Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting. They've made changes in the characters (naturally, since the originals hardly had any personality), but it's still grounded in who they were before, just extrapolating and elaborating on it. This might actually work.

The bit about Trini being "mysterious" would've been a stereotype if she were still cast as Asian, but I guess that's not an issue with a Latina actress in the role (although her surname is apparently still Kwan).

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Teaser trailer is finally out!

3. Christopher

Hmm... Feels a bit generic, but maybe that's partly due to most trailers being made by the same two or three companies. It's definitely not the same backstory as the original, though. These teenagers actually do have attitude. Rather than hanging out at a juice bar/gym/community center, they meet Breakfast Club-style in detention; and rather than being recruited out of the blue by Zordon and Alpha, it looks like they stumble upon their powers Chronicle-style and go through the usual "What's happening to us?" learning period before finally going off to see the Wizard. What do you want to bet they're the ones who accidentally free Rita after 10,000 years?

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

In the trailer the coins were glowing inside the rock/crystal before the rangers got them, I assumed they reacted to Rita/the dragon coin being close, which would mean she's already free. I'd prefer that.
    The rangers freeing Rita would also mean she has to be in Angel Grove or close by, that's too similar to Ivan Ooze who just happened to be buried in the middle of the city.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting teaser. I'm not a fan of them having super powers outside the suits, though. It makes the ranger powers less special. At least on the various TV series when the rangers had civilian powers they kind of complimented their ranger powers, not kind of made the Ranger powers redundant. I hope that they don't totally ignore all of the admittedly goofier aspects of PR. I like the more serious approach, but a morph and roll call, even if its more toned down then the show, is something I really want to see. Still, overall the teaser was pretty good, and I'm excited to see the movie.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has potential. I was half expecting a complete and total trainwreck and based off the trailer, it will at least be better than that. I was hoping for at least a glimpse of Zordon, but I guess they must be saving him for later.
    EDIT to respond to Kirk55555:
    Yeah, I was a little surprised to see them having powers outside the suits, but it could be that either a) the suits enhance their powers, or b) they are simply to hide their identities like other superheroes.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's a smart move myself if they're trying to appeal beyond the audience of the TV shows. I can see people drawn to it that would normally never be interested in seeing stock Power Rangers product. It looks like they're trying to dip into that superhero market. I could see it being irksome to a PR purist but as someone who can't get into the Americanized shows and isn't as attached this approach makes sense.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming that the suits probably give them more offensive powers/weapons, and that they probably can't withstand huge monster attacks outside the suit. Not being effected by the headbutt of a teenager is a bit different then being hit by a monster. That's my theory, at least. They probably have the civilian power up to fight the equivalent of "putties" in a superheroic way, but need even more power when a big monster shows up. It makes the minions more threatening to normal people that way.

9. Christopher

The Rangers having superpowers in unmorphed form was fairly common for a while, at least since Ninja Storm in 2003. Even Super Sentai adopted the idea in Go-Busters. Although each Ranger had a different power, e.g. one might be superstrong, another superfast, that sort of thing.

Yeah. The only way something like this can succeed is by appealing to a broader audience beyond the existing fanbase. So the goal is to balance that broader appeal with satisfying the fans, and that can be tricky. I'm sure the teaser trailer was designed to be the most conventional, in order to ease new audiences into the idea of the Power Rangers. The next trailer or two will no doubt feature more of the costumes, Zords, Zordon, etc. And if it follows the usual formula, the first trailer will be the most serious, the second trailer will show us more of the plot and action, and the third will play up the humor more. (Remember how the Ghostbusters teaser trailer made it look like a solemn action thriller?)

As for Dino Super Charge, the advance description of this week's "Trick or Trial" sounded fascinating: "The Rangers are summoned to an intergalactic trial for crimes against the monsters they have destroyed." Imagine a story that actually confronts the morality of the Rangers' lethal methods! But of course I knew we'd never actually get that. What we got instead was just another lame excuse for a Halloween clip show, and the trial was rigged from the get-go.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I was expecting something on a grander scale. I know. I know. It's a teaser.

Maybe it's because they filmed in a small town in Canada. It looks like a made for TV movie from Canada.

11. Christopher

Of course, a large part of the reason they don't show much effects footage in teaser trailers is because they usually haven't finished making it yet.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I realized after my last post that the reason we didn't see Zordon might be because they don't have any footage of him that is finished enough to show.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Power Rangers was after my time, didn't get into it and found incredibly cheesy. I was at that age where looking at it confused me on how it attracted any like or attention and then I'd turn to watch TMNT. The "fights" and "effects" and "acting" in it were all just hokey. But, again, it was after my time by a few years.

That all said, I got to say this trailer looked pretty good.

14. Christopher

I was 25 when it started. It was well after my time, but it also starred Amy Jo Johnson, one of the most beautiful, sexy, and talented actresses I've ever seen, so I watched it despite how silly it was. In fact, most of the original cast was quite appealing, though mixed in the talent department. I also enjoyed the stunt work and the imaginative designs. Over the years, the writing got a lot better and the characters somewhat more developed, although the later cast members were rarely as effective as the original bunch.

Aldo likes this.
  15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ah, yes, the Pink Power Ranger, yeah whenever I would catch some of it she was about the only reason why I would even bother.

16. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & Somewhere..! Moderator

This looks like it could be pretty good. Hopes up. Rita hovering over Trini in bed was pretty witch like and menacing. I see the potential.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember Amy Jo Johnson being my first celebrity crush. Power Rangers was ok, but when I think of shows from my childhood, Power Rangers is pretty low on the list. This trailer looked really cheesy.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I figure its to explain how a bunch of teenagers can fight Rita's foot solders sans power rangers suits.

19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the 90s, they did it with the power of HEAVY METAL MUSIC, yo.

I watched this with my wife, and we both think that the whole Twilight-esque vibe of the trailer means that they're still a bit behind the times, as it were.

Mark

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral