Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Overseas broadcasts prior to the mid-70s were 16mm film. From season 10/11 onwards broadcasters started to request 2" quad tapes.

Power:

Australia - Returned to BBC London in 1975
    New Zealand - Sent to Singapore in 1972 (IE there were only two sets of prints sent round the world over three countries)

Evil:

Australia - Returned to BBC London in 1975
    New Zealand - Junked by the NZBC prior to 1974

If you want some bedtime reading, you can look here:

http://missingepisodes.blogspot.co.nz/p/howmanyprints.html

Though parts of the bicycle chain is out of date in light of new information, and I hope to update it in the coming months.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder where he had to go to shoot his scene for An Advtenture . . .? Maybe it was closer to home whereas travelling to Cardiff for Day of the Doctor could've been problematic?

I'm not sure. But, I too was hoping he'd appear in Day of the Doctor! They did put Ian's name on the school sign though! Not the same but a nice touch.

Mr Awe

3. Mr Awe

^ Just checked, An Adventure in Space and Time was filmed in London. I'm sure it was much easier for William Russell to get there than Cardiff!

4. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Do Doctor Who cast members have to jog or walk to Cardiff to be in an episode? I would think a limo or car would be able to take them.

5. Mr Awe

^ He's 89 so a long ride could still be problematic. I don't know that is the issue though, just hypothesizing.

6. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He enjoys travelling.

He keeps himself pretty busy on the signing circuit of late; 5 years ago I made special effort to meet him - one of the last classic companions I hadn't met and I had to - after all my name is Ian!, he's done at least 6 signings this year, another 4 lined up already, including Glasgow, Middlesbrough (the next day!) and Belfast.

When I met him in February he said he was annoyed all he was offered these days is cameos.

7. Mr Awe

^ I met him in London at the 50th Celebrations. Very nice man! Glad he enjoys travelling! He's doing well for being nearly 90!

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's actually said in SJA that it's *rumoured* Ian and Babs don't age, not that they definitely don't.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I'll take Ian's appearance on "The Crusade" video over Sarah Jane's "rumours." :)

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Crusade video intro as canonical as any screen appearance to me.

11. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Planet 55 have formally announced they aren't currently working on animating any Who episodes and there are no plans to do any more, cue mass speculation they don't need to animate the rest of The Underwater Menace because Phil Morris has found them but won't be handing them back until Ian Levine explodes like a burst balloon.

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

So that means The Underwater Menace is the only existing episode of Doctor Who that still hasn't been released.

13. Rarewolf

It's easy - they were spotted whilst travelling with the Doctor in the 21st century.

It's also possible the powers that be simply saw Web of Fear made record sales with a telesnap recon, so why fork out money on an animation? Now we know the two stories aren't in the same league, that 1/6 reconstructed is not the same as 1/2, but if it sold half as well they wouldn't complain.

But ultimatly the best option is for them to wait and see what Phil has.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Candlelight, thanks for the info.

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    How exactly would that work anyway? It doesn't seem to have affected Sarah Jane or Jo at all.

Honestly, outside of "The Invasion," I've been pretty unimpressed with the animated episodes so far. On the other hand, the telesnap reconstruction of "The Web of Fear, Part 3" worked so well that I barely noticed that it wasn't an actual episode.

Agreed! :(

I also think they could have worked Romana, Susan, & Leela into the Gallifrey scenes. (Even a much older Commander Maxil, perhaps?)

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Might not be down to the Tardis, might be down to the Dalek time machine they used to get home?

17. Rarewolf

In my case when I went to watch the story for the 2nd, 3rd time, I was actually surprised to see what scenes I had only watched as a recon, rather than as actual footage. Since I'd experienced the recon at the same time as watching 4 new(to me) episodes, this old mind of mine just jumbled the memories togther.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  19. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Dude. Any excuse to have Colin Baker appear in modern Who is a good excuse. We now know as fact that Ten regenerated and kept his same form, because he was so attached to that body. Perhaps Maxil has regenerated half a dozen times since then, and kept the same form each time? If he had Colin Baker's striking good looks, why on Gallifrey would he want to change that?

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally agree. Colin Baker is awesome, so really any excuse to see him would be awesome.