Smallville: season 9

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Obi Wana Jones

Obi Wana Jones Lieutenant Red Shirt

I predict we will see Superbaby, Superhorse, Supermonkey, and the rest of the Superclan from the DC campy 60s days before we see Smallville Superman in tights.

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I'm watching this show on DVD and am only toward the end of season 5 (although I haven't watched it in a few months - had to take a break as Lana was gettin' on my LAST nerve). But reading this thread, I have two comments -

1. Glad season 8 is good so far. That is encouraging. I was afraid it would suck - especially after the exit of Michael Rosenbaum, who was by far the strongest actor on the show.

2. I really don't think Tom Welling is a bad actor. I just think that, because the show has gone on so much longer than it really needed to for Clark/Superman to grow up, Welling just hasn't had enough to do or much worthwhile to say. Get him in one of the big episodes and he rises to the occasion. But so much of Smallville is fluff teen drama. And seriously...how long can Welling sustain that wide-eyed innocent crap before a) he feels ridiculous doing it and b) the audience doesn't buy it any longer.

In short, I really don't think it's Welling. I think it's the situation he's in - 8 seasons into a 4 season show.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Lana gets on everyone's nerve around the middle of season two...at least that was how it was with me. Season Eight has been very good so far, we'll see how the second half goes starting on Thursday.

4. PKTrekGirl

Oh yeah...she's been on my nerves for a while. But I was cruising right along - watched the first 4 1/2 seasons in about 10-11 weeks. Then one day it was like I hit a wall. I could no longer take another minute of Lana's drama queen antics. I was OVER it. :lol:

That was about 3 months ago. I just decided to take a break.

But I have all the sets, so I'll eventually get back to it. Actually, this thread is fairly encouraging...so I might try and pick it up again soon.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Be sure to make it to the Oliver Queen episodes. Green Arrow's arrival really helped save the show for a lot of people.

6. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

:lol:

You reminded me of what I started doing around season 4. I normally record the episodes as they air onto my hard drive where I edit out the commercials and save them to my archives. In season 4 I started to edit out every scene Lana was in except for the few that she had with either Clark or Lex. Other than when interacting with those two her character and plotline really had no bearing on the show. So when I watched the Lanaless edited versions later, I found I liked it a lot better and had many fewer :rolleyes: moments.

Lana and Kristen Kreuk was an albatross on this show that should have been left in Paris at the end of season 3. I find her very unattractive as well as an actress with no talent. Were it not for the original show-runner's obvious Lana-lust and need for teen angst, this show would have been much better regarded and liked over the years. Much as how season 8 has been.

7. PKTrekGirl

Heh. That's actually a good idea. Liberal use of the FF button through her scenes with everyone but Clark and Lex would keep the main part of the story intact, I think. Because, now that you've caused me to think about it, I can't recall much from her scenes with anyone else that I ever cared about or that was relevant to the story as a whole. :lol:

I mean, there will still be :rolleyes: moments - especially in some of her scenes with Clark (why he even gives a damn about her drama queen ass at this point is beyond me :p ). But using your method, there will be alot fewer of them to have to stomach, for sure.

Lois is a much better character than is Lana. In fact, as things stand right now, toward the end of season 5, the only things I look forward to about this show are:

1. Lex's scenes
    2. Lois' scenes
    3. The stuff that has DIRECTLY to do with Superman (the Fortress of Solitude/Jor-El stuff)
    4. The opportunity to drool over Tom Welling, who, regardless of anything else, IS an extremely beautiful guy. :lol:

8. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

News on Smallville's fate via www.supermanhomepage :

"[The CW's Entertainment President, Dawn] Ostroff declined to definitively say Smallville is over after this season but she indicated this is the direction the CW is leaning. The producers have been told to create a season-ender that could also serve as the series-ender."

Just when it seemed to find it's footing, too.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Lex and Lionel should have been written out around the 5th season. Of course Lex could have been a reoccurring character. But everything they are doing now should have happened a few seasons ago. Its all just too little too late.

One thing that has not helped the show is, outside of HDnet which most people don't have, is that previous seasons are not being rerun anywhere. Has not been on Family Channel in years. Whatever audience it has now is those who hung in through all these years. Plus casual viewers who return for certain event episodes. But I doubt its has many new viewers. Even its most faithful fans would say the show has a lot of filler episodes. 8 seasons worth of episodes is a lot to sort through for a new viewer on DVD.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Very true. For some reason I recall reading that they had low ratings in ABC Family's opinion and dropped it.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

And, last time I checked, it isn't on HDNet anymore either.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I remember my CW station airing episodes at 9 on saturday till they stopped all of a sudden. We also had Stargate SG-1 season 10 and Atlantis but that was dropped too(Sunday from 1 to 2).

Now we have "Lost" season 1.