STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Overall that's lower, but the film is only two weeks into its release.. I would suspect it's box office take is higher than Trek 2009's was at the same point in its release cycle.

Yancy

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

so 21 to come though China was not on that list.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here are the release dates from Paramount's site. 28th May is the Chinese release date.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone know why they didn't they release Trek on the same date worldwide?

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Worldwide the total is much higher than at the same point of ST09's run.

RAMA

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

No movie does that.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Tomorrow is my last go round for STID, unless someone else bugs me to go see it. There will be 4 of us total. OK Paramount, you've had plenty from me.:bolian:

8. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Today was my 4th time seeing it, went with my folks. Theater was very close to being sold out. I do know that F&F 6 was sold out.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

After the same number of days in release Star Trek '09 had made $155.5 million domestic and $70 million international (from 57 markets) for a total of $225.5 million worldwide.

10. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you're right.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

But is it the kind of attention you want garnered...

14. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps not in tickets but ...

1. they'll get a bunch of free publicity from newspaper articles pointing out "50 years of Star Trek marked with a new film yadda yadda..."

2. they can profit from other companies using this anniversary to flog their products, and advertise ST at the same time as well, "Coca Cola celebrates 50 years of Star Trek" and such...

3. also it's easier to sell the back-catalogue if you have a new shiny thing in the display that everyone is talking about, both syndication rights and box sets are more likely to fly out of the shops.

And I'm sure corporate minds will find other ways of profiting from it as well...:techman:

2016 is pretty much a lock for the next one.

15. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

The franchise is split at the moment, between CBS and Paramount, but a success of a new movie is a success for the whole franchise. Trek 09 saw boxsets for all the other series sell like hotcakes. I was hoping this movie would do the same. I already have all Trek shows and movies on DVD, but I double dipped on a few of them, on Blu ray, when ID came out, my interest in the franchise rejuvenated. And of course, the DVD retailers have tons of Star Trek stock in, at the moment.

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2016 is as long as we should have to wait anyway.

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Then you should have remember that when posting another of your pro-nuTrek comments in the TOS forum:

Agendas are easy to spot, guy.

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not even close, CrazyHorse89.

I disagree. Observing various threads on nuTrek, a large, defensive body of members do behave like someone with a personal or professional stake in the success of the film. For example, I like some of the Marvel Comics films, but if one underperforms, it is not a matter for me or others you cite to scramble, wondering if it will add numbers in this or that territory, make it up on home video, etc.

At the end of the day, it is just a film, and this is just a discussion where the rule does not say "only BR/JJ supporter opinion welcome."

Some make it their priority to keep posting rather bitter comments attempting to criticize others for their opinion, which is (in my view) beyond the border of trolling, as it is not rare. Further, if nuTrek is the wonder that they hope/wish it to be, there woud be no need for such a concentrated, defensive effort. Honestly, if a few, random observations threaten nuTrek, then the film was in danger right out of the gates.

...but the danger comes from superheroes, comedic oddballs and fast cars, not a few message board members.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bear in mind that by the time the 50th anniversary arrives, kids who watched Star Trek as teens during its first run will be collecting Social Security.

This is not an audience that's of much use to the studio. For one thing we'll be getting the Senior Discount on our tickets. :lol:

20. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Funny, I AM collecting Social Security and I did get the senior discount ($6.00).