Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Jedi storyline is a bit too straightforward. It pretty much goes where you'd expect.

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Yeah, my first characters on both Ebon Hawk and Red Eclipse were troopers. However, I'm starting to really like my Jedi Consular (Shadow). I originally chose the class because they can use the double-bladed lightsabers. I noticed the last few times I've played though that I never use the lightsaber. The JC has a lot of mental and telekinesis attacks that are much more effective.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been doing so well with my Smuggler, and then.... Damn you, Lightspring! This battle feels more like it should be a group battle rather than solo.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've now got a Trooper on Ebon Hawk to go along with my Imperial Agent. One of the things I like most about this game so far is I can easily switch back and forth between characters depending on my mood. If I'm feeling snarky I'll roll with my Smuggler (who's now gotten his ship back), if I want to be all sneaky and spy-like I'll play my Agent, and if I want to blow shit up I'll go with either my Bounty Hunter or Trooper. The Bounty Hunter might actually be my least favorite of the four, though I fricking love that Death From Above ability. :D

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The lack of an account bank/cargo hold for all your characters on a server is annoying.

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I found my first piece of headgear (not counting social gear). I didn't know there was any in the game. Although it's for a different class, I put it on my character for the increased armor and endurance.

7. Skywalker

Well, last night I went ahead and bought some cartel coins to get Preferred Status. The extra quickbars and all that are nice, but to be honest, the Sprint ability on its own is almost enough to justify the purchase. What a difference it makes! :lol:

I'm running seven different characters now, one of each class except for the Sith Inquisitor. I'm no farther than level 17 with any of them though, because instead of sticking with one character I keep bouncing back and forth between them all. :ouch:

8. Jono

They've announced they are closing down all APAC servers and plan to offer transfers to NA servers. Not completely surprising, thought they might try merging us into a super-server first. I have not seen much positivity about it from anyone on the server I play on or in the forums so far.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5le92UmPmU[/yt]

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that ship has been sinking for almost 12 months now. Not really news. ;)

11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I've stopt playing, just hoping for a KOTOR 3

12. Jono

Given Disney has the franchise with new films on the way I doubt they will go back to the Old Republic and instead move the games to tie in more with the new films, which is why some are suggesting that 1313 is on hold.

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

KOTOR 3 is what they should have made in the first place, it's what TORwants so very desperately to be. It's a shame, really, how horribly wrong it all went, but they obviously weren't prepared to actually run and support an MMO over the long term. As usual, EA put profits before long term planning, and I really don't think BioWare has much of a clue about what it's doing anymore. Also, it has one of the worst FTP models I've ever seen.

14. Skywalker

Development on TOR started before EA acquired BioWare, I think. It would have been interesting to see how the game might have turned out if it just remained a LucasArts/BioWare project.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Can't see it being much different. It's been a long time since LucasArts was held in high regard. Pretty much since TPM came out it was re-purposed from a publisher of quality games (only about half of which were Lucasfilm licence titles) to a pretty cheep Star Wars merchandise machine.

Case in point: KOTOR. One of the few *good* Star Wars games made after the switch in focus and it was done by another studio.

As for what direction Disney may take, I'm pretty sure they'll take full advantage of the licence, so expect more TOR-era content to come. It may not be very *good* content and there's no telling in what form or medium it will be, but if there's profit in it, Disney will exploit it.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Can't say I'm surprised...can't say I'm even upset about it. The LucasArts I grew up with and loved has been dead and gone a long time now.

Sure, 1313 looked interesting, but then so did 'The Force Unleashed' before it came out. I honestly wasn't pinning any hopes on it.

Not sure how (if at all) this will affect ToR. Time will tell I suppose.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Doesn't EA have a 10 year License for TOR?

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't think that matters. It's only a matter of time before EA belongs to the Mouse. Since like 2004, rumors have cropped up every year about a EA/Disney joining. It's only a matter of time before those rumors become true.