sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might just think night vision but the entire EM spectrum would be rather more impressive than IR alone. Imagine tailing someone talking on a cell phone (commonly happens,) hiding around a corner but still seeing the signal. Or tracing radioactives by spotting a few stray gamma rays. Or being able to ID materials by their appearance in the UV. Or being able to always see flushing in suspects by IR. This would be incredibly handy in fires.

But it would just be neat for the show to take the character's POV of cosmic ray ioniization. Or an X-ray look at the sky. The IR from the eyelids would cause a lot of angst, maybe excessively.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Looks like BBC have commissioned a show set in Atlantis to replace Merlin this Autumn. Will be filmed in Morocco (and Wales) and looks like the creator is Howard Overman who writes Misfits, wrote for Merlin, Dirk Gently and Vexed, and will be produced by the same people as Merlin.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoy Merlin and Misfits, so I'll definitely be checking that out if I get the chance.

6. Christopher

I like Merlin, but I loathed the pilot of Misfits so much that I didn't even finish it. I've rarely seen such a heavyhanded, graceless attempt at superpowers-as-teen-angst-allegories. Oh, the shy character turns invisible! And this girl's a telepath who can hear all the nasty things people think about her! And the like. It was all so formulaic and ploddingly self-conscious. And it was trying so hard to be edgy that it was just thoroughly unpleasant. The wisecracking kid who was supposed to be the comic relief was just a contemptible, narcissistic whiner that I quickly grew to despise.

But hopefully this Atlantis will be more in the vein of Merlin. Sounds like it will be.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lead cast in Bloodline.

Anybody remember her as the succubus from The Gates? No? Yeah I guess about four people watched that show...

Still not sure how to parse that, but I assume that "warrior" is not a poetic metaphor for organized crime or a homeowner's association, but rather has a fantastical twist to it, even if it's more cultural than supernatural, some kind of hidden subculture that has survived for eons. It would be cool to see fantasy that isn't the kind of fantasy with vampires et al.

8. Temis the Vorta

No idea what to make of this. Anyone read the book?

9. Christopher

I haven't read the book, but Neal Stephenson is a major SF novelist, and it's always nice to see TV looking to SF novels for source material. (I guess the success of Game of Thrones has prompted more interest in that direction.) I just hope it turns out better than FlashForward did.

10. Temis the Vorta

I'd really like to see HBO/Netflix/etc do an epic space opera based on a novel series.

More monsters in the Arctic! (Which made me wonder, which has more monsters by now, the North or South Pole?)

So when is Michael Bay going to do a movie about a sudden plague monsters being freed from their Arctic/Antarctic prisons by global warming? ;)

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'd love to see a TV Space Opera based on Martin's Haviland Tuf series or McDevitt's Priscilla Hutchins series, but neither one is violent enough (and the last Tuf story was actually a parody of that when he returned to a planet to find that his prior adventure there had been twisted into an Abrams-style movie). The best bets for turning a classic Space Opera into a TV series are probably Niven's Known Space, Smith's Lensman series or de Camp's Planet Krishna. Australis would no doubt add Banks' Culture Series, and I wouldn't disagree with that.

12. Temis the Vorta

Mike Vogel cast as the lead in Under the Dome.

That's funny, he looks more like Ken. ;)

Is Bloodline going to be Tarantino style pulpy?

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Funny you should mention that. I was watching the original fifties version of THE BLOB a few weeks ago. At the end, after the frozen Blob has been airlifted to North Pole, some general announces that the world is safe . . . "as long as the Arctic stays cold."

We are so screwed . . . .

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Time for a sequel.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wrote a fanfiction that in part suggested the Founders of the Dominion were a contraceptive gel for some massive spaceborne lifeform, that got out of hand.

16. Temis the Vorta

Guy writing fanfic is our Scary Thought for the Day. :p

Maybe they should rename it Breaking Dome.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the book, but I did find the description on Amazon.

19. Temis the Vorta

Thanks. I wondered what a "techno-hunt" is. :D

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is the latest on the 11/22/63 film?