Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They haven't fixed a date to my knowledge, but they're shooting for April.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Agree, it is arguably the best season of TNG with an outstanding cliffhanger. I am looking forward to an April release:)

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^Even more interesting is that we could be seeing The Best Of Both Worlds remastered in it's entirety in April. I'm excited enough about these blu rays that I might buy season 3 AND the special BOBW release.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't entirely like the fact that if you want both episodes, you have to basically buy them twice. One as it's own set, and the other as part of Season 3 and then Season 4 of the blu-ray main set. I wouldn't mind if they offered up exclusivity like they did with Best Buy and include the BOBW disc as a bonus disc. It would be better than paying an extra $10 (just a guess) for episodes you're already going to get with the rest of the series. I do like however that it sounds like both Part 1 and 2 are being remastered by CBS-Digital. Would hate to have one look awesome, and have the other with the possibility of looking like what we got with HTV.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No, you just have to wait. If you want both episodes but don't want to buy them twice, just buy the season sets and skip the standalone release. :)

7. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best of Both Worlds edited together as a feature length episode? But the DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAA needs to cut to credits for maximum impact! :p

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If they really wanted me to flip, the feature length edit of BOBW would also include the opening of DS9's Emissary in the correct spot.

Don't worry, I'm not serious...but it'd be cool. ;)

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If you read that article, it only refers to the AUS release by Paramount Australia.

We might not be even getting a BOBW single disc release. The release date for S3 might also be different for the US.

10. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The BOBW disc is for worldwide release as far as I'm aware. Regarding the release date - as I mentioned in the article, US/European dates may differ by a few days either side, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

11. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Will those same bonus features be included on the season 3 and 4 blu-rays as well or will we have to buy this special set to get them?

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:drool:

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

With seamless-branching Blu-ray technology offers the option of watching multiple versions.

Considering CBS did just one Blu-ray disc with Tribbles for TOS (the TOS and TOS-R episode, the TAS episode and the DS9 time travel episode) it would be a nice gesture to give BOBW a similar royal treat, at least as an exception from the rule.

In regard to the supposedly "incorrect" framing of "Sins of the Father" I can't possibly find fault with it, especially since it is the only correct framing during this entire BD release that represents the DP's original intentions because he expected the areas outside the safe action frame to be cropped by the overscan of our 4:3 tube television sets, then.

A properly calibrated flat screen with 1:1 pixel mapping or no overscan will display this episode as it had been intended to be seen by the audience.

The amount of time, money and talent literally wasted to clean up production flaws, especially in the top and bottom areas of the images - areas considered expendable by the DP's because unseen by 4:3 TV audiences - is interesting, to say the least.

Bob

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt Enterprise will get even near the sales that TNG is getting.

But maybe it won't matter, since releasing Enterprise on Blu-Ray is as simple as just copying their masters to Blu-Ray format.

TNG has been a lot of painstaking work, but so far it's been worth it for what we're getting.

I personally wanted more, but happy to get what we have.

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if this points to having a BOBW 1+2 Fathom screening. I was hoping for Yesterday's Enterprise and BOBW1, but I'll take the two-parter.

Well, I'm assuming they continue the Fathom screenings - it's a great idea.

I suppose it would be nice to include the second part of any season cliffhanger with the preceding season so the 2-parters are together. But years from now, when all seasons are available together, I doubt it will matter. Changing discs isn't a big deal.

Off-topic - the cover for the Enterprise BD set is a mess. Ugly Photoshop with pasted-on heads. TNG's is much better by comparison.

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That would actually be pretty cool. I'd still want the episode as it originally aired but this would be an amazing special feature.

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has there been a fan edit of the scenes in question?

19. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Not that I've scene, but I wonder how that would fit? There is some pretty fancy stuff going on in that DS9 footage. Would it mesh properly within S3 TNG?

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm not sure it would fit that well. Most of the action we see surrounds Sisko and what he's going through, with the giant battle just sort of happening in the background.

Plus, as NewHorizon says, the effects and direction are MUCH more dynamic than what we see in BOBW. It would stand out like a sore thumb.