Dallas - Season 2

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I agree. Judith Light did a great job in the role. I expect she'll be back. Harris has to have what he did to her hanging over his head to keep his chicanery interesting.

2. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

How could it not? Especially after the way actress Julie Gonzalo portrayed it. Can't wait to see the fallout from that, and what it will mean for her relationship with her father.

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It will be months before that comes out.

4. Caligula

You sure you're not thinking of actress Judith Light (Emma's grandmother)? Otherwise I'm confused.

5. wissaboo

It will take months before it is known that Cliff was behind the bombing and that he knew Pamela was there.

I love the way they are playing out the relationship between John Ross and Pamela.

6. Caligula

Ah, well yes you could be right about that. I also agree that the John Ross/Pamela dynamic has been quite fun as of late.

7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is what I figured. With 20 years between the final episode of the original and the beginning of the "14th season" anything could have happened. Perhaps Morgan Brittany didn't want anything to do with the show and they "killed her off." Or maybe they just think she's dead.

Considering everything that happens seems to be attached to a plot twist, I wouldn't assume much of anything at this point.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

^Fair points, all.

I liked the episode, and I like that they've kept Cliff and Afton apart. I wasn't too crazy about how Bobby and Afton were butting heads, as they seemed to always get along on the old show, but then again, she probably blames the Ewings for what happened to her daughter and was reacting to that.

Too, (and this is so minor) the company was originally called Wentworth Industries, not Barnes Global. Cliff's mom married Herbert Wentworth and when he died, she inherited all his companies, including Wentworth Tool & Die, which Cliff then restructured as Barnes-Wentworth. He eventually sold Wentworth Tool & Die to Bobby and it merged with Ewing Oil in the final season of the old show. This is when Bobby then offered Cliff a partnership at the new Ewing Oil he was launching (after the government seized the "original" Ewing Oil.) This of course did not leave J.R. very happy, as he was not working in oil at the time, but he did eventually return after spending a night trapped in an elevator with Bobby and a crate of fancy wine.

I'm a bit cloudy on the details (its been a while since I watched the final season), but Leann De La Vega swoops in and buys Ewing Oil out from under J.R. and Cliff and sells it to Michelle (April's sister.) Cliff wound up marrying Michelle in the final season to get control of Ewing Oil and ends the series as the sole owner, much to the chagrin of J.R.

I am assuming that's all what is being referred to now as Barnes Global, which when you think about it, would include old Ewing Oil assets, which must just drive John Ross crazy. :lol:

:rolleyes: John Ross had that title in the bag five minutes in to the season premiere. If you're going to make sexist, hateful comments like that, make sure it goes both ways.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  9. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

You're conflating some events here. Just to clarify:

Okay so far.

Cliff sold Barnes-Wentworth to Westar at the beginning of Season 12 when he was despondent after his wild-goose chase for Pam led to a meeting with a different actress wearing rubber burn makeup. ;)

Bobby offered Cliff a partnership in the new Ewing Oil after he won approval from the government to use the name again, in part because Cliff had the cash on hand he needed to buy Clayton's refinery. J.R. also came back on board, because he owned the former Ewing Oil assets, but wasn't allowed to become a full partner again until after the night he and Bobby were trapped in the elevator. This led to the usual friction between Cliff and J.R., with Bobby trying to play peacemaker.

Cliff ultimately took his ball and left during Season 13 after J.R.'s P.O.S. oil tanker collided with Westar's during a storm at sea. Cliff then heads up the state investigation into the accident, and is later named head of the state's Oil Regulatory Commission.

[/quote]I'm a bit cloudy on the details (its been a while since I watched the final season), but Leann De La Vega swoops in and buys Ewing Oil out from under J.R. and Cliff and sells it to Michelle (April's sister.) Cliff wound up marrying Michelle in the final season to get control of Ewing Oil and ends the series as the sole owner, much to the chagrin of J.R.[/quote]
    Cliff is long gone when LeeAnn De La Vega buys Ewing Oil; Bobby sells it to her because he wants out of the business following April's death, and J.R. is left standing by the wayside because the feds won't let him take over the company on account of past shenanigans. LeeAnn then sells the company to Michelle for a song as a parting "fuck you" to J.R., and Michelle's first act as the new president of Ewing Oil is to fire J.R.

I'm down to the last five episodes, so I assume the rest of your summing up is accurate, but I did want to untangle those other events.

edit: Holy hell, I need to step away from the TV. :eek:

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

:facepalm:

Fine. We'll say it's like Mr. and Ms. Olympia. Men's and Women's division title.

11. doubleohfive

How many women has John Ross been with since the series began? Let's see:

-Elena, who he cheated on with
    -Marta Del Sol, the bipolar girl with the secret identity
    -the girl in the season premiere (who he was using so he could get leverage on her dad),
    -Pamela, his cousin's soon-to-be ex-wife,
    -Annie Wersching's character (who he was only using to get dirt on) and finally
    -Emma, who he hooked up with right after his father's death.

... am I missing anyone? All of this with no comment or judgment from you.

Then here comes along Emma. The aforementioned fling with John Ross, and then Drew.

And that's it.

Yet, she somehow now qualifies -whether jokingly or not- to be deemed the "Southfork Slut" by you.

The the only thing more outrageous about that post/opinion than how offensive that is would be the inherent, sexist hypocrisy it is demonstrating.

Elaborate for me why it's ok to call a woman a slut because she becomes involved with two men, yet a character like John Ross (or J.R. even) can go around and hop in to bed with anything that moves and yet not be criticized for it?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

They both have exciting sex lives. Neither one should be criticized.

13. doubleohfive

My point exactly.

14. wissaboo

I thought we were pretending it was 1978 when Dallas was first on the air and being slut was still a thing. :confused:

15. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

If you're in the UK, CBS Drama are showing Dallas The Early Years, on Saturday and Sunday, as well as the two reunion movie, J.R Returns and War of the Ewings on Sunday

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I criticize John Ross on practically everything else and you jump to his defense, but this time I agree with you and you want to start a fight because I didn't go far enough for your tastes?

:rolleyes: and :facepalm:

I'm done. I've got better things to do in life than raise my blood pressure arguing with you over a soap opera.

17. doubleohfive

No. You criticize Josh Henderson for not playing John Ross as you would like him to.

There's not a peep in that post about John Ross's man-whoring, which has been well established by now to be just as frequent and unabashed as his father's was in the old days.

Meanwhile, nearly every other post you've made in this thread discussing the female characters has been on the same basic topic: the way they look:

And now the "Southfork slut" comment, which you have the audacity to defend because you claim to have said same about John Ross, which you haven't. Even if you had, it doesn't excuse the comment.

So maybe take a step back and think about you regard women vs. men, and maybe also stop for moment to consider that women - whether on TV or in real life - are far more than simple sex objects to be ogled, evaluated, objectified or derided solely based on how they look or who they date.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Last night's ep had the best performance I've seen from Julie Gonzalo since this series began.

And Harris is really racking up the a-hole points, and he's doing it old school. "Rich man hires thugs to beat up daughter's boyfriend." Always a classic.

19. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I half expected him to run Drew down with his Range Rover while they were in the parking garage, but that would likely be the end of his relationship with Emma.

I agree about Julie Gonzalo, this was definitely her best performance so far. The scene where John Ross finds her on the balcony was really good. I hope they keep going with this John Ross/Pamela pairing, because they definitely have better chemistry together than either did with their previous significant others in the prior season.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Agreed. With her at these times Josh H. manages to show a couple of decent acting chops.