Where's all the TREK EBOOKS at?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Garm Bel Iblis, Apr 6, 2010.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Well, I've got the Barnes & Noble Nook, and there are tons of Trek books you can download from bn.com. Of course, some of them are stupidly overpriced ... Sorry, but a book that came out in the 80s, then was reissued at 3.99 a few years back, should not be priced at 9.99 for an ebook. But a lot of them are 5.99 or less.

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

But have you noticed that thanks to Apple, the prices have gone up? They now cost the same as the paperback. And you cannot get discounts on them where you can at some bookstores for the paperback.

Apple is the one to blame for this.

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

[LEFT]
    from http://books.simonandschuster.com
    Star Trek: Enterprise: The Romulan War
    [/LEFT]
    available in eBook $9.99

Star Trek: Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru eBook. $7.99

(Part of Star Trek: Enterprise)
    The Good That Men Do in eBook $7.99

Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many
    eBook $7.99

Star Trek: Vanguard: Precipice eBook $7.99

many others
    http://www.simonandschuster.com/search?term=star+trek

even on the bn.com site priced between $5.99 and $15.99
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Star-Trek/Dean-Wesley-Smith/e/9781416506881/?itm=62&USRI=star+trek
    $11.99 eBook Price
    Pub. Date: July 2005
    and

Star Trek : The Next Generation: Genesis Force (Genesis Wave Series #4)
    Star Trek by John Vornholt$15.99 eBook Price

Yeah that is not right.
    $16. for an e-Book novel!?
    It costs them nothing once it is in electronic e-Book form. No publishing small runs.
    It can no longer be said that something is out-of-print for an e-Book....

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as the ebooks don't cost MORE than the paperbacks, I really could give a damn. :shrug:

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But they do cost more than the paperbacks; I can get the books in print for 25-33% off list at Borders with their weekly coupons. There's no equivalent discount on ebooks anymore.

6. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Hopefully at the end of that preposition.

7. crotig

crotig Ensign Red Shirt

I just hope that with the advent of the ibooks store that the problems with ebook rights internationally get's sorted out so that those of us outside the US can buy the latest books as ebooks when they are released. I'm not an apple fan but if ibooks makes this happen I'll be happy. I do agree though the pricing is ridiculous.

It probably won't happen anytime soon though so I'll have to jump through the usual getting-a-parcel-delivered hoops for the most recent books.

8. JWolf

Apple is not going to help with geo-restrictions. We will still have them and we will have higher priced Trek eBooks. Thanks for nothing Apple.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Hmm. Well in that case, I'll pay the premium for ebooks, via iBooks :razz: , since they're just too darn convenient.

10. JWolf

All I can sais why the heck do you want to try to screw up Star Trek eBooks for the rest of us? We want eBooks sold via iBooks to tank so maybe Apple will stop selling them. Then prices can hopefully get back to being realistic once again. You obviously do not care about being an adult. You just have to flaunt the fact that you are going to do this no matter the consequences and let the rest of us be damned. At least buy them from some other eBook shop, strip the DRM and then read via iBooks. At least it would not give any money to Apple for eBooks from the agency 5.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

I have an Ipad and Have to admit the prices of Trek Ebooks are insane and this started happening a while ago. The ebook should be slightly cheaper than the dead tree format, not more money.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

You may wish to get down off the cross, use the wood to build a bridge, and GET OVER IT. I'm not in some sort of conspiracy or anything like that. I'm simply exercising my rights as a consumer. I find Apple convenient to buy from; check. I find iBooks convenient to use; check. I find their prices reasonable; check. That's it, really.

If you don't agree, then by all means, don't buy from Apple. Paint them as The Man(tm) if you wish. Vote with your wallet. But you will not drag me into this, understand? IT'S NOT MY FIGHT.

:rolleyes: You will, please, stop that. Like I said, I'm not deliberately trying to oppress The People(tm), I'm simply exercising MY RIGHTS as a consumer. I buy from Apple because they are convenient for me to use, and I find their prices reasonable. You don't have to agree, of course. Everyone has the right to buy from wherever they find convenient. If, for me, this happens to be Apple, then that is the end of the discussion.

I'm not a pirate, thank you.

Like I said, it's not my fight.

13. JWolf

It's everyone's fight. It's the fight to have reasonable prices. I'm not saying iBooks is a problem to use. The problem is that Apple allowed the agency model which raised the price of Star Trek eBooks. What we want is to have Apple tank when it comes to selling these agency modeled eBooks so maybe they'll stop and prices can go back down. iBooks allows the use of ePub eBooks that do not have DRM.

Stripping the DRM for your own personal use does not make you a pirate. You are not giving them away/uploading to the net. It's called fair use which is what you'd be exercising. Then you could have those eBooks usable for more then just the iPad long after the iPad was history.

Do you care about helping drive the prices up or do you care about helping to bring the prices down?

14. Mr. Laser Beam

And I say the prices ARE reasonable.

Neither one. I care about BUYING THE BOOKS. Their prices are reasonable TO ME. So I WILL BUY THEM.

I could not give less of a crap about the 'agency model' or anything like that. If I thought the prices were too high, I wouldn't buy them, but I think the prices are reasonable, so I will. So there.

You think I want Apple to tank? Hell no! They're just what I need! I get everything from them - computers, music, books, the whole thing. They serve my needs. Why would I have a problem with them? :lol:

15. JWolf

Why can't you read what I write? I'm not advocating Apple tank as a company. I'm advocating that Apple selling eBooks via iBooks tanks. Most people who know about the agency model wants it to go away.

The prices are not all that reasonable as they are fixed and stores are not allowed to give discount or have sales. So while I can get a $7.99 Trek paperback for 25 - 40% off via Borders coupons, I cannot get anything off of a Trek eBook. So what we are doing is paying more for eBooks then we are for paperbooks.

16. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ I hate to break this to you, dude, but that ship has sailed. Those 5 publishers are selling by the agency model in EVERY ONLINE EBOOK STORE, and pricing is uniform. At this point, it has dick-all to do with Apple. Unless you plan on boycotting literally everyone, I think you just have to deal with it.

17. JWolf

The idea is to try to get Apple to tank when it comes to selling eBooks from the agency 5. So then maybe the other eBook shops can band together to do away with the agency model.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

But at this point, everyone's doing it, so apple tanking wouldn't be any more likely to cause change than Kindle or B&N tanking or anyone else.

Also: Apple's store is not going to tank. That's just wishful thinking.

19. JWolf

What would be optimal would be for Apple to tank selling eBooks and then the others could go to the publishers and say...

Apple did not do well with your agency model. We will not have it and you will do away with it. We want to be able to sell eBooks without unreasonable restrictions.

And then the agency 5 give in and life is good.

20. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whatever the source of the georestrictions they're not helping: I'm in Aus, customer 'service' at S&S (both the US and .au subsidiary) tell me they won't sell me an ebook of Star Trek: Vanguard: Precipice at any price (the pbook in Aus is AU$14.99).

When fictionwise still had them I could buy geo limited books via micropay: now I can't buy them at all.

I don't have the space to keep pbooks - looks like it's back to the book exchange for me. :rolleyes: