain

Captain McBain Captain Captain

Brent Spiner is easy to spot.

14. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

^Yeah, because his makeup just changes his face and hair coloring. :P

15. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Tony Todd (Kurn) was in The Crow and CandyMan
    Ethan Phillips (Neelix) was on an episode of NUMB3RS
    John Billingsley (Phlox) was a blind guy on NCIS

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that Paul Winfield (Capt. Terrell, TWOK) played Dathon in "Darmok." That was some darn good makeup.

17. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The THIS network runs two episodes of SG-1 on Sunday nights. Last week, Tony Todd was on as the leader of a secret sect of Jaffa in a "Last Samuri" ripoff. I saw him and went "Hey, It's Worf's brother. Kurn." And a glasses-wearing Rob Picardo was on last night's ep.

18. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is what I can think of off the top of my head:

Andy Robinson was difficult to spot at first for me in Dirty Harry, due to the blonde hair, but once you see it, hard not to.

I wish Jolene Blalock looked the way she did in SG1, while on Enterprise.

David Warner, who has been in a ton of stuff can be hard to spot until you hear him speak, if you only know him from Star Trek 6 and as Gul Madred.

Trek actors in Stargate are easy to spot for me.

Robin Curtis wasn't easy to spot in The Gambit at first.

I was able to spot Conner Trinnier and John Billingsly in 24. Quinto, after seeing Star Trek 2009.

I remember seeing Marc Alaimo and Robert Picardo in the original Total Recall, and was easy to spot.

I've also seen Alaimo in reruns (after seeing DS9) in the incredible hulk, Knight rider, and Greatest American Hero.

John Delancie in Breaking bad (Jane's father) was a surprise once I realized it,

I remember how surprised I was when I heard the voices of Frakes, Sirtis, Dorn, Spiner, Burton and Mulgrew on Gargoyles, but knew them right away, except Spiner.

The reverse was true for:
    Dwight Shultz: To me he STILL is Murdock!

I was surprised to see Bra’tac in Voyager episode Muse

Ronnie Cox in Deliverance, Stargate SG1 and Robocop is easy to spot (in fact, I knew him as Dick Jones).

19. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

I still giggle about Gargoyles being a Star Trek convention. Omg I loved that show so much when I was a teen.

Odo/Kira and Goliath/Elisa are two of my favorite OTP's!

20. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OTP's? What's that? I know I could probably google it, but humor me :)